Stupid Question...JK Lifespan

ibis9999

So this may come across as a stupid question, but what the hell.

I leased a 2016 JKU Backcountry 18 months ago. It’s my first Jeep, and in fact my first American car in many years. I have to admit I’m in love with it, but I will add that I’m disappointed I didn’t get a Rubicon.

My question is simple to ask but probably not simple to answer. If I decide to purchase this Jeep what kind of mileage/lifespan can I expect to get out of it? I am meticulous with respect to maintaining it. I use only synthetic oil and change it every 3500 miles. I use only the best premium gas. I use spray wax after every wash. Frankly my wife thinks I have a disorder [emoji6] but I love this thing!!

I should add that it’s a 6 spd manual to boot.

Any replies would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffd

unless you crash it or it gets stolen it will last pretty much forever. No reason to think you should not get 300,000 miles or more with proper care.

aermid

How much money ya got? ;)

I certainly plan on keeping my JK a very long time, but I also plan on putting money into it when things need replaced/rebuilt. The only reason I'd replace it is if we decide to downsize to a 2-door after we retire; even then I'm trying to talk the Mr. into just overlanding out of the jeep :)

Per the 2016 Wrangler owner manual:
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide optimum fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gasoline is not required, as it will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines.

I've traditionally used 87 octane in my 2016 sport which has the 3.6, and have never heard even light knocking; could possibly save some $$ at the gas station.

small edit: always check the vehicle owner's manual, no matter what car, for manufactured recommended oil and gas; could save you some bucks in the long run

Last edited:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I have a 2007 JKUR 6 speed with 95k miles on it. Probably 95% road miles and 5% trail. I have done a lot of modifications and upgrades to it since I bought it completely stock back in 2010 with 24k road miles on it. I change the oil and other fluids at their recommended (or slightly early) periodicity. My JK is still running strong and much more reliable than my previous WJ or XJ.

The only thing I actually needed to do outside of the manufactorer’s recommended maintenance was to preserve my undercarriage. Meaning I busted the rust, primed and painted the entire undercarriage and my axles. In the last 7.5 years I’ve had to it three times (including this last fall). The JK spent its first 3 years in New England (CT), 3 in San Diego, another 2 in RI and then the past 2years in AL. It has seen more than its fair share of salty winters. I think my frame would have rotted out a year or two ago if I hadn’t done this preservation. The original owner (in CT) never washed the undercarriage when he washed the JK.

Sahara_Maverick

It will depend on how lucky you are with the electrical and electronics.

My 07 JKU Sahara appears to have reached the end of its useful life with approx. 120k miles.

It's TIPM keeps failing and it's already in the third one. The failure is always the same and the dealer simply cannot find the real issue.

They replaced it a few weeks ago and it's already showing the same symptoms. Since they make it extremely unreliable I guess it's time to part with it and move to something else.

So, if you are lucky, many and many years of fun. If not, a big frustration. Therefore, it depends on you considering where a car that in 2018 still depends on luck to work properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
You're halfway into a lease I'm assuming? Why not run it out and figure out if you want a new JL in a year and a half. Then you can get the rubicon (good idea), and still have the option of buying.

I logged 210,000KMs on my 2008 JKUS, with the 4 speed auto. About 110,000Kms with 33s, 2.5" lift bumpers front and rear. I DD it 120km per day 5 days a week. Never once left me on the side of the road.

51,000km now logged on my 2016 JK Rubicon, 2.5" lift 35s. Rock solid.

I'm anal on fluid changes as others have said. Like clock work every Sunday i check my oil, and do a visual imspection, under the hood and under the Jeep.

Take care of your ride it will take care of you.

I plan on at least another 200,000Kms on the 2016 before I make my next move.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your owners manual specifically states to use 87. It's what your motor really wants and it'll save your pocket book too.

As far as lifespan goes, my 2007 has almost 200,000 miles on it. The motor was holding up just fine before swapping it out back at about 115,000 miles. I was still running the original clutch too. I did go through a pilot bearing and 2 clutch slaves though and it did have an annoying popping out of first problem but I understand that's been fixed in newer JK's.

ibis9999

You're halfway into a lease I'm assuming? Why not run it out and figure out if you want a new JL in a year and a half. Then you can get the rubicon (good idea), and still have the option of buying.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. But I have the upgrade bug and I’m not sure how much of the equipment I buy now will transfer to the JL.

toyotire

Any tier 1 gas station ie Chevron, Conoco, Shell Etc should have additives to help prevent carbon build up. There is only one reason I would run premium (I don't ) is if the premium was pure gasoline and the lower grade was 85%. In my neck of the woods I can get real gas the majority of the year. I notice a difference in MPG when the lower grades switch to oxygenated fuel, altho not enough to make up the price difference in the long run between that and premium.

Ddays

Hooked
While I know it's not a Jk, my '12 Durango with the same 3.6 just turned over 233k miles a few days ago. Tranny is holding up just fine as well. Modern day engines will last well over 200k with decent care. One of the nice features of the JK's are their relative mechanical simplicity. You can do most of the parts replacement yourself with a good set of simple hand tools :thumb:

That BS from the dealer about carbon is ridiculous. Higher octane fuels actually burn cooler than low octane fuels. Sad that they are giving bad advice like that. :grayno:

I think the word “premium” has people thinking it’s better. The best explanation I’ve ever read on gas grades is that the lower the grade the easier and -faster- it combusts. The higher grade is a much slower burn, so if you’re using high grade gas in a engine that does not require it(forced induction, high compression, etc) you’re actually less efficient and depending on application even releasing some unburnt fuel into your exhaust. Depending on which gas you buy premium also has more additives and cleaners which is cool but pretty unnecessary.

WJCO

Meme King
As Eddie stated, use what the manufacturer recommends for Octane. I wouldn't worry about carbon buildup unless you're having a particular symptom related to that.

As far as vehicle life, keep up on maintenance, that's all you can do. Suspension bushings start wearing out around 100k or more as well typically.

DMF

Like other have said, just use regular 87 gas thats what your engine needs. But use top tier gas because they add more detergent to it. Some cheap (non top tier) brands uses the minimum amount require by BPA while top tier gas uses more to keep your engine cleaner.

Top Bottom