Another recovery....

Oreo_penguin536

Used my winch for the first time and I had a few question. Keep in mind we were on a icy hill and slightly off camber
1: when you’re winching, do you just let the line lay on the spool however it does or do you have a way to guide it back on semi straight without endangering yourself too much

Not sure if I asked this before but
2: Do I need pretension the line everytime after I’m done winching or is that a 1 time thing?
WJCO I know you said if you spool it spastically you don’t need to pretension it but I was curious

3: does the angle matter for mechanical advantage? I had to do a redirect off a tree and was curious as to which angle is most efficient or if it matters that much *see picture below for reference, actual scenario was upper right corner* Image1520393144.313249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
1. Let the line do its own thing unless you see or feel it binding up. It's under thousands of pounds of force, you won't be able to guide it anyways if your Jeep is stationary.

2. I don't re-pretension mine.

3. Looks like you did just fine IMO.

fiend

Caught the Bug
There’s no mechanical advantage in any of those diagrams. Just a 1:1 pull with a change of direction (COD). The forces on the winch will be a bit more than the what’s being winched due to friction in the pulley. The main thing to be mindful of with a change of direction is the load on the anchor to which the pulley is attached. A line going to the COD anchor and coming straight back (0 degree change of direction) doubles the force on the anchor. The smaller the angle (e.g., the upper left diagram), the more the force on the COD anchor. The greater the angle, the less force on the COD anchor. The lower left set up has the least force on the COD anchor.

Last edited:

Oreo_penguin536

There’s no mechanical advantage in any of those diagrams. Just a 1:1 pull with a change of direction (COD). The forces on the winch will be a bit more than the what’s being winched due to friction in the pulley. The main thing to be mindful of with a change of direction is the load on the anchor to which the pulley is attached. A line going to the COD anchor and coming straight back (0 degree change of direction) doubles the force on the anchor. The smaller the angle (e.g., the upper left diagram), the more the force on the COD anchor. The greater the angle, the less force on the COD anchor. The lower left set up has the least force on the COD anchor.

So what I’m grabbing from ya is that their isn’t a way to do any type of mechanical advantage in this scenario and that this was a single line pull with a COD right? Only way to gain mechanical advantage would be to do a triple line pull and put a snatch block on Jeep 2 and anchor the hook end of the winch to a separate tree?

jesse3638

Hooked
So what I’m grabbing from ya is that their isn’t a way to do any type of mechanical advantage in this scenario and that this was a single line pull with a COD right? Only way to gain mechanical advantage would be to do a triple line pull and put a snatch block on Jeep 2 and anchor the hook end of the winch to a separate tree?

Well you could have gained a mechanical advantage my attaching a snatch block to jeep 1 and the running your hook back to a stationary point on the tree. If your winch lin would have been long enough you could have attached a snatch block to the bumper of jeep 1, attached a second COD to the tree and connected your hook to jeep 2. That effectively doubles the pulling power of the winch.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

VD0gg1t

If jeep two was winching to itself by being looped through the snatch block it would be an MA of two.

Oreo_penguin536

Well you could have gained a mechanical advantage my attaching a snatch block to jeep 1 and the running your hook back to a stationary point on the tree. If your winch lin would have been long enough you could have attached a snatch block to the bumper of jeep 1, attached a second COD to the tree and connected your hook to jeep 2. That effectively doubles the pulling power of the winch.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Like this? Image1520396473.010685.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
If you got the guy back on all four and everyone was safe and none of your shit broke, it's all good. Don't over think it too much. Good thing you had a snatch block with you.

fiend

Caught the Bug
This. Jeep 1 is winching vehicle. Jeep 2 is winched vehicle. Snatch block on vehicle 2. 2:1 mechanical advantage. IMG_3906.jpg

Top Bottom