Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: EVO body mount tire carrier questions

  1. #1
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755

    EVO Hinged gate tire carrier questions

    For you guys running the EVO Hinged gate tire carrier have you had any issues, noise, or tailgate flex. I going back and fourth between this and Poison spider rock Brawler.

    Also, will I need to run a added wheel spacer with a 4.5 or 3.5 back spacing wheels I found one video online about this tire carrier and the guys needed a wheel spacer to get the tire to fit.

    I currently have 35's and moving up to 37's, so I need something strong.
    Last edited by MericaMade; 03-02-2018 at 07:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Old Timer Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    STL metro
    Posts
    2,608

    EVO body mount tire carrier questions

    Works great! I have ATX Slabs with 3.5” backspacing and you do not need wheel spacers. You will if you use the stock tires though (wheels with more backspacing).


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3
    Addict Ddays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    8,725
    The EVO carrier will not rattle if adjusted properly. The key to that is actually having the joints slightly misaligned causing a tighter fit with the securing pins. Not sure about stock wheels, but no spacers needed if you run aftermarket wheels - the securing bar accommodates pretty much any tire/wheel combo.

  4. #4
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Works great! I have ATX Slabs with 3.5” backspacing and you do not need wheel spacers. You will if you use the stock tires though (wheels with more backspacing).


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    The EVO carrier will not rattle if adjusted properly. The key to that is actually having the joints slightly misaligned causing a tighter fit with the securing pins. Not sure about stock wheels, but no spacers needed if you run aftermarket wheels - the securing bar accommodates pretty much any tire/wheel combo.
    I'm sorry guys, I'm an idiot, I meant the EVO Hinged gate tire carrier SMH!

  5. #5
    Old Timer Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    STL metro
    Posts
    2,608
    For clarification, I was referring to the one that costs around $600.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #6
    Knows a Thing or Two -AINOKEA-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hilo, HI
    Posts
    513

    EVO body mount tire carrier questions

    I have 35s on a 4.5” backspacing wheel without a spacer. When I had my stocks wheels on it I needed a spacer though. If you’re going with 4.5” or less you’ll be fine.

    Edit: disclaimer- I’ve only had the 35s on it for about 24 hours. Lol. But reading around the forums here gave me the indication that it will hold up just fine. I think I saw somebody on here mounted a 40(?). Could be wrong about that but this thing feels solid.

    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by -AINOKEA-; 03-02-2018 at 08:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Old Timer Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    STL metro
    Posts
    2,608
    Evo’s Spicy Chicken build had 40’s and the Carrier held up well. I’ve had 35’s and Beadlock mounted on mine for a half dozen wheeling trips and it has been rock solid.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    For clarification, I was referring to the one that costs around $600.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Yeah that's the one.

    Quote Originally Posted by -AINOKEA- View Post
    I have 35s on a 4.5” backspacing wheel without a spacer. When I had my stocks wheels on it I needed a spacer though. If you’re going with 4.5” or less you’ll be fine.

    Edit: disclaimer- I’ve only had the 35s on it for about 24 hours. Lol. But reading around the forums here gave me the indication that it will hold up just fine. I think I saw somebody on here mounted a 40(?). Could be wrong about that but this thing feels solid.

    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Thanks for the info. Is there any drawbacks going with this type of mount?

  9. #9
    Nothing but a Thing Benito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Mexico/Texas
    Posts
    1,277
    You shouldn’t have too much of an issue with 35s, the thing is definitely strong enough to hold a 40

    IMG_4302.jpg

    Only issue i have had with it was that the 40 sits low even on the highest setting and if it catches a rock going down a ledge it might catch and bend upward twisting the brackets that hold the tire, JUST TO BE CLEAR this did not damage the tail gate or the body, just the brackets that hold the tire to the carrier, this is probably the reason why they say it’s only for up to 37” tires.

    IMG_4591.jpg

    IMG_4596.jpg

  10. #10
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    You shouldn’t have too much of an issue with 35s, the thing is definitely strong enough to hold a 40

    IMG_4302.jpg

    Only issue i have had with it was that the 40 sits low even on the highest setting and if it catches a rock going down a ledge it might catch and bend upward twisting the brackets that hold the tire, JUST TO BE CLEAR this did not damage the tail gate or the body, just the brackets that hold the tire to the carrier, this is probably the reason why they say it’s only for up to 37” tires.

    IMG_4591.jpg

    IMG_4596.jpg
    Oh man!!!! This is what I was worried about, but I bet that is a 1 in a million chance.
    Last edited by MericaMade; 03-03-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2017, 05:19 PM
  2. Crawler Conceptz body mount tire carrier
    By Sullivan in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-14-2016, 01:13 AM
  3. Body mount tire carrier and winch
    By colo dean in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2016, 08:27 PM
  4. Poison Spyder Body Mount Tire Carrier
    By REKLESS-RED in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-31-2015, 03:04 PM
  5. body mount vs bumper mount tire carrier
    By shortyokc in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-07-2015, 06:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS