Auto or Manual

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I’m in the market for a new tow rig. I’m really debating on going with a manual. What’s your thoughts ?

benatc1

Hooked
Manual will be much stronger and last longer (as a whole). I personally prefer a manual when I’ve towed. My truck has a auto in it now and it’s totally fine but I’ve always preferred the ability to select gears. I know Auto is easier but I was searching high and low across the US for a 06 Dodge 6peed with under 100k and prices were rediculous. Ended up getting an Auto because of availability and price and it’s worked out well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Omnifox

I’m in the market for a new tow rig. I’m really debating on going with a manual. What’s your thoughts ?

I tow with a manual.

Just like with a Jeep, an auto is usually fine if not better... HOWEVER, you look and feel much MUCH cooler with a standard transmission.

Seriously, how can you jam out to this in an auto? Though, with the fact I buggered up my knee in racquetball yesterday, I do kinda regret it. Nah... Not really.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Manual will be much stronger and last longer (as a whole). I personally prefer a manual when I’ve towed. My truck has a auto in it now and it’s totally fine but I’ve always preferred the ability to select gears. I know Auto is easier but I was searching high and low across the US for a 06 Dodge 6peed with under 100k and prices were rediculous. Ended up getting an Auto because of availability and price and it’s worked out well so far.

Did you look at Dennis Dillion Dodge in Idaho ? They have some great prices.

Ddays

Hooked

The older I get the more I like auto's. We recently picked up a '17 F250 auto. I personally think it makes the whole hookup/parking/manuevering process a helluva lot easier. My wife will also be hauling with it and while she grew up on a manual herself, its one less thing to have to worry about. It does have a manual selector on the shifter that's really easy and convenient to use if you need to shift manually or want to hold a gear.

I used to agree with this but the newer auto's are pretty damn stout. I've heard of some of the Dodges having auto issues but then I really don't frequent truck/towing forums either. Too bad the Fords & Dodges don't come with that Allison tranny

benatc1

Hooked
Did you look at Dennis Dillion Dodge in Idaho ? They have some great prices.

Yes I did actually look there, prices were good but not what I was looking for with low enough miles. Also I don’t recall the right combo with a manual when I was looking. Ended up finding mine in Washington State.

The older I get the more I like auto's. We recently picked up a '17 F250 auto. I personally think it makes the whole hookup/parking/manuevering process a helluva lot easier. My wife will also be hauling with it and while she grew up on a manual herself, its one less thing to have to worry about. It does have a manual selector on the shifter that's really easy and convenient to use if you need to shift manually or want to hold a gear.

I used to agree with this but the newer auto's are pretty damn stout. I've heard of some of the Dodges having auto issues but then I really don't frequent truck/towing forums either. Too bad the Fords & Dodges don't come with that Allison tranny

I will give you that, definitely depends on the year and you are correct they have gotten A LOT better. Man a Allison combo with a Cummins would be delightful!!

Exodus 4x4

Too bad the Fords & Dodges don't come with that Allison tranny

I used to have a Duramax for this reason. The new transmissions are pretty good though, at least on the Fords. The older E4OD’s sucked but they’ve come a long ways since them. I wouldn’t have any hesitation buying one nowadays.

Remlap

Ram 2500 Cummins

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Cummins with a manual transmission, love that goddamn stick shift rig im keeping it forever.

I load up a 2500lb truck camper on the bed and flat tow jkur with it - 35’s, full set rockhard steel skids, full rockhard cage, winch etc so pretty heavy I guess and then we pile all sorts of shit in it when towing.

I did not want to add supplemental brakes to the Jeep so I thought a manual in conjunction with exhaust brake would do the job, which it does very well. Been all over Rocky Mtns and even an emergency stop, no problemo, hardly ever even use brakes for most situations and gives me something to do on long hauls because pushing buttons to shift is gay.

Now for all I know some auto transmissions diesels have more effective exhaust brakes, but my last truck was a 13’ Duramax with auto transmission and exhaust brake hardly did shit. Was a nice truck but would definetly want supplemental brakes on the Jeep with that setup as unnecessarily downshifting with the gay button simply over revved truck and made me look stupid, if it even let me do it that is but maybe I just didn't use the gay button right, fucking hated that gayass button.

Sidenote on manual Cummins though if you are not aware - they are detuned for the G56 transmission and from what I’ve heard a new clutch is in order for any performance enhancements, supposedly as little as 30hp increase can cause stock clutch slippage.

Not a huge concern to me as I’m in no hurry, truck hauls like a beast but is not fast at all like the new pussy autos seem to be, oh well.

Now I’m not sure about older ones but that’s how mine is. Also has some sort of bullshit torque converter that in some instances has dumped power on me if I dont shift it like it wants me too, lots of people really complain about this but I’ve only noticed a few times into fourth gear with an awkward high revved shift.

Just kind of takes getting used too, but so much fun to lock rear axle, get turbo spoolin’ and dump clutch in second gear leaving two 50ft patches haha, that should fetch me a new clutch soon enough and probably change my own tune on the performance upgrades.

Bonus - 35’s fit on these trucks without rubbing on 2” leveling kit, love this truck keeping it forever just like the Jeep.

TrailHunter

Hooked
IMG_6779.jpg

12.5 years strong with my Allison, but If I had to do it again right now... I’d probably buy a Dodge with the Cummins. The IFS is the weak link on the Chevy’s. I vote Automatic.

Edit: I think you can get the Aisin Trans in the 3500 Dodge/Cummins.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
There should be a label in the engine bay re whether it’s 50 state compliant or not. Possibly also determinable by the VIN, although I’m not sure about that.

I remember my buddies 2000 Manual Tacoma had less towing capacity than the Auto. Not sure if that is the case with the Dodge. Also I know Kenworth offers an automated manual transmission. Its a computer controlled manual transmission. No clutch pedal or stick. True manuals in trucks are going the way of the dinosaur. I know when I purchased my Sentra last year their CVT had better fuel efficiency but the manual had 6 more horses..haha. OK I'm way off track now. What happened to your Ford?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I remember my buddies 2000 Manual Tacoma had less towing capacity than the Auto. Not sure if that is the case with the Dodge. Also I know Kenworth offers an automated manual transmission. Its a computer controlled manual transmission. No clutch pedal or stick. True manuals in trucks are going the way of the dinosaur. I know when I purchased my Sentra last year their CVT had better fuel efficiency but the manual had 6 more horses..haha. OK I'm way off track now. What happened to your Ford?

The Cummins with the manual is detuned significantly to make the trans live. In a 2500 the only auto is the 68RFE which is plenty strong if you leave it stock. In the 3500 you can get the Aisin trans as an option and the engine is actually higher output with the aisin. The aisin the just as strong if not stronger than the Allison. They are very similar transmission designs actually.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom