Aluminum Inner fenders, more of a cosmetic mod or does it help with cooling?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Been looking at inner fenders and I was wondering if the aluminum inner fenders are more of a cosmetic thing or do they provide a real gain in cooling?

14JK-U

I have the ace inners which have 3 holes. I haven't noticed any real gain. I got them because I ripped the stock ones on a tree root
edit: I was wrong, much more than three holes, but regardless it didn't help heat dissipation
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

14JK-U

I have hood vents, I'm just curious more than anything, I guess it's just more of a cosmetic thing.

not just a cosmetic thing, it helps to protect whats behind it such as all the electronics. the stock ones are pretty pliable plastic, aftermarket steel or aluminum are a huge upgrade in protection. think of it like a diff cover. the stock one does the job but the aftermarket adds protection to the critical parts inside

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
not just a cosmetic thing, it helps to protect whats behind it such as all the electronics. the stock ones are pretty pliable plastic, aftermarket steel or aluminum are a huge upgrade in protection. think of it like a diff cover. the stock one does the job but the aftermarket adds protection to the critical parts inside

:hmm:

:thinking:

:shakinghead:

:twocents:

:dont_tell:

zimm

Caught the Bug

Hmmm.... I think no. You're not going to hang up your fender liner on a boulder. I run the stock ones, trimmed and a few strategic zip ties. Keeps the mud and water from flinging into the engine bay. In the desert, don't need 'em.

14JK-U

As with all things it's subjective. In my area I'm throwing up small rocks, mud, water, branches etc. Since I've already ripped one I know it helps protect where I'm at. You may not need/want them and that's your choice for your rig

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
As with all things it's subjective. In my area I'm throwing up small rocks, mud, water, branches etc. Since I've already ripped one I know it helps protect where I'm at. You may not need/want them and that's your choice for your rig

Have you ran without ANY liner and had a problem directly related to NOT running a fender liner?

I guess my point is just because you WANT them to protect your rig, doesn't mean they ARE protecting your rig... Just saying...

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

14JK-U

Have you ran without ANY liner and had a problem directly related to NOT running a fender liner?

I guess my point is just because you WANT them to protect your rig, doesn't mean they ARE protecting your rig... Just saying...

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

I have not run without any except when I ripped the stock one I mentioned, I limped off the trail to the staging area so I could remove the tree root we cut to dislodge my rig. I have knocked my steel ones against multiple roots when my tires slipped off a rock or slid off a muddy bank getting around tight corners. but if all your asking is do I know if the afore mentioned roots would have caused damage to something behind my liner? No I don't know that since I have the after market ones.

jsukey

I saw a guy at Hidden Falls destroy his engine the first day of the weekend, before he even made it out to the trails. There is a decent sized puddle towards the back of the park. He had removed his fender liners, and was running an open air filter. Bonehead move. The water was only around 2 feet at the time. The splash, lack of fender liners, and open air filter all contributed to him sucking up water and destroying his engine. If you do that kind of off-roading, you should probably expect mud/water to find its way into a spot where it could cause damage. They were installed for a reason...best to keep something there.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I saw a guy at Hidden Falls destroy his engine the first day of the weekend, before he even made it out to the trails. There is a decent sized puddle towards the back of the park. He had removed his fender liners, and was running an open air filter. Bonehead move. The water was only around 2 feet at the time. The splash, lack of fender liners, and open air filter all contributed to him sucking up water and destroying his engine. If you do that kind of off-roading, you should probably expect mud/water to find its way into a spot where it could cause damage. They were installed for a reason...best to keep something there.
I've been to hiddenfalls over a dozen times... yet I've never had that problem. Sounds to me like this guy would have seen the same failure regardless of a fender liner or not.

Look, if you want fender liners, it's cool. Don't worry, I'm not judging. But posting on the forum saying they are NEEDED and PROTECT the rig is silly if you don't have anything to back it up. OP is asking a question, and should be provided with facts. Not opinions...

I get it, you LIKE your fender liners. :thumb:

Do they offer protection? Doubtful

Do you NEED that protection they doubtfully provide? Most likely not.

Do THOUSANDS of jeeps run fine daily and offroad without ANY liners? Yes!

...So...

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
I think they look bad ass and clean up the front nicely, just get them if you have the cash!

Picture:

IMG_4942.jpg

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Any added gain in cooling is negligible. I run the EVO full liners and haven’t noticed any. I can see it providing some protection in some VERY rare cases but ran several trails without any liners with no issues. Do they look badass? ....Yes!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom