air or battery impact?

desertrunner

so one of my craftsman batteries took a shit so i only have 1 to run my weak ass impact driver that wont even take off my lug nuts. Needless to say im shopping for a new impact driver and looking for some opinions.

I like to cordless option with the battery ones and i have heard plenty of good things about the M18s, but that impact and the 2 battery charger kit is going to cost me $450.

I already have a dewalt 20V battery for my weed wacker and jig saw and their battery impact kit at home depot is $300 for the impact 1 battery and charger, so could save 150 and have 2 batteries still even though the tool itself is a little bigger seems like a better option.

OR should i just go with a pneumatic? i have a 60gal compressor at home and a powerplant on my jeep. The shop compressor will have 0 issues and on paper the powerplant should be able to move enough air to run an impact but i have never tried it. SO with that said i know next to nothing about pneumatic tools and the huskey brand stuff at home depot is less than half the price of a battery impact so it seems like a no brainer for me to go to air.

So mostly asking what are good reliable air tool brands and does the powerplant actually have the power to run an impact all i want? and is there really any reason to have a battery set up when i have the air option?

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
My opinion is as long as your onboard can run it, I'd go with pneumatic. The extra power you will have especially at home really can't be matched by a battery powered one.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
If price is an issue go with air. If not, makita makes the best battery powered impact out there. It's almost $500 with 2 batteries, but it's a beast.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Being a dewalt fan I say stick with em .. as for which to go with I have both .. nothing fancy for air just a Campbell hausfield but I hardly use it so couldn't see spending a bunch on better quality ..... while battery is a dewalt ...

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Xhisors

The battery dewalt impact 20v 1/2-in is a monster. I havent found something it cant buzz off. But like others have said pneumatic is unparalleled power.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bustedback

I have been using the same Ingersoll electric impact and batteries daily for the last five years. I don’t touch my air tools much at all anymore.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Sullivan

I just picked up the Milwaukee gen2 impact. I have large air compressors and IR guns at the shop that are great and I am already using the battery one instead. So powerful. I removed lug nuts on a semi with it. So it’s a beast. And it was on sale for $370 with 2 batteries

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I just picked up the Milwaukee gen2 impact. I have large air compressors and IR guns at the shop that are great and I am already using the battery one instead. So powerful. I removed lug nuts on a semi with it. So it’s a beast. And it was on sale for $370 with 2 batteries

You got a killer deal! I paid $475 (IIRC) for the same kit, AND had to wait months for it to arrive. (Backorder) Still worth every penny IMO
:thumb:

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I just picked up the new 1/2" brushless Makita impact. I already had some Makita stuff so I was able to buy the bare tool. I love it, it's a beast, 1180 ft/lbs of breakaway torque and 740 ft/lbs of torque. Great balance in my hand as well.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Get the Dewalt. You already have the battery for it. I have the dewalt and it’s a nice powerful tool. As was said, the power plant probably won’t have enough volume for an air tool.

desertrunner

The battery dewalt impact 20v 1/2-in is a monster. I havent found something it cant buzz off. But like others have said pneumatic is unparalleled power.

That's good to hear, it is slightly bigger than the M18 but not enough to warrant spending an extra 130 on it
This one will break a wheel stud. Ask me how I know.

View attachment 297331

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/51292-Cordless-Power-Tools

Haha yeah that's the battery one I really want but I just can't quite justify 430 for it with only 1 battery when I already have a dewalt battery, unless I find it on sale then I totally would
Unless you have a good size volume of air (air tank) I would not go pneumatic. Both the M18 and the Dewalt 20v are excellent choices.

I doubt the power plant will run an air gun.

My shop compressor would have no issue and on paper the power plant will give 5 CFM at 90psi which is enough to run an air gun but I just don't know how long it could hold that 90psi for prolonged use. Last thing I want is to hook it up thinking I'm good and then I only have a few trigger bursts then wait.

Kinda hoping someone that has tried it will chime in at some point
Get the Dewalt. You already have the battery for it. I have the dewalt and it’s a nice powerful tool. As was said, the power plant probably won’t have enough volume for an air tool.
Pretty much where my head is at too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
That's good to hear, it is slightly bigger than the M18 but not enough to warrant spending an extra 130 on it

Haha yeah that's the battery one I really want but I just can't quite justify 430 for it with only 1 battery when I already have a dewalt battery, unless I find it on sale then I totally would

My shop compressor would have no issue and on paper the power plant will give 5 CFM at 90psi which is enough to run an air gun but I just don't know how long it could hold that 90psi for prolonged use. Last thing I want is to hook it up thinking I'm good and then I only have a few trigger bursts then wait.

On YouTube there’s a video of a guy running air tools off an ARB dual with a one gallon air tank. Looks marginal at best. I don’t know how the CFM of the dual compares to the Powerplant.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Yeah. I already had a tool, and 3 batteries, so I bought the bare tool. If I had Dewalt batteries, I’d buy a Dewalt. I was just posting that battery tools are plenty strong.

desertrunner

Doing some more research on the power plant I kinda gathered that yeah it can run "non continuous" air tools at 5CFM 90Psi. So if you take into account that if an impact is rated for 5cfm it's being run at the minimum while the compressor is maxed out and you have to stop every time you bust a bolt off to let it catch back up. Sounds like I might be better off sticking with the battery set up

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Yeah. I already had a tool, and 3 batteries, so I bought the bare tool. If I had Dewalt batteries, I’d buy a Dewalt. I was just posting that battery tools are plenty strong.

I think this is a great point. If I already had Milwaukee batteries I would have gotten a Milwaukee, same goes for DeWalt. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 1/2" impact manufacturers.

desertrunner

I think this is a great point. If I already had Milwaukee batteries I would have gotten a Milwaukee, same goes for DeWalt. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 1/2" impact manufacturers.
Agreed 100% I already have the dewalt battery mostly because I wanted a battery weed wacker and that ended up being the choice. And since then I added on their jig saw too so I might as well stick with them at this point. No sense in have 3 different brand tools and batteries

Top Bottom