Can a warped drum lead to a warped hub flange?

sm31

I've been putting off fixing a warped hub flange for a few thousand miles. It's not warped enough to affect ride quality much. I can see the rear tire wobble about a half inch as I'm driving. The worst part is the pulsing in the brakes. So I swapped the axle this weekend and initial results felt great. Obviously the new flange wasn't warped, and the tire was perfectly straight. Could still feel a little bit of pulsing in the brakes but I ASSumed that was because I had run with the warped hub flange longer than I should have.

Now I'm about 50 miles into the new axle and I can already see a very small wobble beginning to develop. And the pulsing is worsening to the point where it's about like it was before.

At first I thought maybe my drum is not installing flush against the flange but the fact that there was no wobble initially makes me doubt it. My latest theory is that there is something about the pulsing brakes that is hammering away at that hub flange and eventually warping it. I've decided to replace the drum as well but now it feels like I'm just grasping at straws.

Any ideas on what else I can try? Thanks!!!

A.J.

I've been putting off fixing a warped hub flange for a few thousand miles. It's not warped enough to affect ride quality much. I can see the rear tire wobble about a half inch as I'm driving. The worst part is the pulsing in the brakes. So I swapped the axle this weekend and initial results felt great. Obviously the new flange wasn't warped, and the tire was perfectly straight. Could still feel a little bit of pulsing in the brakes but I ASSumed that was because I had run with the warped hub flange longer than I should have.

Now I'm about 50 miles into the new axle and I can already see a very small wobble beginning to develop. And the pulsing is worsening to the point where it's about like it was before.

At first I thought maybe my drum is not installing flush against the flange but the fact that there was no wobble initially makes me doubt it. My latest theory is that there is something about the pulsing brakes that is hammering away at that hub flange and eventually warping it. I've decided to replace the drum as well but now it feels like I'm just grasping at straws.

Any ideas on what else I can try? Thanks!!!

Couple things come to mind to check. If you have aftermarket wheels I have seen some contact the balance weights on the drums and can tweak the drum or wheel. Pretty rare but a possibility. If your drum is warped it will get worse in time and you may notice it is worse when heated up from driving and braking and then better when it cools off. I doubt if the drum would bend the flange. If you have a dial indicator you can check the flange. I would replace both drums and make sure your shoes are adjusted properly. You could have the drums machined if they are still thick enough, but they will warp easier next time.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Get a dial indicator and accurately check the new axle. If it's good, torque the rotor/drum on and check that too.

A good axle should have less than .002 runout and a good rotor usually is .003 or less.

sm31

Thanks for the feedback!! I didn't think to put a dial indicator on the new axle. Didn't need to with the old one because I could actually see the flange wobble (wheel & drum off, idling in drive).

I've ordered a new drum... should I do both sides or can I get away with just one. Not really a fan of turning drums or rotors because I live in the mountains. I try not to ride my brakes but they still get a bit warmer than they did when I lived in the plains.

sm31

Just a follow-up to my thread with "the rest of the story"...

I feel like a dumbass (which is not unusual). Basically, I did not properly diagnose the pulsing brake problems with my jeep. I knew I had a bent axle flange, so I replaced the axle. I had also ASSumed that that the bent flange correlated with my pulsing brakes because the drum must be rubbing. When the new axle (and new drum) did not fix the problem, my mind began playing tricks on me and I thought I was seeing yet another bent axle flange.

All the while, a much more likely set of suspects were located... at the front of the vehicle. (sigh)

So, yes I did have a bent axle flange. Replacing the axle was the right solution.

But NO, the bent flange was not responsible for my pulsing brakes. Warped rotors were the problem (they are usually the problem). So now they are replaced and things are better now. :doh:

Top Bottom