Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New ZJ in the family

Nothing but a Thing Strodinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-N9ne View Post
    Stock XJ front shaft can fit.

As to the bumper, JCR has a decent one. The problem with ZJs is putting winch bumpers make them look like Jay Leno’s chin. JCR has the lowest profile that still saves you some approach angle.
    Eh. I'll pass on jcr. Thinking about just building my own. You are right though the underbite is real with winch bumpers

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    If you want to see a broke college kid struggle through an LS swap, then here's your chance: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...546#post956546

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    The arb with the grille guard kind of helps that underbite look and mounts the winch under it.
    I was going to go with the blue lake Offroad before I sold my zj
    IMG_0371.jpg

It’s a bit more subtle chin.

Also the Hanson Offroad with stinger

IMG_0372.jpg

Theyre all pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    The arb with the grille guard kind of helps that underbite look and mounts the winch under it.
    I was going to go with the blue lake Offroad before I sold my zj
    IMG_0371.jpg

It’s a bit more subtle chin.

Also the Hanson Offroad with stinger

IMG_0372.jpg

Theyre all pricey though.

I found some plans online so really might end up building my own. It will have the underbite but at the end of the day I can deal with it. I'm taking the plans and just looking the ends to make a proper stubby. Screenshot_20180421-131127.jpgScreenshot_20180421-131120.jpg Flatland 4x4 sells their prints for the bumper and I'm just going to do everything except the ends.

If you want to see a broke college kid struggle through an LS swap, then here's your chance: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...546#post956546

Umm so weird thing. Doing my insurance for the Jeep and the VIN runs as a grand Cherokee limited orvis. Obviously this doesn't make sense since the orvis came in mossy green with tow hooks so I called contacted Chrysler and it looks like it was a special order orvis where the original customer scrapped the limited color and went with bright white with the better clear coat package. Original owner also zilched 5 front tow hooks that cane standard with the orvis. Kind of odd but cool to kow my Jeep is 1 in 10000 made and 1 in even less left on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Strodinator View Post
    Umm so weird thing. Doing my insurance for the Jeep and the VIN runs as a grand Cherokee limited orvis. Obviously this doesn't make sense since the orvis came in mossy green with tow hooks so I called contacted Chrysler and it looks like it was a special order orvis where the original customer scrapped the limited color and went with bright white with the better clear coat package. Original owner also zilched 5 front tow hooks that cane standard with the orvis. Kind of odd but cool to kow my Jeep is 1 in 10000 made and 1 in even less left on the road.

So basically he wanted an Orvis that didn't look or function as an Orivs
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    So basically he wanted an Orvis that didn't look or function as an Orivs
    Pretty much. Technically that ups the third party resale value as that makes this one completely unique but still dumb as hell

Really leaning to a Rubicon Express Budget boost just because I don't want to deal with driveshaft issues and this won't be a crawler. Any experience with this?

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    I ran a budget boost on my old zj to clear 31s. It’s fine. Just tall enough that you’ll be messing up the side bolster of the driver seat climbing in and out. Not tall enough to need steps.

2” and 31s on left 4.5” and 33s on right
    IMG_1201.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    I ran a budget boost on my old zj to clear 31s. It’s fine. Just tall enough that you’ll be messing up the side bolster of the driver seat climbing in and out. Not tall enough to need steps.

2” and 31s on left 4.5” and 33s on right
    IMG_1201.jpg

I have side steps so no biggie there 🤷. Damn that 4.5 looks good though. That's just a lot more work. Driveshafts, control arms, track hard, sway bar links.

I was at 5.5 on my old 5.2 ZJ and never had driveshaft vibrations with the stock rear shaft. If you have that Rzeppa joint style CV front shaft you’ll want to get rid of that shit and go to a true u-joint style pinion yoke, but other than that your stock driveshafts should be 100% fine. The wheelbase is long enough and the rear shaft is long enough that there’s very little advantage to running an SYE for driveline correction. If you do end up choosing to go SYE, auto TJ front shafts are nearly perfect bolt in rear driveshafts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    '98 5.9 LX Grand Cherokee: 6.0 Mopar, mild trans build, 242 case swap

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast