CARRY a 37" SPARE TIRE on a JL WRANGLER TAILGATE with LoD RISER BRACKETS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As many of you know, Cindy and I just got done installing an EVO 2.5" Boost Lift on JET Li, our 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and he's now running a set of 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros. Of course, the problem that needed to be solved was, how are we going to carry a spare? Initially, we ordered a Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit with upgraded tire carrier but for one reason or another, we still don't have it. Fortunately, I got talking to our good friends over at LoD and they were kind enough to send us a prototype of their all new Destroyer riser/spacer brackets to test out. The following photos are what they look like, how they look installed and how we got everything to work.

Knowing that we needed these in a hurry, LoD shipped the only set of their riser/spacer brackets to us and right off the work bench. Pretty beefy!
20180320092235-dccaface.jpg

After having them powder coated locally, here's what they look like installed.
20180320093108-012ada5f-me.jpg

As you can see, they not only raise the spare tire carrier up, they also space everything out by about an inch.
20180320093113-516b9485-me.jpg

Initially, we just installed the factory tire carrier onto the LoD riser/spacer brackets without the 3rd brake light.
20180320093123-04b430a6-me.jpg

20180320093120-bfcf16c3-me.jpg

20180320093118-a10fbc13-me.jpg

20180320093136-8b236673-me.jpg

20180320093130-2668a9f7-me.jpg

To help prevent the jiggling of the spare tire which ultimately leads to damage of the tailgate, the rubber isolators have to be extended. To do this, used a couple of old JK isolators that I had laying around and some hockey pucks. Why JK isolators you might ask? Because they are about an inch longer than the factory JL ones.
20180320093151-0ac7a481-me.jpg

The link below takes you to a write-up of how you can make your own extensions.
DIY Jeep JK Tailgate Spare Tire Isolator Extension Write-Up

If needed, you can buy new spare tire isolators here:
http://amzn.to/2G7gWBY

And cheap hockey pucks can be found here:
http://amzn.to/2IDcoSb

I should note that in the write-up, I use a 3" machine screw but to make this work with 2 hockey pucks, you will need a 4" bolt.

A few more shots to show what it all looks like.
20180320093146-1f3e55d0-me.jpg

20180320093138-35f8d800-me.jpg

20180320093141-db662f16-me.jpg

And now, here's what the spare tire looks like installed!
20180320093156-2b088ed8-me.jpg

20180320093206-7f2c649f-me.jpg

As you can see, there's plenty of room between the 37" tire and the factory rear bumper.
20180320093211-2dcd5782-me.jpg

20180320093208-4125fd00-me.jpg

20180320093254-18d31169-me.jpg

And, the rubber isolators are pressing firmly against the sidewall of the spare.
20180320093213-70629b8a-me.jpg

20180320093215-238fad38-me.jpg

After giving things a closer look, I determined that I might be able to get the 3rd brake light to work too.
20180320093227-7af47a5a-me.jpg

All that would be needed was to raise the light brackets to the top holes.
20180320093230-99ae3277-me.jpg

Imagine that, it works!
20180320093251-78d214e1-me.jpg

20180320093248-0ece0514-me.jpg

20180320093106-0882ca3c-me.jpg

20180320093236-55f8fa29-me.jpg

So far, everything looks good and our tailgate seems to be holding up our 37x13.50R17 Cooper STT Pro mounted on an KMC XD231 beadlock wheel that weighs about 123 lbs. Jiggling has been mitigated so we're hopeful that the tailgate won't get damaged. Of course, we are heading out to Moab and will be putting it to the test and if it doesn't hold up, you can be sure that you'll hear about it here on JLWRANGLER. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
POST MOAB UPDATE - 4/1/2018
As some of you may know, Cindy and I just spent the better part of the last 2 weeks, driving our brand new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited out to Moab, wheeling it hard out there and then driving it home again. Along the way, we racked up almost 2,000 miles on the odometer and chalked up almost a dozen trails as well including, Metal Masher, Behind the Rocks, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike and Poison Spider Mesa. Now, I'm making a point to note all this because during this time, we were carrying a very heavy 37x13.50R17 Cooper STT Pro mounted on a KMC XD231 beadlock wheel and on our un-reinforced factory tailgate. To make it work, we did use an LoD spacer/riser bracket and we made sure to extend the rubber isolators to help mitigate jiggling and we were running a hitch mounted stinger to help prevent the spare catching on ledges but that's about all we did. Of course, the burning question that everyone wants to know is... how did the tailgate hold up?

JUST FINE!!

In spite of all the un-verified rhetoric being regurgitated on the internet, the factory tailgate is in fact quite strong or at least, strong enough to safely hold the weight of a 125 lb. spare. It is CRITICAL that you extend the rubber isolators to mitigate jiggling and take steps to protect your spare from catching on ledges but really, that's about all you need to do to make it work. I should note that I am by no means suggesting that this is a "better" solution than a swing out bumper tire carrier or even one that's as good. I'm am simply trying to show that it can be done and without problems if you do it right.

