Thread: Front and Rear Seals and Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Caught the Bug

Front and Rear Seals and Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

I have an oil leak dripping off the front transmission housing and rear of oil pan.

I also have basically a wet bottom front of the engine, dripping/slinging onto everything.

This screams front and rear seals, correct?

Any idea what I can expect to pay to have both replaced? How big of a hurry should I be in to have this done?

‘90 YJ 4.2

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't know the entire cost, as I work on my own stuff. Yes, both of the seals are worn. For the front you're looking at the seal AND the balancer needing to be replaced. Save yourself the head ache. As far as the rear main is concerned, not only is the seal bad but judging by the age (you didn't put a rough milage in your post) the crankshaft will most likely be worn as well. You might get lucky by replacing the rear main seal but it might get worse. Could go either way. Hold off on the oil pan gasket until after you do the seals. It may not be part of the issue.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Don’t forget to consider the intake manifold gasket. That can also present as a rear main seal leak. I replaced my rear main seal when I had dripping from the transmission by the inspection plate. Was certain was the rear main. Replaced it and still leaked. Upon further inspection, found it leaking from the top. Changed the intake gasket and solved the problem.

If you have oil leaking from your intake gasket, you've got other problems. Valve guide seals, stuck open pcv valve, etc.

Start with the basics. If you've still got leaks, then start looking elsewhere.

So far so good. Maybe I just got lucky. No other issues.