Just another day at the office

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Headed to a meeting this morning and decided to pass by Holy Jim to capture a pic of my Jeep with snow capped mountains. Before I made it too far I got flagged down as someone had rolled their Jeep and was hanging precariously on the edge of a steep drop known as jeep hill. (Should be renamed rollover hill as no less than 5 vehicles has flipped there in the last 6 months).

Decided I’d go up and lend a hand. Got in position as the secondary recovery vehicle, while a Bronco attached a strap to keep it from rolling down in the event our winches failed.

In all the excitement the primary recovery vehicle sucked his remote cable into his winch, short circuited it and fried his Harbor Freight winch.

WARN to the rescue! I hooked up around the frame just under the lower control arm. And got him over on all four wheels and pulled him out in one motion. Love my WARN ZEON 10-S. Worked like a champ. I didn’t get too many pictures as I was focused on safety and not damaging anything.

After I got him out I was in my way and was only 15 minutes late to my lunch meeting. All in a day’s work.

Oh and one of the guys noticed my wayalife banner. He said he loves “our” videos! Told him I’m just a member of the forum but that I’d pass it along. IMG_7199.jpg IMG_7200.jpg IMG_7201.jpg IMG_7202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Good thing you were there. Was it able to start afterwards?

I literally left as soon as I knew he was safely off the ledge and in a spot where he could work on his rig. Felt bad but I really had to make it to my meeting for work. It’s looked like it was in pretty good shape tho.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Always so much stupidness in that canyon. Good thing for these guys that you just happened to stop by.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
How do you roll your jeep on a wide ass fire road. What an idiot.

That section is actually very narrow and the remains of an old truck that flipped stand there rusting away as a reminder but people still underestimate that hill. Just goes to show you should always pay attention when wheeling.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Always so much stupidness in that canyon. Good thing for these guys that you just happened to stop by.

So true. You get a bunch of idiots trashing the place on the weekends. I’m actually looking to plan a cleanup event to go thru and clean up all the mess people made up there. It’s really sad to see all that mess on the trails.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Nice[emoji482] had to feel good to lend a hand! -Awesome- bet the driver shit himself though[emoji23]

Yeah kinda made my day. They actually spent the night there as apparently it happened the night before. Luckily they had a small two man tent and gear so they were able to make the best of it.

Kinda makes you wonder tho. What the heck were they doing?

fiend

Caught the Bug
That section is actually very narrow and the remains of an old truck that flipped stand there rusting away as a reminder but people still underestimate that hill. Just goes to show you should always pay attention when wheeling.

I’ll take your word for it. I’m just going by the photo. Any way, agreed re need to pay attention.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Yet another day at the office. This time it was a Toyota Tundra. We were at Holy Jim playing in the rain and decided to head up the “dreaded” Jeep Hill. They say you shouldn’t go up in the rain cause it’s too slippery and well, let’s just say “they” are right. We got half way up the third switch back before my buddy slipped right into a large rut, luckily on the mountain vs cliff side. We decided to call it and head back down the hill. On the way down we passed a Toyota Tundra going up who clearly had no idea what he was getting into. We advised him to turn around up ahead and went on our way.

That’s when the fun stared. The water had created a large rut that pushed you right towards a steep and narrow path that if approached at the wrong angle would easily flip your rig. To make matters worse, the camber had you sliding in the worse possible direction with all the mud, right towards the rut/ridge. It took us a couple of tries to get up an over but we were able to with no real issue.

In comes the Tundra. Long story short he ended up right where he didn’t want to be. Stuck on the edge just before the drop. Couldn’tgo forward and risk flipping and was so stuck he couldn’t go backwards. He had blocked the pass so no one could get by him to winch him back. After several hours of troubleshooting I came up with the idea of using a tow strap anchored to a tree and wrapped around his rear tire. After spinning for a bit the strap eventually dried up with the friction, caught traction as literally popped him out of the rut.

It was a long night but definitely had fun finding a unique way to “self recover” a vehicle. If only I had a snatch block it would have been so much easier. Hmmmm.... time to add that to “the list”.

Top Bottom