Best way to clean this?

jamo922

I removed an old set of KC lights from the windshield mounts and there’s some serious residue on the paint. What’s the best method of removing it without damaging the paint?
Thanks IMG_4373.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
If a sponge and regular soap and water don't cut it maybe some good cleaner wax. Or a magic eraser.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Goo gone works pretty good without damaging paint or clear coats. It's a citrus based oily liquid. After using it just clean with soap and water, should clean it right up

jesse3638

Hooked
What kind residue is it? If its paint transfer from the old mounts it may need to be color sanded and polished. The chemical guys make some of the best polish and have step by step videos on you tube.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Buffing wheel and compound for clear coat. The force created by bolting the brackets probably distorted the clear coat and paint to some degree. It may never be completely normal.

Last edited:

jamo922

Thanks. Wd40 worked a little bit but I’m going to have to step up to a buffer. The upper screws on both sides of the windshield were pretty much stripped from rust once I removed them. You can also see discoloration on the cowl from rusty water or whatever dripping on it. I’m probably going to get a pair of cowl covers and maybe for the windshield lice too if I can’t get it clean.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Nothing has worked. I’m thinking of just betting touch up spray paint and using that to cover it

Not even lighter fluid?? :thinking: :jaw drop:

Are you sure its RAISED on top of the paint, and not marred INTO the paint? I have NEVER seen lighter fluid fail to remove ANYTHING off vehicle paint...

Last edited:
Top Bottom