Thread: EVO body mount tire carrier questions

Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar

EVO Hinged gate tire carrier questions

For you guys running the EVO Hinged gate tire carrier have you had any issues, noise, or tailgate flex. I going back and fourth between this and Poison spider rock Brawler.

Also, will I need to run a added wheel spacer with a 4.5 or 3.5 back spacing wheels I found one video online about this tire carrier and the guys needed a wheel spacer to get the tire to fit.

I currently have 35's and moving up to 37's, so I need something strong.
    Last edited by MericaMade; 03-02-2018 at 07:21 PM.

EVO body mount tire carrier questions

Works great! I have ATX Slabs with 3.5” backspacing and you do not need wheel spacers. You will if you use the stock tires though (wheels with more backspacing).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The EVO carrier will not rattle if adjusted properly. The key to that is actually having the joints slightly misaligned causing a tighter fit with the securing pins. Not sure about stock wheels, but no spacers needed if you run aftermarket wheels - the securing bar accommodates pretty much any tire/wheel combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Works great! I have ATX Slabs with 3.5” backspacing and you do not need wheel spacers. You will if you use the stock tires though (wheels with more backspacing).

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    The EVO carrier will not rattle if adjusted properly. The key to that is actually having the joints slightly misaligned causing a tighter fit with the securing pins. Not sure about stock wheels, but no spacers needed if you run aftermarket wheels - the securing bar accommodates pretty much any tire/wheel combo.
    I'm sorry guys, I'm an idiot, I meant the EVO Hinged gate tire carrier SMH!

For clarification, I was referring to the one that costs around $600.

EVO body mount tire carrier questions

I have 35s on a 4.5” backspacing wheel without a spacer. When I had my stocks wheels on it I needed a spacer though. If you’re going with 4.5” or less you’ll be fine.

Edit: disclaimer- I’ve only had the 35s on it for about 24 hours. Lol. But reading around the forums here gave me the indication that it will hold up just fine. I think I saw somebody on here mounted a 40(?). Could be wrong about that but this thing feels solid.

Last edited by -AINOKEA-; 03-02-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Evo’s Spicy Chicken build had 40’s and the Carrier held up well. I’ve had 35’s and Beadlock mounted on mine for a half dozen wheeling trips and it has been rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    For clarification, I was referring to the one that costs around $600.

Yeah that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by -AINOKEA- View Post
    I have 35s on a 4.5” backspacing wheel without a spacer. When I had my stocks wheels on it I needed a spacer though. If you’re going with 4.5” or less you’ll be fine.

Edit: disclaimer- I’ve only had the 35s on it for about 24 hours. Lol. But reading around the forums here gave me the indication that it will hold up just fine. I think I saw somebody on here mounted a 40(?). Could be wrong about that but this thing feels solid.

Thanks for the info. Is there any drawbacks going with this type of mount?

You shouldn’t have too much of an issue with 35s, the thing is definitely strong enough to hold a 40

IMG_4302.jpg

Only issue i have had with it was that the 40 sits low even on the highest setting and if it catches a rock going down a ledge it might catch and bend upward twisting the brackets that hold the tire, JUST TO BE CLEAR this did not damage the tail gate or the body, just the brackets that hold the tire to the carrier, this is probably the reason why they say it’s only for up to 37” tires.

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    You shouldn’t have too much of an issue with 35s, the thing is definitely strong enough to hold a 40

IMG_4302.jpg

Only issue i have had with it was that the 40 sits low even on the highest setting and if it catches a rock going down a ledge it might catch and bend upward twisting the brackets that hold the tire, JUST TO BE CLEAR this did not damage the tail gate or the body, just the brackets that hold the tire to the carrier, this is probably the reason why they say it’s only for up to 37” tires.

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg
    Oh man!!!! This is what I was worried about, but I bet that is a 1 in a million chance.
    Last edited by MericaMade; 03-03-2018 at 05:55 AM.