Anvil Jeep Build - Jetlau3

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Hi! Have a build thread on another forum but have really been enjoying reading on here . Thought I’d create a thread here to introduce myself and do a quick recap of my build since I bought my first jeep in July of 17.

Picked up ‘15 JKUR Anvil used with 4.1 gearing, AEV wheels, and 33s . Pretty much stock otherwise. Here it is on Day 1.

IMG_7194.JPG
IMG_7197.JPG

First big mod was a Teraflex 2.5” cool lift, Rancho 9000s, geo correction brackets.. should have done more research on here before pulling the trigger . Regret the cheapish lift but was recommended on another forum and by a vendor . Overall I like it much better than stock but wish I had invested slightly more . Lesson learned and am trying to put on quality components now but it adds up quick !

Also did DV8 front and rear bumpers, barricade sliders, TF rear tire carrier, CB, grill insert, LED headlights and fogs at the same time .

IMG_8266.JPG

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Next major upgrade was a Warn winch. Went for VR series knowing they are made overseas but still rather Warn than another brand .. for my recreational use hoping this lasts forever .

Added cheap off road LEDs and replaced all hardware with stainless .. wired into Apollointech switch . Running A pillars, 20 in light bar on bumper, warn interruptor kit so I can cut power from inside , and have an ARB high output compressor coming with Evo mount .

Also added Yeti XD track bar, replaced geo brackets with Core 4x4 tier 3 LCAs, had synergy LCA skids welded on, added PS diff covers with lube locker and changed oil and diff oil while down there .

Photo before light bar and license plate mount

IMG_8808.JPG
54258292024__B38A16C2-3D06-4BDF-8182-434E03E1CA64.jpeg

Way more little stuff has been done but this pretty much catches me up . Hoping to learn a lot more here

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Overall, my plan is to drive and wheel it until rubber wears out .. then step up to 35s and do what I need to support . At minimum, probably add some other control arms, trim Rubicon rails.

Have been pretty unhappy with the TF springs . After settling, the rear right was way low so added a 2” puck in back right corner and 3 0.5” pucks on other 3 corners . This has leveled the jeep out .

Question 1: what are my options for upgrading this lift? Can I swap in better coils .. thinking 3” and then get control arms and extended brake lines ? Or is more required ?

Question 2: I’m looking at skids . Seems to be strong support for Rock hard . Given the weight of the steel and the price of the aluminum, Ive been leaning towards Quadratec aluminum skids which are a cheaper option . Seem to have decent reviews .. thoughts ? Would start with engine /trans and maybe add fuel tank too . Haven’t pulled the trigger yet so stop me if this is a huge mistake .

Also use case for my jeep is weekend wheeling (Big Bear, north of LA area), camping trips (Zion, Death Valley), lugging mountain bikes, and also daily driver (almost 30 mi daily) .

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Overall, my plan is to drive and wheel it until rubber wears out .. then step up to 35s and do what I need to support . At minimum, probably add some other control arms, trim Rubicon rails.

Have been pretty unhappy with the TF springs . After settling, the rear right was way low so added a 2” puck in back right corner and 3 0.5” pucks on other 3 corners . This has leveled the jeep out .

Question 1: what are my options for upgrading this lift? Can I swap in better coils .. thinking 3” and then get control arms and extended brake lines ? Or is more required ?

Question 2: I’m looking at skids . Seems to be strong support for Rock hard . Given the weight of the steel and the price of the aluminum, Ive been leaning towards Quadratec aluminum skids which are a cheaper option . Seem to have decent reviews .. thoughts ? Would start with engine /trans and maybe add fuel tank too . Haven’t pulled the trigger yet so stop me if this is a huge mistake .

Also use case for my jeep is weekend wheeling (Big Bear, north of LA area), camping trips (Zion, Death Valley), lugging mountain bikes, and also daily driver (almost 30 mi daily) .

