Snowcation: Death Valley Floor to Mammoth Mountains

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Took a little weekend getaway this weekend. Decided to go from Death Valley and work our way over Hunter Mountain at almost 8,000 feet and back down to valley floor and head north toward bishop and into Mammoth. Recent rains from the past week left some trails muddy and others covered in snow.

Starting out in Lone Pine on a cool morning.

IMG_5309.jpg

Working our way out of town the roads were pretty empty.

IMG_5456.jpg

Pulling off the Highway and onto dirt.

IMG_5312.jpg
IMG_5314.jpg

Working our way up the mountain.

IMG_5457.jpg

As we got a little closer to 8,000 feet we found quite a bit of mud from the recent rains.

IMG_5452.jpg
IMG_5451.jpg

After working our way through about 3 miles of that goop above we finally hit some solid ground again as we started down the other side.

IMG_5337.jpg

Little bit of mud

IMG_5332.jpg

First stop of the day was at Goldbelt Spring. Founded in the early 1900’s. Not much left out here now besides some ruins.

IMG_5316.jpg
IMG_5327.jpg

View from the truck looking back

IMG_5328.jpg

From there we headed toward Quackenbush Mine to see what else was left over there. Besides a couple shafts there was much left.

IMG_5338.jpg
IMG_5334.jpg
IMG_5339.jpg

Heading out from Quackenbush we hit some stretches of open desert roads finally and left be much behind. Next stop was at the Lost Burro Mine

IMG_5353.jpg

Some of the structures around the the mine camp

IMG_5347.jpg

Inside the main house

IMG_5340.jpg
IMG_5341.jpg
IMG_5343.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
View looking out of the cabin through the holes

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg
IMG_5349.jpg
IMG_5350.jpg
IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

Back on the road and heading north we came to a junction in the road

IMG_5359.jpg

Continuing on we made a stop at the Racetrack

IMG_5364.jpg

These rocks are moving quick

IMG_5387.jpg

Back on the road,

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5367.jpg

After reaching the bottom of Lippencott we cruised along the Valley floor for a long while until we started to climb back up again. Quick stop at Waucoba Mine

IMG_5372.jpg

Mine shaft was pretty deep

IMG_5370.jpg
IMG_5373.jpg

From there we headed back toward pavement through Whipperwill and Marble Canyons.

Before hitting the car wash in town.

IMG_5385.jpg

Next morning we headed north toward mammoth and made a quick stop at Convict Lake

IMG_5393.jpg

Little chilly

IMG_5394.jpg

Continuing on we hit dirt and started back into the mud again

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Made a stop at the hot springs

IMG_5397.jpg
IMG_5399.jpg

Spring creek pretty full from snow runoff.

IMG_5401.jpg

After leaving there we headed up in elevation again and hit a little snow this time

IMG_5436.jpg
IMG_5439.jpg

Continuing on

IMG_5434.jpg

Hitting the snow

IMG_5434.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

And to where nobody else has been, finally

IMG_5428.jpg

After working our way forward for a bit and making slow work at it the snow was getting deeper and deeper and we still had a ways to go. We got turned around and headed up back toward the highway.

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

Made a stop at Mammoth brewery for a drink

IMG_5409.jpg

From there we went to the end of the trail that we were trying to work toward earlier. Good thing we turned around

IMG_5423.jpg

On the way back to the hotel we made a quick stop at some other hot springs

IMG_5413.jpg
IMG_5425.jpg
IMG_5416.jpg

And that’s it. Fun trip overall with a little more than 150 miles of dirt, mud and snow and elevation changes of about 6,000 feet.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Looks like a great trip! I was just telling my wife tonight how we need to plan a trip to the Sierra's soon... Great Pics. :beer:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Looks like we both need new tires.

Seriously though, nice pictures and cool trip. Love the eastern sierras.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looks like a great way to spend a weekend. The scenery your way is so much different that what i am use to. Tnx for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

The West sure has it all.

Looks like a great trip! I was just telling my wife tonight how we need to plan a trip to the Sierra's soon... Great Pics. :beer:

It’s a muddy mess right now. That rainstorm from Thursday did a number on things. It was still raining when we were pulling into town on Thursday night.

Looks like we both need new tires.

Seriously though, nice pictures and cool trip. Love the eastern sierras.

I have a set of trail grapplers in the garage. Just don’t know if I want to install them or not.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Nice trip report! I question whether or not your Jeep was filthy when you started the trip. Lol

It was dusty, not muddy. It has seen a power washer twice in two days though. [emoji15]

I love that area! Thank you for sharing.
I'm pretty sure I see our tea kettle, that we left last trip hanging in your photo at the junction.

I looked for any names that I might recognize but didn’t see any that stuck out. I love that area.

Looks like a great trip! Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

Thanks, it was fun!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Way too cool - no pun intended!! In some ways, I think I would have preferred to do what you were doing. Thanks for posting this up :thumb:

Top Bottom