catalytic convertor dying?

Dune Crawler

So I’ve recently gotten back into driving and working on my Jeep and I’ve noticed this kinda growling gargling sound from the cats when I put my pedal down. (Note both cats are extremely rusty)

(Little background info) I have the exhaust right in front of the rear axle on a 2DR so maybe it could be the exhaust pipe not being long enough? Could this cause the cats to sound like that?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Hit them with a rubber mallet. If they're breaking apart inside, it will rattle likes rocks are inside. I've never seen one make a noise other than that.

If they're plugged up, you'll have a loss of power and usually an engine light on.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hit them with a rubber mallet. If they're breaking apart inside, it will rattle likes rocks are inside. I've never seen one make a noise other than that.

If they're plugged up, you'll have a loss of power and usually an engine light on.

This^^^^ you can clearly tell if they are falling apart this way.

Dune Crawler

I’ll try the mallet. If they’re plugged up is there a special way to unclog them? Or is replacing less of a headache?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
*there is one way to maybe clean it. Most auto parts store so carry a product called cataclean. I've seen it work and I've seen it fail. Still doesn't hurt to try it as it cleans out the rest of your exhaust system.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

“Snake oil”. It will usually work to help get you thru emissions tests but doesn’t last long.

Dune Crawler

Update*

I hit it both cats with a mallet and no signs of a rock sound. I took off the exhaust before work just to see if that would change anything and the engine felt a little less sluggish, but still had the sound coming from the front.

I also ran a diagnostic.

The codes that popped up.
P0174-system too lean
P0455-I didn’t tighten down the cap last fill up.
P0562-first week driven in about a year (I’ll get the battery tested and clean the connectors)
P0706-trans range sensor (could Code P0562 cause this?)

I cleared them so I’ll run another diagnostic tomorrow.

Top Bottom