2017 Upgrade Thoughts - need a bit of feedback

Torrin

I have a white, bone stock 2017 JKU Sport, Auto/3.21's. I am working out of town and keep my Jeep there. I cannot stand driving it stock anymore. Here is my plan:

I will not be wheeling it for a least a year or two.
I want plenty of power
I want 37's
I want a good ride, as some of the driving is freeway (at least not worse than stock).
I am leaning toward EVO gear (Yeah, I am the guy that bought Vengeance, so I like Mel's work)

Phase 1:
Dynatrac Trail Leader Dana 44 Front with upgraded 35 spline axles for the rear with 5.13 gears (should I get 5.38?) (with Airlockers and compressor)
EVO Enforcer 3" Lift
EVO Boatside Sldiers
Nitto 37" Grapplers
Some Nice Black Wheels

Phase 2:
Make it full trail ready - bumpers/winch/ skids

I will wheel this thing and hope to bring it to Moab. I love wheeling in Vengeance, but it has no room to carry anything.

Main questions:
Is the Enforcer lift going to do what I want? (good ride, but fully trail ready and clears 37's)

Will the 3" allow me to run 37's without rubbing?

I am pretty sure the Trail Leader kit will get me fairly bullet proof on the axles, but it is like $6500 without install!

Should I go 5.38 instead of 5.13? (I doubt I will ever go bigger than 37's)

I am thinking about this right?

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
If you are not wheeling it for a year or two and plan on highway driving mostly, 5.38 seems a bit much. 4.88 or 5.13 should be good. Depends on how you use it I suppose.... Some guys here run 37’s with the 3” enforcer... comes down to trimming, fenders and bump stops I believe. What set up does Vengeance have? You Should be able to base your Gear, tire size, tire clearance & driving habits off that...

Torrin

Vengeance has 5.38's, but it is a 3.8v6, not the 3.6. So, I really don't want to trim, is there another EVO setup that will solve that without costing $3.5k?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm basically running the same set up you're asking about. I'm on 3" enforcer, 4.88 gears, cut fenders, some trimming to the body sheet metal at the back wheel well corners. Run's perfect on 37's. I drove it from Miami to Moab, off-roaded the crap out of it and drove home. It's my daily driver.

I would do the axles, 5.13 gears, and add a PSC power steering and armor before you go to Moab.

You can run a rock hard skid plate, evo 1/4 pounder front bumper, no rear bumper, and EVO skids and have a pretty rock-resistant rig.

Here I dug up a couple pics from last fall:

View attachment 296812

View attachment 296813

Last edited:

Torrin

I'm basically running the same set up you're asking about. I'm on 3" enforcer, 4.88 gears, cut fenders, some trimming to the body sheet metal at the back wheel well corners. Run's perfect on 37's. I drove it from Miami to Moab, off-roaded the crap out of it and drove home. It's my daily driver.

I would do the axles, 5.13 gears, and add a PSC power steering and armor before you go to Moab.

You can run a rock hard skid plate, evo 1/4 pounder front bumper, no rear bumper, and EVO skids and have a pretty rock-resistant rig.

Here I dug up a couple pics from last fall:

Damn nice looking rig, ya, likely I will do something like that, only leaning towards a 4" to not have to trim, maybe with a drag link flip.

TrailHunter

Hooked
For what it’s worth, I just happen to be building my Rig just like Zimms.... 3” now w/ 35’s & 4.10’s..... then later, new axle and 37’s with 4.88’s. I have to drive a bit to wheel, and I prefer the Low COG of the 3”. (I can always add a small spacer if needed)

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would recommend against going with 5.38s in 44 axles if you are going to take it wheeling. The pinion gear is tiny and will be a weak point. With 37s I would go with 5.13s.

Just like Zimms and Trailhunter. I’m pretty stock other than the 3” enforcer lift with 37” tires.

Would I like an axel upgrade and or a regear? Absolutely. Not going to do it though. Same with a V8. If anything I need to address steering. It’s my wife’s daily driver and no complaints with 4.10’s. Drove it all over the western United States and was fine.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Damn nice looking rig, ya, likely I will do something like that, only leaning towards a 4" to not have to trim, maybe with a drag link flip.

Yeah I forgot, I also have a drag link flip. Although I tossed the EVO bracket for a weld on synergy so I could mount my PSC steering ram. I have a weld on Artec rear track bar bracket and adjustable track bars front and rear- although I don't think you need the front with the drag flip. Axle should be centered with the stocker.

EVO spec King shocks (2.5 adjustable)

I'm also running 1/2" spacers on the passenger side, which levels the jeep out (no more JK lean).

Since those pics, I sold the Poison Spyder bumper, cut the crash bar, rotated the rubi sway bar motor, and run an EVO quarter pounder.

Torrin

Just like Zimms and Trailhunter. I’m pretty stock other than the 3” enforcer lift with 37” tires.

Would I like an axel upgrade and or a regear? Absolutely. Not going to do it though. Same with a V8. If anything I need to address steering. It’s my wife’s daily driver and no complaints with 4.10’s. Drove it all over the western United States and was fine.

Ya, with D30 up front and 3.21's, I have to regear, and if I am going to regear, I would be foolish not to upgrade the axles/fron housing at the same time. The trial leader ships with the gears installed in the front and has the gears for the rear included with the axles.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Ya, with D30 up front and 3.21's, I have to regear, and if I am going to regear, I would be foolish not to upgrade the axles/fron housing at the same time. The trial leader ships with the gears installed in the front and has the gears for the rear included with the axles.

Something to think about. If you are going to be buying new axles, wheels, and tires..... it's pretty much now-or-never to get 8 lugs and big brakes.... I wish I did, but having a Rubicon, I beefed up what I got and run 5 lugs. Already bent one rear axle flange and upgraded to revolution shafts.

17xJKU

Pretty similar to my plans and build. I started a build thread "I have an addiction". Mine is a 2017 and just got it back yesterday from the shop. Had 4.88 gears, arb locker, and 35 spline shafts. I put on my 37s no lift, flat fenders... until next week. To be honest 4.56 may have been okay, but as weight gets added, 4.88s are good. 5.13 and higher numerically will be bad on highway. I went with metalcloak gc 3.5 tho and flat fenders. Check out my thread and see how mine turns out if it would help you. I also have pr44 with 35 spline rcvs, dynatrac ball joints, and arb locker in its way.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Fuck that's a long drive, I hope to do it one day as well, how many hours a day did you spend driving over there?

Tried to stay with 10 hours of google drive time, which after accidents, food and bathroom stops, ends up 12 plus.

4 days there, 5 back. Flew my brother into Dallas and he helped drive from there. Hit up gas monkey bar and grill, pretty cool place. The mechanics were there having dinner so my bro got to shake hands and say hi. I didn’t know their names so I just snapped a pic.

Top Bottom