Advice on coils and shox

zombie hunter

Hey guys, need some advice on shox and coils.

I'm currently running a 3" bds lift with fox 2.0 monotube shox.
I have alot of body roll due to wear and tear as I had the lift for 3 years and my coils seem to have sagged abit.

Im looking for a 3.5" coils and and a set of shox.
I was thinking of getting the aev coils and the falcon 3.3 piggyback shox but I have read some bad threads on here about TF so please feel free to speak your mind.

2ndly If I get 3.5" coils can I run 4"-6" shocks or will the shafts fk out cause they 2 long??? My budi has a set for sale so just need to know??

I'm from South Africa so it's a RHD Jeep and we don't have all the cool shit like you guys have made in America 😭

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I hear of all the TF stuff, the falcons aren’t that bad. It’s all outsourced anyways and many of the shocks out there all all made by the same manufacturer and just tuned specifically for a vendor and labeled. You should be fine if your choice is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Pretty sure Rancho builds their shocks here in the USA. Maybe see if you could get ahold of a set of those.

J

JKDream

Hey guys, need some advice on shox and coils.

I'm currently running a 3" bds lift with fox 2.0 monotube shox.
I have alot of body roll due to wear and tear as I had the lift for 3 years and my coils seem to have sagged abit.

Im looking for a 3.5" coils and and a set of shox.
I was thinking of getting the aev coils and the falcon 3.3 piggyback shox but I have read some bad threads on here about TF so please feel free to speak your mind.

2ndly If I get 3.5" coils can I run 4"-6" shocks or will the shafts fk out cause they 2 long??? My budi has a set for sale so just need to know??

I'm from South Africa so it's a RHD Jeep and we don't have all the cool shit like you guys have made in America 😭

I had those coils previously (BDS). They were horrible. I've also had some experiences with AEV and they tend to sag as well. I switched to 3.5 Rock Krawlers, much improved in my opinion. I also have the 4-6 Fox shocks on these and they don't unseat the coils. My BDS ones dropped out by about two inches. Didn't gain any lift though which was nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zombie hunter

I hear of all the TF stuff, the falcons aren’t that bad. It’s all outsourced anyways and many of the shocks out there all all made by the same manufacturer and just tuned specifically for a vendor and labeled. You should be fine if your choice is limited.

Ya the choices are, teraflex, falcon, fox, Rubicon express and metal cloak. That's about it. Fox resivoir shox are extremely expensive here.

zombie hunter

I had those coils previously (BDS). They were horrible. I've also had some experiences with AEV and they tend to sag as well. I switched to 3.5 Rock Krawlers, much improved in my opinion. I also have the 4-6 Fox shocks on these and they don't unseat the coils. My BDS ones dropped out by about two inches. Didn't gain any lift though which was nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Ya I'm not happy with the bds, I feel like I'm driving a wheelbarrow when I take corners, so much body roll. Everyone rants and raves about AEV in SA stating it's the best lift but I personally think it's over priced. I was looking at the rock crawlers on offroad elements page, looks pretty sweet. So you saying 3.5" coil will work with a 4-6" shock without anything getting damaged or coil slipping out??

J

JKDream

So you saying 3.5" coil will work with a 4-6" shock without anything getting damaged or coil slipping out??

It's cutting it really close, but mine do not. I was worried at first because half of the reason I swapped coils was due to them dropping out, but I didn't want to lose travel.
Right now with this setup, at full bump I have a half inch of shock travel remaining, and full droop the coils are still slightly bound so they won't rotate in the cup.
Going this route, you'll probably get about the most usable travel in a spring/shock setup. A lot of lifts have shocks that are too short.

** I can only speak for Rock Krawler 3.5 coils, I don't have experience with many others and these particular shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coop

Caught the Bug
Ya I'm not happy with the bds, I feel like I'm driving a wheelbarrow when I take corners, so much body roll. Everyone rants and raves about AEV in SA stating it's the best lift but I personally think it's over priced. I was looking at the rock crawlers on offroad elements page, looks pretty sweet. So you saying 3.5" coil will work with a 4-6" shock without anything getting damaged or coil slipping out??

Well, I would be the last guy to debate personal experiences, so I’ll offer you mine. I’ve had a BDS 3 inch lift for three years, no sagging and it has maintained better than 3 inches in ride height at about 3.5 inches. Good ride and very compliant on the rocks. The kit didn’t include rear sway bar links and I noticed the sway bar was pointed down with the stock links, even with the spacer they supplied. I took the spacer off and put Synergy adjustables on, resulting in less body roll with the bar set level. I also changed the track bar to an adjustable and with a raised bracket, the bar is almost horizontal which has helped a bit with body roll. The shocks weren’t the best with the kit so when I mashed one of them, I have changed those. The coils are still shiny black after three Ohio winters. I probably carry 200-250lbs. of gear on the trail as well as a 37 inch spare and have never had a spring issue on the rocks.
I’m not sure I’ll ever change them out unless I go to a 4 inch lift.
Just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I was pretty much the same as you. Switched to 4” plush rides and front king 2.5s get here tomorrow. The plush rides and fox seem to ride nice. I rode in a Jeep that had the falcons and they seemed really nice.

zombie hunter

It's cutting it really close, but mine do not. I was worried at first because half of the reason I swapped coils was due to them dropping out, but I didn't want to lose travel.
Right now with this setup, at full bump I have a half inch of shock travel remaining, and full droop the coils are still slightly bound so they won't rotate in the cup.
Going this route, you'll probably get about the most usable travel in a spring/shock setup. A lot of lifts have shocks that are too short.