Here's a of shots of us out in Moab and going through the Golden Crack with our very heavy 37" spare tire mounted on the factory tailgate. As you can see, this is we are running a hitch mounted stinger to help protect the spare.
20180331175835-568513c4-me.jpg

Here are after shots that I just took this morning to show how our tailgate is 100% intact. NO buckling, no bending, no breaking or otherwise as everyone insisted would happen if we ran this setup.
20180401104112-0438d49c-me.jpg

20180401104109-4eaefbe8-me.jpg

20180401104106-55f8bea7-me.jpg

Seeing is believing. :cool:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
CARRY a 37" SPARE TIRE on a JL WRANGLER TAILGATE with LoD RISER BRACKETS

Nice. That was great of LoD to do. Looks like a great option if it’ll hold up to moab [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ob_tj

Looks awesome! I saw that hitch mounted spare protector and was wondering if you made it! I am wanting to run one on my JKUR! We hit the spare tire a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice. That was great of LoD to do. Looks like a great option if it’ll hold up to moab [emoji106]

Oh yeah, we were super grateful to LoD for helping us out in a pinch like that. :yup:

Looks good! Glad to hear it held up.

I should note that there was another JL out in Moab that was carrying a 37 and didn't address things the way we did. Coming off a big ledge, the spare caught and started pulling the entire tailgate out - I say, it pulled it open about a good 1/2" or more before my yelling was finally able to get the driver to stop. After he managed to back up, we took a look at the tailgate and amazingly, it was STILL okay. Big damage was averted but it could have quickly and easily been really really bad.

Very cool set up to get you by until they make something better. I like the hitch mount stinger. Im going to have to make one of those.

Yeah, until we can get something better installed, I think it'll continue to hold up fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks awesome! I saw that hitch mounted spare protector and was wondering if you made it! I am wanting to run one on my JKUR! We hit the spare tire a couple times.

Good info.
Curious about your spare tire skid. Did you make it or is that a product you can buy?

Trail Bud had a local shop make a couple and he gave one to us as a gift.

woof359

confused

your write ups are always good, but im confused how you got the snap- in insulators thru the pucks into to the tailgate , glue ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Grwat update. Thank you for sharing!!! Is LoD making it as a production or not yet?

I'm pretty sure it should be available soon if not now already.

your write ups are always good, but im confused how you got the snap- in insulators thru the pucks into to the tailgate , glue ?

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Are you referring to the well nut? If so, tightening the bolt causes it to squash down and it kinda pinches itself to the tailgate.

Great to hear it's holding up so well, Jet Li is in good hands!

So far so good :)

Amrth

It is bolted on.. if you look at the 2nd picture after the text "A few more shots to show what it all looks like" you can the the bolts.. It is 4" in length I suppose..

Eddie - I understand it did hold up well on this trip .. wouldn't you think with continuous strain on the tailgate its might take a toll.. 125 pounds is a reasonably heavy on those two hinges ..

I was curious to know on the rear view .. from the pictures it looks like the rear view is at 50% visible.. Lol sneaky Prius behind you, you'd never know during forward motion..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It is bolted on.. if you look at the 2nd picture after the text "A few more shots to show what it all looks like" you can the the bolts.. It is 4" in length I suppose..

This is correct. I used a 4" bolt and a well nut to secure the isolators and hockey pucks to the tailgate.

Eddie - I understand it did hold up well on this trip .. wouldn't you think with continuous strain on the tailgate its might take a toll.. 125 pounds is a reasonably heavy on those two hinges ..

Based on previous experience with my JK, I think it'll hold up find for the long term especially since the JL tailgate seems to be more rigid. That being said, it wouldn't be my first choice of carrying a spare - just a decent solution that works until I can find a better option that I like.

I was curious to know on the rear view .. from the pictures it looks like the rear view is at 50% visible.. Lol sneaky Prius behind you, you'd never know during forward motion..

eh, some visibility was lost but there's still more than 50%. You need to remember that the greatest loss is just at the center of the rear window. You can still see out the sides. Overall, it's still a hell of a lot better than what I'm used to on my JK's which is essentially nothing :crazyeyes:

Amrth

Overall, it's still a hell of a lot better than what I'm used to on my JK's which is essentially nothing :crazyeyes:

JK world problems! I've a full time camera, but still isn't a substitute for actual mirror view..

Is the rear view mirror bigger than the JK's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
JK world problems! I've a full time camera, but still isn't a substitute for actual mirror view..

Is the rear view mirror bigger than the JK's?

Maybe by just a bit but then, could just be the shape is a little different. Either way, I feel like I can see a lot better with it.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've realized just how much more the Cooper 13.5 sticks out than the BFG's I had. crazy how it does and glad I had my stinger as well even though I have it mounted a separate tire carrier.

I've had several people ask why I have the stinger, I'm going to show them this post, perfect example of why :thumb:

Top Bottom