Moab April 11-14

mallavoider

Hey guys, last minute decision to make a trip up to Moab from SoCal. We found a condo that we are staying in. We are 2 JK driving up and 1 Taco will meet us up there. Looking for some advice from the group here on what to expect and what to bring. This is also an open invitation to any fellow Jeepers that would like to join. Not sure on which trails to hit once there. Our 2 Jeeps are pretty capable with lockers and 37’s. I have experience with local SoCal trails such as John Bull and such. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Depending on how equipped the taco is there are a lot of great places you can go. Bring what you normally would for a typical wheeling trip and you will be fine. I will watch closely and if I can, I’ll drive down from salt lake to show you around a bit.

mallavoider

Depending on how equipped the taco is there are a lot of great places you can go. Bring what you normally would for a typical wheeling trip and you will be fine. I will watch closely and if I can, I’ll drive down from salt lake to show you around a bit.

That will be awesome. The Taco is coming from SLC as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I love that book. I have one for SoCal trails. I did not know that they had one for Moab. Should have known.

There are a few places in town you can get one. But it seems the Moab adventure center always has them.

Brute

Hooked
Thanks for the tip. I love that book. I have one for SoCal trails. I did not know that they had one for Moab. Should have known.

You can order it from Amazon...check this forum , it might be available in Jeep Parts under Books & Maps

Cold Gas

There is tons of info all over on Moab. But for what it’s worth I just got back from my first trip ever there. So here is my take on it as a recent first timer.
I was a bit worried as had never been rock crawling before but lots of off road experience in mud and snow, my normal local conditions. So I warmed up on Fins & Things. Lots of fun and got me used to the traction and angles that are possible there. Fun trail and worth doing. Hells Revenge was a ton of fun as well and possible to do in a stock Jeep as well. My absolute favourite run I did was the Poison Spider / Golden Spike / Gold Bar Rim combo run. Tons of fun obstacles and a great day. Lockers needed on both ends for that one if you don’t want to be on a strap, but one guy we were with made it with 35’s and minimal lift but good skid plates which were used often. Lol
You will have a blast it’s amazing place to explore

Bustedback

They now offer an app for every trail in the nation for 60 bucks, plus updates will be free.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

mallavoider

There is tons of info all over on Moab. But for what it’s worth I just got back from my first trip ever there. So here is my take on it as a recent first timer.
I was a bit worried as had never been rock crawling before but lots of off road experience in mud and snow, my normal local conditions. So I warmed up on Fins & Things. Lots of fun and got me used to the traction and angles that are possible there. Fun trail and worth doing. Hells Revenge was a ton of fun as well and possible to do in a stock Jeep as well. My absolute favourite run I did was the Poison Spider / Golden Spike / Gold Bar Rim combo run. Tons of fun obstacles and a great day. Lockers needed on both ends for that one if you don’t want to be on a strap, but one guy we were with made it with 35’s and minimal lift but good skid plates which were used often. Lol
You will have a blast it’s amazing place to explore

Great info. I will do just that then. I’m getting excited just thinking about it. Golden information. Thank you.

Cold Gas

I maybe should of said this before but honestly before I went for my first trip, YouTube was my best source of prep. I probably watched at least 80 hours of Youtube videos. Watching people get it all wrong, and do it properly, taught me a lot so I felt like I was prepared at all the major obstacles. I learned a lot about line selection from there and I know many probably laugh at me for saying this. But hey I kept it shiny side up and no damage after 10 days of running trails there.
Also I did manage to break a couple minor things. The guys at Dixie Offroad were amazing. They stayed after hours and fixed me up. Also they were amazing fair with their prices. So if you need anything while you are there I would 100% recommend them.

Last edited:

mallavoider

I maybe should of said this before but honestly before I went for my first trip, YouTube was my best source of prep. I probably watched at least 80 hours of Youtube videos. Watching people get it all wrong, and do it properly, taught me a lot so I felt like I was prepared at all the major obstacles. I learned a lot about line selection from there and I know many probably laugh at me for saying this. But hey I kept it shiny side up and no damage after 10 days of running trails there.
Also I did manage to break a couple minor things. The guys at Dixie Offroad were amazing. They stayed after hours and fixed me up. Also they were amazing fair with their prices. So if you need anything while you are there I would 100% recommend them.

Thank you for the info. I did watched you tube video. Perhaps too many. LOL. But really, thank you for the info. Glad you had great time!

mallavoider

I wanted to thank those of you that gave me great inside information about this trip. I did make out there and now I cannot wait to get back. Here are some pics IMG_7992.jpg IMG_5413.jpg IMG_5421.jpg IMG_5428.jpg

Cold Gas

Glad you had a blast there. It’s addictive i think as I am already planing for next year as well. Except this time I am going after EJS like you did. Hopefully be a bit quieter on the trails then. I found it was a traffic jam when I was there.
How was it while you were there as far as being busy on the trails?

mallavoider

Glad you had a blast there. It’s addictive i think as I am already planing for next year as well. Except this time I am going after EJS like you did. Hopefully be a bit quieter on the trails then. I found it was a traffic jam when I was there.
How was it while you were there as far as being busy on the trails?

So we were there from Wednesday to Saturday. The busiest time was Friday and possibly Saturday. We got on the road Saturday morning. Not many people, but still a few around in case you need help. I would recommend going right after EJS. Besides accommodations are cheaper and easier to find. We rented a whole house for $1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom