Decided to try Cooper STT on KMC Machete

jeeeep

Hooked
It was time for new tires and after 3 months of back and forth between another set of BFG KO2 or Cooper STT, I decided to give the Coopers a go.

37x13.5x17 on KMC Machete...these suckers are heavy!!!

Was fighting getting the Cooper thick bead in place, it kept popping off the opposite side when I'd get to the last 4" of working it onto the KMC -thanks Eddie for the tip :thumb:

I ended up using ratchet straps to hold the bead in place and it worked out great.

pics?? yeah, I thought about taking some during the process but the process was taking so long ...

Damn Cooper beads are a lot thicker than the BFG, I thought I'd never get them done in time.

On and balanced :thumb:

Before with ATX Chamber Pro II and BFG KO2

ATX_Before.jpg

After with KMC Machete and Coopers:

KMC_After.jpg

The Coopers are not as noisy as I had thought, they're also pretty smooth, so far ....

Ddays

Hooked
Lookin good! Thats a really nice combo. Good to see you kept with the unfinished aluminum. Did you coat with Sharkhide or anything first? I've had good luck this winter with that and I spray detailing wax on them and my King shocks every time I wash it. Its kept them both looking good and no salt attacks.

edit: you aint kiddin bout them beads. I PM'd Eddie about 10 times tryin to get those damn things seated. I used a lot of Murphys oil soap spray solution and it helped some. Still, watching the video of Mel mounting those Nittos I figured, heck no problem. Then after multiple attempts with the first Cooper I was like WTF?

Last edited:

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I just finished up my first 2k miles on my Cooper's and I couldn't be happier, I think you're gonna like them. I put about 600 miles on em yesterday driving from Chicago to Roaring Springs PA and I was really impressed with how they handled at extended highway speeds. Now I just need a set of wheels like yours, those are beautiful!!

WJCO

Meme King
Looks awesome! I think you'll be happy with those things. You need to come out here again to test them out.

jeeeep

Hooked

jeeeep

Hooked
Lookin good! Thats a really nice combo. Good to see you kept with the unfinished aluminum. Did you coat with Sharkhide or anything first? I've had good luck this winter with that and I spray detailing wax on them and my King shocks every time I wash it. Its kept them both looking good and no salt attacks.

edit: you aint kiddin bout them beads. I PM'd Eddie about 10 times tryin to get those damn things seated. I used a lot of Murphys oil soap spray solution and it helped some. Still, watching the video of Mel mounting those Nittos I figured, heck no problem. Then after multiple attempts with the first Cooper I was like WTF?

I did Sharkhide them before putting them on, don't want these do like the ATX. I was beginning to think something was mis-sized. I spent about 4 hours! on the 1st one until Eddie gave me the tip to have someone hold the seated bead portion in place...rachet straps don't as and they don't drink your beer lol

I just finished up my first 2k miles on my Cooper's and I couldn't be happier, I think you're gonna like them. I put about 600 miles on em yesterday driving from Chicago to Roaring Springs PA and I was really impressed with how they handled at extended highway speeds. Now I just need a set of wheels like yours, those are beautiful!!

I had to make a 2 hour one way drive on them today and they were great. I was really concerned about MT drone but nothing, I was still sane when I arrived :thumb:

Looks awesome! I think you'll be happy with those things. You need to come out here again to test them out.

Yes I do!

I feel like you change wheels every time you change tires.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL, I was thinking the same thing...went from stock wheels to regular aftermarket for the 35's, ATX for 37's. I mostly wanted the rings so the water would drain off but they wanted $200!!/ring

Now I have time to clean up the ATX, replace bolts/inserts...may just powder coat them. Gotta have something for the future JL :thinking:

jeeeep

Hooked
Old wheels for sale? Looks great btw.
Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buddy of mine has already asked for them. I need to pull them apart and see how many bolts/inserts need to get replaced.

Nice! Can I bring mine over and have ya mount them on the coopers for me?? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app
umm..hell no! lol ...just remember, round and round and round and round

I torqued them up at night while watching TV, it's tedious

I can store those chamber pros for you.... on my jeep. [emoji41]

Sure! but you'll also have to store all the other junk I've got taking up room...how big is your garage? hahaha

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I did Sharkhide them before putting them on, don't want these do like the ATX. I was beginning to think something was mis-sized. I spent about 4 hours! on the 1st one until Eddie gave me the tip to have someone hold the seated bead portion in place...rachet straps don't as and they don't drink your beer lol

I had to make a 2 hour one way drive on them today and they were great. I was really concerned about MT drone but nothing, I was still sane when I arrived :thumb:

Yes I do!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing...went from stock wheels to regular aftermarket for the 35's, ATX for 37's. I mostly wanted the rings so the water would drain off but they wanted $200!!/ring

Now I have time to clean up the ATX, replace bolts/inserts...may just powder coat them. Gotta have something for the future JL :thinking:

Lol glad I wasn’t the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mauijim

Looks awesome!!! When I mounted my STT’s I had the same problem keeping the bead on as I was going around rim. So I used big washers to hold the bead down as I worked my way around. Just hand tight and worked great. IMG_2343.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom