Would you go Soft top or Hard top cross country?

Hard Top or Soft Top Cross Country?

• Hard Top

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Soft Top

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Jsouder53

Hooked
This just popped in my head today while working on my Jeep...

This coming summer, my wife and I are driving out west from Florida and we are debating wether or not to throw our hard top on (99% of the time is soft). We have been going over the pros and cons of each...

I want to get everyones opinion on what you would do... Would you go with the Hard top or the Soft top?

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I drove from Madison, MS, to the Pacific, and back last summer. Soft top all they way. If you drive a soft top most of the time, why run a hard top?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

We did the Texas Exodus last year from Houston, 3000 miles with my Trektop Pro hybrid. I don't feel like I'm driving a jeep when it has a hard top anyway. Soft top all the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
We've done several 8 hour trips to Kansas with the soft top in strong side winds for hours. The occasional gust will lift up the lip of the top making a loud noise but still totally worth it overall in our opinion. It's not that big of a deal.

RonG

I took several roads over the last couple of summers. I always put the hard top back on. I believed that it was more secure when I left my Jeep full of stuff in the parking lot of a roadside motel. Maybe I was deluding myself, but I never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Soft top.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hard! Literally.

We did the Texas Exodus last year from Houston, 3000 miles with my Trektop Pro hybrid. I don't feel like I'm driving a jeep when it has a hard top anyway. Soft top all the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

We've done several 8 hour trips to Kansas with the soft top in strong side winds for hours. The occasional gust will lift up the lip of the top making a loud noise but still totally worth it overall in our opinion. It's not that big of a deal.

The soft top isn’t a big deal. Now, soft uppers on half doors sucks.

I took several roads over the last couple of summers. I always put the hard top back on. I believed that it was more secure when I left my Jeep full of stuff in the parking lot of a roadside motel. Maybe I was deluding myself, but I never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you all for your insight! I’m leaning towards the soft top but we’ll see 👍

sipafz

Caught the Bug
If security is a concern, then obviously the hard top is the way to go. However if you take your stuff with you instead of leaving in the Jeep, then security isn’t an issue. I prefer the soft top, always camp with the hard top just to keep the raccoons at bay.

Jsouder53

Hooked
If security is a concern, then obviously the hard top is the way to go. However if you take your stuff with you instead of leaving in the Jeep, then security isn’t an issue. I prefer the soft top, always camp with the hard top just to keep the raccoons at bay.

Thats a good point. We will be camping for about a month in bear country

Jsouder53

Hooked
Even with a hard top, I wouldn’t keep food in the Jeep overnight in bear country.

Agreed. Happens at least once per year here.

When we camp in bear country we use a bear hang a good distance from our camp and we cook downwind of camp. Not meaning I was going to keep food in the Jeep 😬 just to make sure that everything else is a little more protected from them

WJCO

Meme King
When we camp in bear country we use a bear hang a good distance from our camp and we cook downwind of camp. Not meaning I was going to keep food in the Jeep �� just to make sure that everything else is a little more protected from them

Lol, same here. This bad boy is a good 50 yards from camp and 30 feet up off of the edge of a cliff and down wind as well.

DSC06673.jpg

I had a buddy I took camping about a year ago and it was his first time in bear country. I explained to him the importance of doing the extra work of keeping food away from camp, etc. He listened then, however, he was at the exact same spot by himself about a month later and said he was lazy and didn't feel like dealing with the bear hang. He was woken up about 3am by a big ass adult black bear about 20 feet from his tent that destroyed his ice chest. He said that he was scared shitless and will take the time to properly store the food in the future, lol.

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Why not both. My wife and I rented a cabin in North Carolina last year. I put the hard top on over the soft top. Once we got there we just took the hard top off and ran with the soft top the whole time. Just put the soft top down and prop it up a few inches and the hard top fits like normal. Of course this is only an option if you will be somewhere that you feel safe leaving your hardtop sit.

PatyWagon

After driving soft tops thru Kansas winters (when it snows inside the jeep) I always longed for a hard top, then when the new JK came out what did I do but get a soft top. Drive from ks to Florida and could barely have a conversation with anyone and ears rang for weeks. I drive hard top from now on.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Lol, same here. This bad boy is a good 50 yards from camp and 30 feet up off of the edge of a cliff and down wind as well.

View attachment 295263

I had a buddy I took camping about a year ago and it was his first time in bear country. I explained to him the importance of doing the extra work of keeping food away from camp, etc. He listened then, however, he was at the exact same spot by himself about a month later and said he was lazy and didn't feel like dealing with the bear hang. He was woken up about 3am by a big ass adult black bear about 20 feet from his tent that destroyed his ice chest. He said that he was scared shitless and will take the time to properly store the food in the future, lol.

Sorry for the hijack.
Haha that would make anyone take precautions for the rest of their lives, no matter the situation lol

Soft top, top down and radio up the whole way.

Edit: just checked your previous posts ... nice Jeep man. [emoji1303]

Thank you!

Why not both. My wife and I rented a cabin in North Carolina last year. I put the hard top on over the soft top. Once we got there we just took the hard top off and ran with the soft top the whole time. Just put the soft top down and prop it up a few inches and the hard top fits like normal. Of course this is only an option if you will be somewhere that you feel safe leaving your hardtop sit.

Unfortunately we will not have a safe place to store it

After driving soft tops thru Kansas winters (when it snows inside the jeep) I always longed for a hard top, then when the new JK came out what did I do but get a soft top. Drive from ks to Florida and could barely have a conversation with anyone and ears rang for weeks. I drive hard top from now on.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s what I’m scared of... we have made a few trips to Maryland to visit my in laws, a couple with the soft top and one with the hard top.

Top Bottom