VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Stepping into Bigger Shoes / KMC XD231 Beadlock Install

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to image there was once a time when 33" tires were considered to be BIG, especially when the all new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicons come with them standard and right from the factory. In fact, when it came time for Cindy and I to start thinking about building up JET Li, it was pretty easy for us to skip 35's and go straight to a set of 37x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros. As far as wheels go, we pretty much always run beadlocks and we were really happy to see that KMC had just come out with their all new XD231 Robby Gordon Race wheels. As luck would have it, they are made in a 17x8.5, come with a nice 4.75" of back spacing, are available in a 5x5 bolt pattern and even have mounting holes that will fit the larger 14mm studs that now come on the JL Wrangler. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see what it takes to install these beadlock wheels and tires. We hope you find this video to be helpful and informative and we thank you for watching.

To see a written version of this installation write-up complete with detailed photos, please click on the link below:
KMC XD231 RG Beadlock Wheel & Cooper STT Pro Installation Write-Up

:cool:

jeeeep

Hooked
perfect timing! just the motivation I needed to get working on my STT's, Machete combo.

I've been somewhat dreading tackling beadlocks again but boxed up wheels and those STT's take up a lot of space! lo

Thanks for posting this, I almost forgot the TPSM Sensors!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
perfect timing! just the motivation I needed to get working on my STT's, Machete combo.

I've been somewhat dreading tackling beadlocks again but boxed up wheels and those STT's take up a lot of space! lol

LOL!! Get on it :thumb:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looks really good! Hard to believe that 2 1/2” is all you need to clear 37’s at full flex. You make mounting tires look pretty easy! Good job!

MTG

Caught the Bug
In fact, when it came time for Cindy and I to start thinking about building up JET Li,

This cracked me up. As if SO much time has passed since you've had JET Li or even since you've ordered it. :crazy eyes:

I do like those wheels. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks really good! Hard to believe that 2 1/2” is all you need to clear 37’s at full flex. You make mounting tires look pretty easy! Good job!

Actually, we did a flex test and found some points in the rear that had some rubbing of the fender liner. We've since addressed them and we'll be posting up a video of all this soon :)

RockingK

Great video, I feel like I’m getting to be part of this. Just mounted up the 38’s, my first bead lock and you made it look easy😳. The first was the hardest but I wish I had seen this video first:thumb:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Jeep really got a lot of things right on the JL. Heck, if you just drove on pavement, you could probably get by without a lift, and it looks like 35’s would fit very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LeighP

Looks terrific....great looking wheels.
Personally, I'd be tempted to use anti-sieze on the ring bolts.......is there some issue with doing that? I've not used bead locks before.

Faazzie

Question on beadllocks

Morning,
Great detailed video on assembling your beadlocks, wish I had a shop like yours.
so my question is what is the main advantage for using beadlock rims? is it because they hold up better when you air the tires down?

On my 2012 Ruby I have a 2.5" AEV lift and run 35" Terra Grappler G2 with 18" XD rims. Living on the east coast i dont have "rocks" to climb over and very seldom air down my tires.
I have noticed that I have allot of space from my lift and could possibly fit a 37" tire and may swap out my rims too. Just not sure if i would benefit from using beadlocks.

Keep those Vids coming, enjoy watching them. Maybe I'll venture out west and see what REAL Jeeping is like.
IMG_4728.jpg

Cheers....
Mike

Damtall55

Eddie, you are having way too much fun with JetLi!! LOL Is it safe to say that this is slowly becoming your favorite? Just curious!!

Big Mike

Top Bottom