Vibration problem

jbg_132

My Jeep has been having a vibration at around 30-35 mph. When it happens, the whole dash board starts to shake, but not my steering wheel. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what could be causing this and how I can stop it, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My Jeep has been having a vibration at around 30-35 mph. When it happens, the whole dash board starts to shake, but not my steering wheel. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what could be causing this and how I can stop it, thanks.

Sounds like death wobble thats being held back by a steering stabilizer. I'd start running down the DW list

PT1400

That's because of the steering stabilizer. Run down the list of looking for something loose.

Other things to look for are missing wheel weights and bent rims.

jbg_132

So I got under and started checking for anything that’s loose, and I noticed that from my front driveline, which connects to another little piece that looks to have been added on by a previous owner; to my transfer case has some play. I have a feeling that that’s what could be causing the vibration.

FallonJeeper

A picture would help.

I was going to comment earlier that a vibration in the dash but not the steering wheel might be rear drive shaft issue.

The front drive shaft issue would most likely also be felt through the steering column if it was severe enough to be felt through the dash. It may be possible if your drive shaft is spinning with the front wheels and the shaft at the piece of drive train, the previous owner installed, (possibly an SYE) and transfer case is loose, it may just transfer vibration directly up through the frame/ body to the dash.

Again would be easier with a picture to see what this piece is.

I believe front driveshaft may run full time in a TJ unless you have a lockout hub conversion. I can't remember if my 97 had one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom