Smelling gear oil when engaging ARB lockers

I’ve got about 1500 miles on the new axles and gears now. With a proper break in and gear oil change. I smell the hint of gear oil when I engage the front or rear ARB lockers. Doesn’t smell burnt but you can smell it. Is this normal or something I should be concerned with?

WJCO

Meme King
Put your ear near the breather tube and make sure you don't hear any air leaking when it's engaged. Mine was creating the gear oil smell but had an obvious air leaking sound when engaged. Mine had an internal leak from within the locker (not the housing seal by the carrier bearing). ARB took care of everything.

Put your ear near the breather tube and make sure you don't hear any air leaking when it's engaged. Mine was creating the gear oil smell but had an obvious air leaking sound when engaged. Mine had an internal leak from within the locker (not the housing seal by the carrier bearing). ARB took care of everything.

[emoji106]awesome. I will check it out. Thank you.

Chris1015

I may have had this problem on my last trip. If you over filled the fluid pressure can build up in the lines and force it out through a solenoid. Mine leaked down my fender from the solenoid.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Quick Question, is your compressor inside the cab? mine is in the cab and when my rear axle was was going the heat buildup killed the O-Ring so some of the diff fluid would seep up and you could smell it.

Quick Question, is your compressor inside the cab? mine is in the cab and when my rear axle was was going the heat buildup killed the O-Ring so some of the diff fluid would seep up and you could smell it.
Mine is under the hood and just recently installed a few weeks ago. So I hope it’s not going out lol. I’m going to check the fluid and check to see if I can hear any air leaking.

I may have had this problem on my last trip. If you over filled the fluid pressure can build up in the lines and force it out through a solenoid. Mine leaked down my fender from the solenoid.

^^^^ This also check around the airline inlet into the housing, also what type of diff cover are you using ARB, Dynatrac, RockHard etc.

^^^^ This also check around the airline inlet into the housing, also what type of diff cover are you using ARB, Dynatrac, RockHard etc.

Awesome will do. Running the factory rear diff cover which makes getting the level correct a bit more difficult. The front is a TERA44 housing with their cover

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I can't stand the smell and usually if I'm smelling it means something is wrong.

You'd think but my compressor never cycles unless I operate the switches or when airing up. It should be cycling if I'm leaking air/intaking diff oil but it isn't :thinking:

Top Bottom