VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Does 2.5" Lift + 37" Tires = Rubbing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the questions that Cindy and I get asked all the time since installing a brand new EVO 2.5" Stage 4 Boost Lift and 37" Cooper STT Pros on our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is, do you have any rubbing? Being that we got our Coopers in a 13.50 width and have them mounted on KMC XD231 beadlock wheels that have 4.75" of back spacing, people have been wanting to know if they rub at a full turn, at a full stuff or at a full turn and stuff. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see JET Li being taken out to do some flex testing, to find out where all his problem spots will be and what we did to help address them. We hope you find this video to be helpful in your JL build.

:cool:

A.J.

Another great step by step. Stop making it so easy for everyone. The trial and error will do them some good. Seriously though I hope your getting commissions on all the JL's your selling for them. Just go buy a new JL Rubicon and here's the instructional video series on how to make it put the smack down on your buddy's JK in three easy steps. Thanks Eddie!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely looking good, impressive for what little is done to your JL.

Thanks and yes, it's crazy how little is needed to get a JL to this point. :yup:

Another great step by step. Stop making it so easy for everyone. The trial and error will do them some good. Seriously though I hope your getting commissions on all the JL's your selling for them. Just go buy a new JL Rubicon and here's the instructional video series on how to make it put the smack down on your buddy's JK in three easy steps. Thanks Eddie!

:cheesy: Truly flattered. Sure would be nice if Jeep even knew who we were but of course, that's not why we do what we do :)

I don't tho k a Rubi is in the budget but may be a sport on a 2.5" and 35's

That would be a nice setup too :yup:

RockingK

Interesting how these minor steps create such great results, well done. I was concerned that 4.75” of back space would rub the frame or sway bar. Actually less would create more issues where the fender trim is. Thanks again for all the insight you bring to us considering our future JL build:thumb:

JAGS

Hooked
Cool video eddie. With so many aftermarket wheels in the 4.5 BS area, I’m curious to see someone go that direction. And if 2.5 of life will be enough in that case.

You’ve seemed to have found a brand new option for JL owners!

The high line genders are great!

Whatever makes you happy.

Do we have to designate yet another special restroom??? Lol.

papasurf

Excellent testing and feedback! I assume that you have kept it so far with the stock gear ratio and axles. Thoughts on how the ratio is working with the 37s after the trail run and highway traveling and any fears yet as far as the strength of the stock axles?

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
nice to see minimal work needed for 37s and a budget boost to clear the tires. keeping all these videos on tap for future building

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
very easy! heat guns rock! :rock:

Gotta love easy fixes like this :yup:

Interesting how these minor steps create such great results, well done. I was concerned that 4.75” of back space would rub the frame or sway bar. Actually less would create more issues where the fender trim is. Thanks again for all the insight you bring to us considering our future JL build:thumb:

Yes. Less back spacing would most likely cause rubbing of the tread on the fender trim. 4.75" seems to be a perfect back spacing for the JL :yup:

Loving these Journal short films. Really informative! Nice job!

Thanks Rachel, we're so glad you're enjoying them :blush:

The high line genders are great! Amazing such minimal trim work is needed. Looks good being able to keep the inner fender liners.

Yup, I think all genders will appreciate this :crazyeyes: :D

Cool video eddie. With so many aftermarket wheels in the 4.5 BS area, I’m curious to see someone go that direction. And if 2.5 of life will be enough in that case.

You’ve seemed to have found a brand new option for JL owners!

Whatever makes you happy.

Do we have to designate yet another special restroom??? Lol.

:cheesy:

Excellent testing and feedback! I assume that you have kept it so far with the stock gear ratio and axles. Thoughts on how the ratio is working with the 37s after the trail run and highway traveling and any fears yet as far as the strength of the stock axles?

Yup, all stock for now and unlike the JK, we've felt ZERO need to regear. The all new 8-speed automatic is doing a GREAT job of pushing these 37's and without any loss of power that'd be worth noting.

nice to see minimal work needed for 37s and a budget boost to clear the tires. keeping all these videos on tap for future building

Awesome to hear you talking about your future JL like this ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Gotta love easy fixes like this :yup:

Yes. Less back spacing would most likely cause rubbing of the tread on the fender trim. 4.75" seems to be a perfect back spacing for the JL :yup:

Thanks Rachel, we're so glad you're enjoying them :blush:

Yup, I think all genders will appreciate this :crazyeyes: :D

:cheesy:

Yup, all stock for now and unlike the JK, we've felt ZERO need to regear. The all new 8-speed automatic is doing a GREAT job of pushing these 37's and without any loss of power that'd be worth noting.

Awesome to hear you talking about your future JL like this ;)

Lol genders.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Techknowguy

One of the questions that Cindy and I get asked all the time since installing a brand new EVO 2.5" Stage 4 Boost Lift and 37" Cooper STT Pros on our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is, do you have any rubbing? Being that we got our Coopers in a 13.50 width and have them mounted on KMC XD231 beadlock wheels that have 4.75" of back spacing, people have been wanting to know if they rub at a full turn, at a full stuff or at a full turn and stuff. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see JET Li being taken out to do some flex testing, to find out where all his problem spots will be and what we did to help address them. We hope you find this video to be helpful in your JL build.

:cool:

Hi Eddie- great, informative, videos... I think I have watched all of the JL related ones at least 3 times! I have the EVO Stage 3 kit with shock extensions sitting in my garage waiting for my JLUR to arrive. I plan on running the same wheels as you, but with Nitto Ridge Grappler 37 x 13.5 x 17 tires since we will do far more road driving than off road. So, the question I have is this: how does your JL ride on the road without having installed the EVO "Overland" control arm relocation brackets? I know you guys traveled a long way to get to Moab... was the ride ok? Any insight/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie- great, informative, videos... I think I have watched all of the JL related ones at least 3 times! I have the EVO Stage 3 kit with shock extensions sitting in my garage waiting for my JLUR to arrive. I plan on running the same wheels as you, but with Nitto Ridge Grappler 37 x 13.5 x 17 tires since we will do far more road driving than off road. So, the question I have is this: how does your JL ride on the road without having installed the EVO "Overland" control arm relocation brackets? I know you guys traveled a long way to get to Moab... was the ride ok? Any insight/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2.5" of lift really isn't that much and certainly not enough to significantly and adversely effect the ride quality of your JL. I have found our JL to ride just fine on pavement BUT, with that said, you do need to know that your Ridge Grapplers are load range E tires and you WILL feel them especially if you run them with more than 30 psi. Also, your new tires and wheels are considerably heavier and I have found that the factory shocks can have a hard time keeping up with them in certain off road conditions - somewhere between crawling and going fast, there is a point where a harshness can be felt from the shocks inability to rebound properly. Just something to be aware of.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video! Curious as to your thoughts on the strength of the axles with 37" tires, concerns about breaking (especially front)?

Honestly, it really is just way too soon to tell. The tubes on the M210 are bigger, the end forgings look beefiers and the brackets are thicker but I'd have to say you'd need to give me until the end of the year to know for sure. That's about how long it took for me to start breaking all kinds of stuff on Moby back in the day.

Top Bottom