Breather extensions?

MaxWSU

IMG_9284.JPG

Where are the differential/transfer/tranny breather tubes? Do you think I should change my fluids.... this was the deepest part. Is there any way to know if I have water contamination without changing the fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bouche03

View attachment 295384

Where are the differential/transfer/tranny breather tubes? Do you think I should change my fluids.... this was the deepest part. Is there any way to know if I have water contamination without changing the fluid?

You are fine...the axle breathers are far higher than that and the tranny and TC are on top of the units and extended up wards. You are looking at less than 24" of water there. All good

wjtstudios

Hooked
Your rear axle breather is at the top of your rear frame member in the wheel well. The front axle, tranny and transfer run up under the hood on the firewall. If you want to upgrade your vents, look into the ARB diff breather system. Great product. No way to check with out changing the fluids. I always dump my diffs after a watery run. It’s easy.

BobNH

You can check them by taking out the fill plugs. If they are full of chocolate milk, you have water ingress. Well, diffs, xfer and manual trans. If auto, just pull the stick after driving a bit. If it doesn't look like tranny fluid, likely water. Never got water in an auto, not sure what color it turns.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can check them by taking out the fill plugs. If they are full of chocolate milk, you have water ingress. Well, diffs, xfer and manual trans. If auto, just pull the stick after driving a bit. If it doesn't look like tranny fluid, likely water. Never got water in an auto, not sure what color it turns.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yup, this. If you can’t see the fluid just dip a zip tie in there.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The front diff breather is on your left shock tower in the wheel well. Trans and transfer case are up by the back of the engine. You can extend your axle breathers for about $10 for 3/8" hose and some barb fittings. Run the front one up to your ABS/brake master area and the rear one goes up behind rear tail light.

jorgelrod

Hooked
The front diff breather is on your left shock tower in the wheel well. Trans and transfer case are up by the back of the engine. You can extend your axle breathers for about $10 for 3/8" hose and some barb fittings. Run the front one up to your ABS/brake master area and the rear one goes up behind rear tail light.

^^ This, it's one of those things that gives you peace of mind more than anything if you like to play in the wet stuff...

Top Bottom