Red Eye to Moab

There are people in this world that not matter what, you do whatever it takes to meet up with and show support for. And, thanks to this forum I have met quite a few of those people.
One of which drove all the way out from Texas to Moab to celebrate his birthday for the week. And, although I couldn’t spend as much time with he and his family as I would have liked, I do live close enough that it was worth a Red Eye trip to celebrate it with him.

Early start to an Epic and long day IMG_0603.jpg

I left Salt Lake around 6:30 am with the plan being to arrive by 10:00, run a short trail and then head back home being that I had to be at work the next day.
Heading up the canyon just as the sun was coming up
IMG_0605.jpg

With the new axles and 5.13 gears and 37x13.50 STT pros on board, I wasn’t quite sure what kind of mileage I would be getting...needless to say I under estimated a little
IMG_0604.jpg
Getting closer.
IMG_0613.jpg
Finally, after a galling of coffee and 20 gallons of fuel, I arrived at the condo JJK and his family were staying at. Planned out the day and it was time to get moving.
IMG_0619.jpg

I have traveled this road so many times over the years and it still gets me fired up.
IMG_0622.jpg

The original plan was to make a quick run to cliffhanger but we had a last minute change and decided to run the entire Poison Spider, golden spike and gold bar rim loop...my trip just got A LOT longer.

At the trail head airing down. JJ’s in laws decided to drive their recently acquired third gen 4 runner out from New Mexico to join in on the fun.
IMG_0625.jpg

Being that JJK was trail gunner and I was in the back to make sure the 4Runner was up to the task and to provide support from the rear, most of my pictures were through the windshield and I didn’t get many of action shots being that I was the sole pilot.

JJK and our new friends Cory and his family heading up the water fall on Poison spider
IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg

JJK heading up through the wedgie. Testing out that new EVO DTD system
IMG_0673.jpg

After getting through the wedgie we started the long trek up on top of the Mesa. The views are just can’t be described
IMG_0680.jpg
Making a stop to pay our respects and, to ask for safe travels and smooth going
IMG_0681.jpg
Poser shot.
IMG_0683.jpg
JJ’s beast. Dynatrac PR60’s. 40x13.50 STT Pro’s and an Evo DTD SYSTEM. Nothing was going to slow him down.
IMG_0684.jpg
Up on top of skyline drive. Without a doubt one of my new favorite spots on the mesa
IMG_0712.JPG
A little further down at the next overlook
IMG_0732.jpg
I felt like I was being watched the whole day, busted!
IMG_0735.jpg
No place like it. This is the whole reason why I built my Jeep and take it out. While some like to push their limits and test themselves and their Jeep, for me it’s all about the journey and the freedom my Jeep gives me.
IMG_0736.jpg
This was a long time coming. Running cheap Teraflex shocks and factory bump stops with a 3.5 inch lift, it was only a matter of time before this happened. It didn’t help that I was distracted by the views and taking pictures and didn’t see a drop that caused my front end to bottom out. It was a perfect excuse to mount some fox adjustable reservoir shocks and new bump stops.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 269
Arriving at the golden crack JJ getting some work done with the DTD
IMG_0830.JPG
Our good friend Cory giving it a go in his 4Runner.
IMG_0831.JPG
My turn
IMG_0799.JPG
Moving our way along the views just get more and more incredible
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0769.jpg
Coming up to the waterfall. JJ went up first with the idea being he could pull Cory and his 4Runner up if needed.
IMG_0772.jpg
Yep. We thought so
IMG_0832.jpg
After that it was pretty much smooth going, reaching goony bird rock just as the last bit of light faded out.
IMG_0775.JPG

Overall and amazing day out on the trail. After about 8 hours. We went into town, grabbed a bite to eat and said our goodbyes. I arrived home just after 1:00 am and although it was a long day, it was worth every mile and every minute. I hope to go back to this trail soon and with more people so I can get some good action shots but for now, I hope this inspires some of you to get out and do something crazy.
A big thanks to JJK and his family for letting me join. It was a perfect way to spend a Sunday.

Brute

Hooked
Nice...just rolled into Moab after 4 days camping on the trail in the Swell...sorry I missed you Casey.

Top Bottom