Front drive shaft gone?

The BAD Influence

I've known that replacing the front drive shaft is highly recommended after a lift. I did install the exhaust spacers, but I think it's time for a new one. What say you?

Attachments

• IMG_20180305_151823.jpg
    IMG_20180305_151823.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20180305_151807.jpg
    IMG_20180305_151807.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20180305_151735.jpg
    IMG_20180305_151735.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 281

BumblebeeZA

Can you not just replace that little boot for now?
If they don't sell it separately, surely you could find a secondhand boot somewhere.

Here's what happens when you don't replace it.

Raised our jeep from 2.5" to 4.5" about a year ago. 6,000 miles since then. Decided I would risk it and see how long the OEM shaft would last. 6k is evidently the answer.
The only warning was a small vibration that lasted about 90 seconds before it blew at 65mph. No grease slinging prior to failure, checked every 500-1000 miles. Very lucky it didn't take out the T-case, transmission or exhaust...

Removed the 4 bolts from the front of the shaft on the highway, while laying in snow. Ruined our day of wheeling, but everyone was safe thankfully.

I'm a cheap bastard and I try to get away with the least expensive options often, but I recommend doing to shaft right now.
IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 121

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Raised our jeep from 2.5" to 4.5" about a year ago. 6,000 miles since then. Decided I would risk it and see how long the OEM shaft would last. 6k is evidently the answer.
The only warning was a small vibration that lasted about 90 seconds before it blew at 65mph. No grease slinging prior to failure, checked every 500-1000 miles. Very lucky it didn't take out the T-case, transmission or exhaust...

Removed the 4 bolts from the front of the shaft on the highway, while laying in snow. Ruined our day of wheeling, but everyone was safe thankfully.

I'm a cheap bastard and I try to get away with the least expensive options often, but I recommend doing to shaft right now.
View attachment 295457

View attachment 295456

I’ve had multiple factory driveline failures and they all gave warning long before complete failure. In fact, I never had one “blow up” while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug

View attachment 295457

View attachment 295456

I had this exact same thing happen. No previous noise or vibration. One day on high way I got a slight vibration I thought was the pavement surface actually changing a few seconds later kaboom... fire and parts every where.. nah wasn’t that bad but did only give about a min of slight vibration before it went.. I even changed lanes because I figured it was the rd

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had this exact same thing happen. No previous noise or vibration. One day on high way I got a slight vibration I thought was the pavement surface actually changing a few seconds later kaboom... fire and parts every where.. nah wasn’t that bad but did only give about a min of slight vibration before it went.. I even changed lanes because I figured it was the rd

I also thought it was the road, as there was a lot of snow and ice on the road. It sure was fun laying in the snow removing the front bolts on the shaft though, haha. Never did find any of the balls, but that's what 65mph gets ya, I guess.:crazyeyes:

Top Bottom