** I can only speak for Rock Krawler 3.5 coils, I don't have experience with many others and these particular shocks.
Thanks for the info. We don't have rock crawler in SA so probably leaning towards aev 3.5" coils as I read that teraflex coils are a very harsh ride.

If I were to put a 4" coil with those shocks you rate I will have to change the drivelines or my theory is the coils will drop to 3.5" with the weight of my Jeep haha

zombie hunter

Well, I would be the last guy to debate personal experiences, so I’ll offer you mine. I’ve had a BDS 3 inch lift for three years, no sagging and it has maintained better than 3 inches in ride height at about 3.5 inches. Good ride and very compliant on the rocks. The kit didn’t include rear sway bar links and I noticed the sway bar was pointed down with the stock links, even with the spacer they supplied. I took the spacer off and put Synergy adjustables on, resulting in less body roll with the bar set level. I also changed the track bar to an adjustable and with a raised bracket, the bar is almost horizontal which has helped a bit with body roll. The shocks weren’t the best with the kit so when I mashed one of them, I have changed those. The coils are still shiny black after three Ohio winters. I probably carry 200-250lbs. of gear on the trail as well as a 37 inch spare and have never had a spring issue on the rocks.
I’m not sure I’ll ever change them out unless I go to a 4 inch lift.
Just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
In the beginning the kit was amazing but over time it has gone to shit. I've had the set up for just over 3 years. Maybe they got fkd because I always disconnect when Im Wheeling. I can defiently see that it has sagged and the body roll is so bad even on the slightest bump, sometimes the traction control even comes on. I put my stock sway bars in the back and put the jks quik discos in the front. Got HD front adjustable JKS track bar , teraflex HD tie rod and flip drag link nd still it feels like a roller coaster. Wasn't like that before though.
Running 35s but upgrading to 37s so just trying to find out what kit will work, I only need coils and shocks as I have all the other goodies

Coop

Caught the Bug
In the beginning the kit was amazing but over time it has gone to shit. I've had the set up for just over 3 years. Maybe they got fkd because I always disconnect when Im Wheeling. I can defiently see that it has sagged and the body roll is so bad even on the slightest bump, sometimes the traction control even comes on. I put my stock sway bars in the back and put the jks quik discos in the front. Got HD front adjustable JKS track bar , teraflex HD tie rod and flip drag link nd still it feels like a roller coaster. Wasn't like that before though.
Running 35s but upgrading to 37s so just trying to find out what kit will work, I only need coils and shocks as I have all the other goodies

Sounds like you’ve made the right diagnosis. Lots of good spring options presented here on Wayalife. I switched to King 2.5 reservoir adjustable shocks and really like them. These are good for 3-5 inch lift. A little pricey but definitely a long term, rebuildable, heavy duty shock.

zombie hunter

Sounds like you’ve made the right diagnosis. Lots of good spring options presented here on Wayalife. I switched to King 2.5 reservoir adjustable shocks and really like them. These are good for 3-5 inch lift. A little pricey but definitely a long term, rebuildable, heavy duty shock.

No one stocks King in SA so I would have to ship it from the states. The mods are way cheaper in states but the shipping is the killer and then the extra charges we get at post office. Another problem is if I have an issue with a product that I bought from states I have no after service. I'm leaning towards the falcon shocks , just not to sure about which coils to get

Coop

Caught the Bug
No one stocks King in SA so I would have to ship it from the states. The mods are way cheaper in states but the shipping is the killer and then the extra charges we get at post office. Another problem is if I have an issue with a product that I bought from states I have no after service. I'm leaning towards the falcon shocks , just not to sure about which coils to get

Yea, the issues you have to deal with are tough. The 4 Kings are about 55 lbs (25 kg) plus packaging. Nice thing about King is you can call them with the statistics on your Jeep and build and they will valve the shocks per your needs. Plus, you can rebuild them with directions from the web and kits from them. Not pushing these, just so you know. Don’t know what Manufacturer’s you have access to for springs. Lots of choices if they will reasonably ship to you. One thing on the spring perch, you can get metal discs that bolt to the axle that will keep the spring on the axle in droop. Another is limit straps.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Pretty sure Rancho builds their shocks here in the USA. Maybe see if you could get ahold of a set of those.

^^ This, my Ranchos are fairly new, but I can notice a marked difference from my previous ES9000s from ProComp. One of the many good advices I've follow on this page...

zombie hunter

Yea, the issues you have to deal with are tough. The 4 Kings are about 55 lbs (25 kg) plus packaging. Nice thing about King is you can call them with the statistics on your Jeep and build and they will valve the shocks per your needs. Plus, you can rebuild them with directions from the web and kits from them. Not pushing these, just so you know. Don’t know what Manufacturer’s you have access to for springs. Lots of choices if they will reasonably ship to you. One thing on the spring perch, you can get metal discs that bolt to the axle that will keep the spring on the axle in droop. Another is limit straps.

Will check them out thanks. What's a good aftermarket shop in the states to buy mods from? I normaly browse through Northridge and offroad elements. With regards to coils... bds, aev, Las, teraflex and that's about it that I know of hence the reason I'm pushing towards Aev with the falcon shocks or ship something else from states if I get a good deal

Coop

Caught the Bug
Will check them out thanks. What's a good aftermarket shop in the states to buy mods from? I normaly browse through Northridge and offroad elements. With regards to coils... bds, aev, Las, teraflex and that's about it that I know of hence the reason I'm pushing towards Aev with the falcon shocks or ship something else from states if I get a good deal

I would contact Exodus Jeeps. He regularly participates on the Forum and has good advice, experience and is an approved vendor. Northridge pricing and customer service isn’t always the best.

Top Bottom