Well this was a new inspection low for me, not Jeep related

TGPJKUR

We took my sons Jetta to a shop I have been using the last two years, upon picking it up I'm shocked at the total. I look and they have replaced both rear turn signal bulbs. Their reason was that the bulb color was white behind an amber lens. WTF?? If that logic works why are the bulbs not red behind the brake light lens. I asked why the work was performed without my consent and was told the mechanic was just told to do it. I didn't end up paying the labor charge in the end but I'm done with that shop. I post this because I'm curious if anyone else has run into this. Its irritating the shit out of me and I'm considering posting a negative review on the place, something I don't do often. Side note, the place changed names maybe 6 months ago. I inquired as to who all was still on staff and was told nothing really changed, funny the guy I always dealt with at the counter wasn't there today.

BobNH

A lot of places have a disclaimer on the estimate paperwork that says under $50 just gets fixed. Usually you can ask them not to though. But you have to ask ahead of time. Not sure if thats what happened there or not.
Did you check the bulbs? Weird fail.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TGPJKUR

My wife and son went over the car before hand, all lights were in working order. Their logic seems flawed. I will research what color bulb the car came with before I review them, I believe they are padding the bills of people who don't know any better.

TLife

Why were they taking apart the taillights to find out there was a clear bulb behind the amber lens? Seems like an odd thing to be doing unless that was somehow related to the work you actually asked them to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

White behind an amber lens is how they come from factory. I would've torn them a new one for that. In MI we have state law that requires upon request all parts be returned to customer or available to be inspected if they have to be sent back as a core, I'd put money they didn't even touch the bulbs.

TGPJKUR

OK so heres the deal, the lens area for the turn signal is clear/opaque. I have a feeling the amber coating was faded/flaking. So in my initial irritation I hadn't taken the time to go out in the cold and look at the tail lights. This is why I don't put rash negative reviews up right away, they are right but shouldn't have replaced w/o consent. Car was dropped after hours so even though I always tell them call me if it needs ANYTHING, it seems as though the new business model differs from that of the past. Doesn't help the regular guy who knows me by now would have called. I really need to find a shop I can trust and build a relationship with, I have 6 vehicles that need yearly inspections for chrissakes.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
OK so heres the deal, the lens area for the turn signal is clear/opaque. I have a feeling the amber coating was faded/flaking. So in my initial irritation I hadn't taken the time to go out in the cold and look at the tail lights. This is why I don't put rash negative reviews up right away, they are right but shouldn't have replaced w/o consent. Car was dropped after hours so even though I always tell them call me if it needs ANYTHING, it seems as though the new business model differs from that of the past. Doesn't help the regular guy who knows me by now would have called. I really need to find a shop I can trust and build a relationship with, I have 6 vehicles that need yearly inspections for chrissakes.

How much did they charge you for the bulbs and labor? If they were bad, it seems that you might be a little petty about the whole thing?

TGPJKUR

How much did they charge you for the bulbs and labor? If they were bad, it seems that you might be a little petty about the whole thing?

They charged me 20.00 for the labor, the cost really isn't the point though. How many people are they doing this to on a regular basis? I did pay for the new bulbs to not be completely petty with them. The point is that a lot of us here regularly wrench on our own vehicles either modding or maintaining them and as a competent mechanic in my own right I will not stand to be taken advantage by a shop that is out to make a quick buck on every inspection. This is the second shop that has changed management and started doing this shit that I've had to abandon. Used the last place at least 10 years. I know there are good places out there, I will find one again.

longarmwj

Personally it sounds like you're just being petty. You even said yourself that the turn signal was clear, so if the coat was flaking off that would render the turn signal improper functioning color. Threatening to write a bad review over something as trivial as a set of bulbs that I'm sure you didn't pay more then 10 bucks for is petty.

Seems more like preventive maintenance/the shop looking out for you and noticing something like that over them trying to take advantage of you

sipafz

Caught the Bug
They charged me 20.00 for the labor, the cost really isn't the point though.

They charged you $20 to replace parts that you admit were questionable and you’re upset? Your threshold for disappointment is set pretty low. I don’t think you have anything to complain about.

Personally it sounds like you're just being petty. You even said yourself that the turn signal was clear, so if the coat was flaking off that would render the turn signal improper functioning color. Threatening to write a bad review over something as trivial as a set of bulbs that I'm sure you didn't pay more then 10 bucks for is petty.

Seems more like preventive maintenance/the shop looking out for you and noticing something like that over them trying to take advantage of you

Some people choose to be miserable.

TGPJKUR

They charged you $20 to replace parts that you admit were questionable and you’re upset? Your threshold for disappointment is set pretty low. I don’t think you have anything to complain about.

Some people choose to be miserable.

This is all true, I own it. I work hard not to get wound up about shit and when I get stuck on something I can be a miserable jerk. I thought I had a better relationship with the shop and did before the new ownership and personnel change. I worry about my kids being taken advantage of by shops telling them they need things that don't need done. We have all read stories where that has happened. Thanks for the input and listening to me vent a little, it helps me to move on and I promise my next thread will be something fun and more light hearted. 8th slot therapy lol

Gbint

I’ve owned a very successful repair shop for years. It’s this type of action that will kill this guys business soon anyway. That’s the best revenge.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

This isn't being petty at all. Would you pay someone $20 to change a bulb when you can easily do it yourself?
I had that happen once but was only charged the price of the bulb. That is reasonable.
Like I said earlier, they may have had a disclaimer about repairs under $50, hopefully, but if not, no one had better just charge me for fixing something without at least a call.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom