Weird noise when I press on the brake pedal

daltexjeeper

Hello all. I have a loud whining noise which sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the brake booster/master cylinder. This noise occurs when I press firmly down on the brake pedal. Any ideas what it could be? I have attached a link to a youtube video which demonstrates this noise (not my video, but the exact same issue).

Thanks in advance for the help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPi1kO3iw80

and another one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_FosFEjAMY

daltexjeeper

Possibly, I have read about some problems with a leaky master cylinder which then permeates into the booster. Just curious if anyone had this problem and has had it corrected. If you notice the second video I posted, the 2 people who commented also had 2013's. I wonder if it is a somewhat common problem with a specific part.

WJCO

Meme King
I look at hundreds of broken cars a week and I can honestly say I have never seen/heard a symptom like this. GM currently has a ton of master cylinders leaking fluid into the brake booster, but I can't recall FCA having this issue. Regardless, it doesn't create this symptom.

You can remove the large vacuum hose at the booster and put a long zip tie down into the booster as a dipstick and see if there is brake fluid inside. If there is, then this means the rear seal on the master cylinder is leaking fluid into the booster. If it's the case, replace both parts.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Some kind of vacuum leak associated with the brake booster. Get someone else to replicate it while you check things out with a stethoscope with the hood up.

daltexjeeper

Thank you for all the replies. The booster zip-tie dipstick is a great idea...thank you for the suggestion. When I have time to diagnose more I'll let you all know if I find anything.

Betsy

My 2016 makes this noise usually first start of the day,and after it has sat all day at work,mine has 70k . I asked the dealer about it,but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

daltexjeeper

I have a work vehicle, so my Jeep only has 16,000 miles on it. I haven't noticed a loss in braking performance either. The saving grace is under normal braking conditions I don't get the noise. It is only when pressing firmly or "with a purpose" on the pedal. Definitely a nuisance noise.

Top Bottom