Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSC Big Bore XD? Yes or NO?

Quote Originally Posted by resqman911 View Post
    thats where Iím at, Would like the extra power but really dont want to mess with hydro.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    There's really not much to it. Beyond your existing (or replaced if you go PSC) components, the only additional thing you are adding is two lines and a ram. You already have a pump, reservoir and steering box regardless of what setup you go with.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just replaced my original XD box with the XD-II. The original had some problems but was remedied with the XD-II supposedly. The XD is bigger than stock and the XD-II is bigger than the XD. You can see a side-by-side pic in my build thread. I havenít had a chance to get it off-road but notice a lot of improvement in my steering on road. Iím also running the stock pump. You canít beat the hydro assist but I think just doing the PSC box is a good alternative. And as mentioned you can get the -R which is ported for assist if you want to go that route down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios- are you running the stock pump and reservoir?

Still OEM and itís been fine. I will add it the future to get the full potential out of the gear, but itís not necessary now.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Another point of view that has not been discussed in this thread but has been in other XDll threads is the simplicity of just the upgraded gear. The ram is another potential failure point in the system. I understand the need for the ram for 40+ tires and or going very fast off-road. The XDll is more than enough for 37s on hard trails and big rocks. I havenít run Moab, but others have with it and had no complaints. My only other recommendation is to upgrade your drag link. I bent the shit out of my OEM drag link from the increased power of the XD, not even the XDll. I now run a fusion and have had no issues.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

PSC Big Bore XD? Yes or NO?

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Another point of view that has not been discussed in this thread but has been in other XDll threads is the simplicity of just the upgraded gear. The ram is another potential failure point in the system. I understand the need for the ram for 40+ tires and or going very fast off-road. The XDll is more than enough for 37s on hard trails and big rocks. I havenít run Moab, but others have with it and had no complaints. My only other recommendation is to upgrade your drag link. I bent the shit out of my OEM drag link from the increased power of the XD, not even the XDll. I now run a fusion and have had no issues.

Yeah I really like this option , Iím sold.

I just recently did the XD steering box, pump and reservoir. I didnít want to go to full hydraulic because Iím sticking with 37s and didnít want to add a possible failure point with ram and hydraulic lines but I wanted the extra beef from the new box. So far it works great and it makes my Silverado steering feel stiff when compared to the jeep. Havenít had a chance to take it off road yet so I canít give a complete review yet.

Caught the Bug
    thats where Iím at, Would like the extra power but really dont want to mess with hydro.
    WAYALIFE mobile app
    Mind sharing your reservations about going hydro ? Im still trying to decide which way to go between the XHD II, Hydro assist, or the Red Neck Ram. I've done the axle swap to 60's but I'm staying with 37s for while and thought I'd get the XHD ported version just in case but may never go to 40's , so if I dont go any bigger then I've wasted the $.... heard from a few in my jeep club that those that had the RR, eventually switched to PSC.

Just playing devils advocate here but a failed cylinder or cylinder line is not gonna leave you stranded or anything. Youíd just revert back to regular power steering and be on your merry way.

Been Around the Block Desert Crawler's Avatar
    Iíve seen a failed cylinder line leave peeps stranded. Unless you are carrying caps and more fluid, you lose power steering.
    I have been running the XDII for a few months with the stock pump on 37x13.5. It has been a very worthy upgrade and has decreased my concerns about sector shaft failure. There are times when the stock pump struggles, but not often. Iím leaning towards putting in a PSC pump this spring. I think that will be a good set up for me, but if I ever feel I need more I am not opposed to adding a ram.

Hooked
    I don't know why anyone wouldn't carry the caps and a quart of fluid with them, in the event of a failure in a hydraulic line. Throwing the caps in your center console is just cheap insurance. Interesting to read so many doubts on going hydro assist. I've been reading threads all over the interweb for a couple of months now regarding hydro assist. I have run across very few people who didn't love it. I've been running 35's for the last 4 years, but plan on moving up to 37's within the next few months. I just ran across a guy selling a complete PSC hydro assist kit for an '07 4 door. I had read about some issues of installing a 4 door box into a 2 door, due to the gear box ratio difference. I made an offer for the pump, reservoir, and cooler for $450 and he accepted. Sometime in the next couple of months I'll be pulling off my gearbox and sending it to WTO to be rebuilt and setup for their Redneck Ram. Hoping to have all of this done before our trip to Moab in August!
    Last edited by jsukey; 03-23-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    Ď07 Jeep JK Sahara 6 speed - RK 2.5 X-Factor riding on beefed up Rubi 44ís F&R, with 5.38ís, RCV shafts out front, Auburn Ected w/ 35 spline chromolyís out back. 37Ē Nitto Trail Grapplers and 17Ē Spyderlock beadlocks. AEV bumpers F&R, Warn Zeon 10s, JCR rock rails, ARB twin compressor, assortment of other odds, ends, and goodies!

Ď10 Jeep SRT8 w/ 7.2 Arrington 440 stroker making 700hp, built trans, Wavetrac in the rear end

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast