Renewed leaf springs?

Oreo_penguin536

A buddy of mine told me that instead of buying all new leaf springs I could take my old saggy ones to a suspension shop or something and have them “rearched” to factory spec... is this legit???

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
A buddy of mine told me that instead of buying all new leaf springs I could take my old saggy ones to a suspension shop or something and have them “rearched” to factory spec... is this legit???

It is legit. My first job out of college was working at a shop that did this. It was the hardest physical labor I ever did, but I also learned the most about suspensions at this shop. Check reviews and find a shop that can do it and has good reviews. With leaf springs, the possibilities are endless. You can Add/Remove leafs for comfort and re-arch accordingly for what you want. I worked with a guy that could measure the vehicle's ride height beforehand, then pull all 4 springs and rebuild them on the bench, then reinstall, and give the customer exactly what they wanted including exact extra lift if they wanted that. And he did it on every vehicle. He was amazing. Taught me a ton.

A.J.

It is legit. My first job out of college was working at a shop that did this. It was the hardest physical labor I ever did, but I also learned the most about suspensions at this shop. Check reviews and find a shop that can do it and has good reviews. With leaf springs, the possibilities are endless. You can Add/Remove leafs for comfort and re-arch accordingly for what you want. I worked with a guy that could measure the vehicle's ride height beforehand, then pull all 4 springs and rebuild them on the bench, then reinstall, and give the customer exactly what they wanted including exact extra lift if they wanted that. And he did it on every vehicle. He was amazing. Taught me a ton.

Fewer and fewer people doing this and most of them aren't on the internet, nor do they care about reviews. Lol! Best one I ever knew was a real hard ass SOB. Did great work and as you described was practically an artist in his craft, but on his time and only if he had nothing else to do or he really liked you. Shop was not much more than a barn in the middle of town with a half concrete half oily dirt floor. Fond memories! Guy was made of leather and steel.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Fewer and fewer people doing this and most of them aren't on the internet, nor do they care about reviews. Lol! Best one I ever knew was a real hard ass SOB. Did great work and as you described was practically an artist in his craft, but on his time and only if he had nothing else to do or he really liked you. Shop was not much more than a barn in the middle of town with a half concrete half oily dirt floor. Fond memories! Guy was made of leather and steel.

I'm not really surprised. This kind of art is extremely rare in the modern world.

jesse3638

Hooked
I've heard of this and can imagine is a dying craft. It's like the drive line shop local to me. The guy can make you anything and will explain things you'd never understand. To do a complete rebuild he charges $25 plus parts. After replacing all my u-joints on my old truck I'll gladly pay that..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

Their are so many leaf sprung vehicles though out there, how could be it fading out? Isn’t it much cheaper?

It can be. Most shops today just replace parts sadly. Fewer real craftsmen out there these days. There are a few companies that specialize in it and can build spring packs for any application, but re-arching is hot hard work and takes some skill. It's easier to just sell new springs and bolt them in.

Top Bottom