Wrangler jk tire size question

Blackwrangler202

I have a 2012 wrangler jk sport, I currently have 265/75/16. A few days ago I installed a new bumper and fenders which I have more clearance than stock. I do not have a lift, leveling kit or spacers. I wanted to know being a stock wrangler can I jump up to 285/75/16 tires without any rubbing or issues? If someone could help out I would really appreciate it.

dirtdonthurt

I don't rub and I have that size tire on a stock jeep. I did cut the wings off the front air dam though. haven't rubbed yet.

BumblebeeZA

Yip, should fit just fine. You MIGHT get rubbing on full lock and flex but not much. Also, 285's on the 16" rim might fit funny on that rim, what is the width of the rim?

Fuhaxian

I'm running 285/75/17 and I'm running them just fine. I'm not sure but might be worth looking into if you need to get some wheel spacers if you running the stock wheels with no backspacing. I know a lot of people use SpiderTrax.

Blackwrangler202

I'm running 285/75/17 and I'm running them just fine. I'm not sure but might be worth looking into if you need to get some wheel spacers if you running the stock wheels with no backspacing. I know a lot of people use SpiderTrax.

I’m trying to stay away from wheel spacers because I know people that have issues with them, they put a lot more stress on the Jeep from what I was informed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I’m trying to stay away from wheel spacers because I know people that have issues with them, they put a lot more stress on the Jeep from what I was informed.

They do, but an average Jeeper probably won't notice a huge difference in accelerated wear to parts. If you were to choose different wheels with less backspacing, the exact same thing will occur as with a spacer because the center line of the wheel is moved outward.

Blackwrangler202

They do, but an average Jeeper probably won't notice a huge difference in accelerated wear to parts. If you were to choose different wheels with less backspacing, the exact same thing will occur as with a spacer because the center line of the wheel is moved outward.

So if i ended up going with spacers what size tire could I run with no lift do you think with no running?

Lakerat

I'm putting 275/70/18 (33") on my stock '12 JKU today using 2" spacers. I'll post a pic when I pick it up. From what I read they *should* fit. 😁

Last edited:

Wethy

So if i ended up going with spacers what size tire could I run with no lift do you think with no running?

I have 1.5" spacers and have had them on for 100,000KM with 285s and then another 20,000 with 35s. Still on stock ball joints/wheel bearings. Im inspecting them thos weekend as i imagine it will soon to be time to replace them. Im basically an average jeeper. Mostly road kilometres and some trails. I do check spacer torque every tire rotation so that will help also. Also i have a 2.5" now but i put the 285s on before i lifted it abd it was fine with jyst the spacers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Blackwrangler202

I have 1.5" spacers and have had them on for 100,000KM with 285s and then another 20,000 with 35s. Still on stock ball joints/wheel bearings. Im inspecting them thos weekend as i imagine it will soon to be time to replace them. Im basically an average jeeper. Mostly road kilometres and some trails. I do check spacer torque every tire rotation so that will help also. Also i have a 2.5" now but i put the 285s on before i lifted it abd it was fine with jyst the spacers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If I were to get new rims that had an offset of -44 and went with 33x12.5x15 do you think that would rub without spacers or do you think I shouldn’t?

Top Bottom