Love the anvil color! I know a lot of us wish we would have found this place sooner and waited longer before doing any mods but you just get too damn excited. My jeep came with a Rough Country 3.5 lift and it rode okay but not great, I wanted a smoother ride since mine is primarily a daily driver. I was recommended going to EVO's 3 inch plush coils matched with Rancho shocks, so I would check them out. Since you have geo brackets you can definitely use those as long as your caster around 4 or 4 1/2 degrees. If you want to switch to aftermarket control arms I've been recommended Core 4x4 but there are other companies out there. I haven't upgraded mine yet so I can't speak on them but several forum members love theirs. Evo also makes some great control arms. I haven't switched out my front driveshaft yet but you'll eventually want to do but not necessary until yours gives out. Look out for a double cardan driveshaft when you are ready to upgrade, look at adams driveshafts. Just stick to the USA made companies and I would use supporters of the forum if possible. If your brake lines aren't extended then I would do that and extend your breather tube on your rear axle, there is a write-up on this forum. For Skids, Evo or Rock Hard make greats ones and are supporters of this forum so I would check them out. I would get one for the oil/engine/transmission. The stock gas skid seems to work just fine. Good luck with the rest of your build and you'll probably get more opinions if you create a separate thread just asking questions instead of just in your build thread.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Love the anvil color! I know a lot of us wish we would have found this place sooner and waited longer before doing any mods but you just get too damn excited. My jeep came with a Rough Country 3.5 lift and it rode okay but not great, I wanted a smoother ride since mine is primarily a daily driver. I was recommended going to EVO's 3 inch plush coils matched with Rancho shocks, so I would check them out. Since you have geo brackets you can definitely use those as long as your caster around 4 or 4 1/2 degrees. If you want to switch to aftermarket control arms I've been recommended Core 4x4 but there are other companies out there. I haven't upgraded mine yet so I can't speak on them but several forum members love theirs. Evo also makes some great control arms. I haven't switched out my front driveshaft yet but you'll eventually want to do but not necessary until yours gives out. Look out for a double cardan driveshaft when you are ready to upgrade, look at adams driveshafts. Just stick to the USA made companies and I would use supporters of the forum if possible. If your brake lines aren't extended then I would do that and extend your breather tube on your rear axle, there is a write-up on this forum. For Skids, Evo or Rock Hard make greats ones and are supporters of this forum so I would check them out. I would get one for the oil/engine/transmission. The stock gas skid seems to work just fine. Good luck with the rest of your build and you'll probably get more opinions if you create a separate thread just asking questions instead of just in your build thread.

Thanks ! I have the Core4x4 lower control arms . Probably going to pause and figure out logical next steps before upgrading the lift and going up to 35s .. still have good rubber left on the 33s . May just pony up for the Rock hard aluminum engine trans skid and wait on the gas for now as you suggested .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Let’s see .. never remember to update this thread but here is some recent stuff

Bottle jack and replacement cross member

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

Pulled doors and did delrin door hinge liners in prep for some summer trips

IMG_1893.JPG

Took suggestions from Eddie and others and got some ammo cans and started carrying oils, fluids, and cleaners.

IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1912.JPG

Some wheeling camping

IMG_1967.JPG

Rescuing yotas [emoji854]🤣 at Gorman

IMG_1399.JPG

Hard to see but a matching WAYALIFE decal on the other quarter panel [emoji482]

IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG

Tuffy security deck . Quick 1 hour install and think it will be great . Just need to get some tie down rails for the top . Plenty of room between the box and the rear seats for my spare front axles

IMG_1952.JPG

Shit wiring job and cut my dust light wires when the bumper was compressed . Will drill and rewire... ... sometime

That’s been it . More trail time soon . Next upgrades in no particular time frame are
- Dynatrac ProGrips
- tie rod
- evo weld on sliders and skins (my cheap Chinese barricade ones on top of my rubicon rails have held up okay but itching to upgrade for looks and clearance and strength )
- steering stabilizer with stand off stud (bent last 2 because I had wrong mounting setup )

Til next time

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Top Bottom