Bass lake/ Yosemite

black pearl

Hooked
Taking off for some time in the mountains and snow. What are some good spots in this area? We'll be staying at bass lake but plan on driving into Yosemite as i haven't been there before.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PatyWagon

Can't speak of Yosemite but Bass lake is awesome. Extremely cold right now, but if you can tour by boat the homes along the shore edge are cool! Been told the lake scenes from John Candy movie THE GREAT OUTDOORS was filmed there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Can't speak of Yosemite but Bass lake is awesome. Extremely cold right now, but if you can tour by boat the homes along the shore edge are cool! Been told the lake scenes from John Candy movie THE GREAT OUTDOORS was filmed there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'll have to rent that movie as we'll be staying right by the lake! It's only supposed to be about 11* at night [emoji23]

critter812

Grew up in Fresno spent every summer at Bass Lake and Yosemite! Not sure what your into but there is a ton of cool stuff to see in Yosemite. make sure to see Half Dome, Check out all the Redwood stuff.

black pearl

Hooked
Grew up in Fresno spent every summer at Bass Lake and Yosemite! Not sure what your into but there is a ton of cool stuff to see in Yosemite. make sure to see Half Dome, Check out all the Redwood stuff.

We're not to sure what areas are going to be open due to the snow right now. But I want to see as much as possible the short time we are there.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Awesome! I’ve been going to Bass Lake every year since I was 16... Great Scenery in that area.... 2 weeks after getting my Jeep from the dealer...the first trail it set tires on was in Bass Lake on 4th of July Weekend. It’s a 20 mile point to point trail with some hidden Gems along the way.... It’s very easy (in the summer) but f’n beautiful and I plan on doing it again this year.... there are a lot of steep drops though and not sure how maintained it is in the winter.... I will PM you the trail.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Any bass fishing on Bass Lake?

Yup... before 8am and after 8pm boats are restricted to 5 or 10mph and it’s the best time to fish... on a busy weekend you can find a few coves to drop a line and during the week is usually pretty nice. I’ve Never been in the winter... but I bet it’s beautiful.

black pearl

Hooked
Any bass fishing on Bass Lake?

Yup... before 8am and after 8pm boats are restricted to 5 or 10mph and it’s the best time to fish... on a busy weekend you can find a few coves to drop a line and during the week is usually pretty nice. I’ve Never been in the winter... but I bet it’s beautiful.

I have my bass pole and fly rod in the jeep. I'll definitely be testing the fishing out in the cold.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Check out the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad. Your Daughter will love it... Great food & cabins at “The Forks” and Ice Cream & Burgers at “Millers Landing”

black pearl

Hooked
Check out the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad. Your Daughter will love it... Great food & cabins at “The Forks” and Ice Cream & Burgers at “Millers Landing”

I just wrote this all down to give to the event coordinator (my wife). As we have no set plans but to get away and see new things. [emoji106] thank you!

TrailHunter

Hooked
I just wrote this all down to give to the event coordinator (my wife). As we have no set plans but to get away and see new things. [emoji106] thank you!

Ok... I got some Winter Intel for Bass Lake... “The Forks” is closed, “Miller Landing” might be open... “The Pines Village” may have a couple things open and the Sugar Pine Train is closed... there is a ski slope called “Badger Pass” near by that should have sledding areas for the kid. The Lake is low but still has water... Here is a Shot from a couple days ago:

IMG_6780.jpg

Yosemite will have maps and advice from Rangers when you pull in. The entrance is only about 20min from Bass Lake. You can enter Bass Lake through the town of Oakhurst or go the back way through O’neils Road (if coming from Fresno) which has more curves and is pretty scenic with ranch homes and rolling hills.... Have fun exploring. Can’t wait to see the pics.

black pearl

Hooked
Ok... I got some Winter Intel for Bass Lake... “The Forks” is closed, “Miller Landing” might be open... “The Pines Village” may have a couple things open and the Sugar Pine Train is closed... there is a ski slope called “Badger Pass” near by that should have sledding areas for the kid. The Lake is low but still has water... Here is a Shot from a couple days ago:

View attachment 294798

Yosemite will have maps and advice from Rangers when you pull in. The entrance is only about 20min from Bass Lake. You can enter Bass Lake through the town of Oakhurst or go the back way through O’neils Road (if coming from Fresno) which has more curves and is pretty scenic with ranch homes and rolling hills.... Have fun exploring. Can’t wait to see the pics.

Wow! Thank you for intel, you did the hard part for me [emoji23] now I just get to enjoy the trip. We'll have a bunch of pictures I'm sure [emoji106]

critter812

Yep the drive in from the Fresno Side is very scenic! Probably the only thing I miss about Cali is Bass Lake! Badger Pass has sledding park right out side the lodge. The Lodge is really nice too. I Broke my Arm at Badger pass when I was 17 while skiing! that was not a fun Ambulance ride home! :cheesy:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I just heard Yosemite rangers are requiring 4x4 vehicles to Show that they have chains or cables in the vehicle but not requiring them to be installed.... I would confirm this on-line or call. Or if you have some, just throw em in the Jeep... My buddies father in law is there right now and they are getting hit with snow .... not sure when you’re going if it will be an issue....

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wroads.htm

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
I just heard Yosemite rangers are requiring 4x4 vehicles to Show that they have chains or cables in the vehicle but not requiring them to be installed.... I would confirm this on-line or call. Or if you have some, just throw em in the Jeep... My buddies father in law is there right now and they are getting hit with snow .... not sure when you’re going if it will be an issue....

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wroads.htm

I'll have to check that, thanks for the heads up. I'm about to head that way and will be there through Monday. Do you think they will check size ? I have some cables they just won't fit my 35s

TrailHunter

Hooked
I'll have to check that, thanks for the heads up. I'm about to head that way and will be there through Monday. Do you think they will check size ? I have some cables they just won't fit my 35s

It’s worth a shot.... and they definitely aren’t going to measure them.... worst case scenario if they call you on it, or force you to install... Oakhurst or Fresno should have some. I’m sure you’ll be fine. Drive safe. [emoji1360]

Yosemite is pretty awesome to check out. Most of it is closed in winter but the valley floor is open. There’s not a bad view and they just got dumped a lot of snow too!

Top Bottom