Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popping in 4wd....looking for advise.

Popping in 4wd....looking for advise.

Hey Jeep fans! I found a new noise today. Jeep has close to 120,000 miles and I recently moved up to 37s, I do have 5.13:1 gears, 1350 JE Reel front Shaft and it is a Rubicon. I don't wheel very hard. Today I came up on a climb and shifted from 2wd to 4-low. I shifted into drive from neutral with no brake and heard about 4 or more fast pops. I made the climb and heard popping a few times as I was going up. Once I got to the top I shifted back into 2wd and goosed it a little and heard no pop. I have attached a link to a video of 4-high acceleration so you all can hear this neat new noise and point me in the direction you think it may be.

Thank you all!

https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/1o...=instagram.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fridge81 View Post
    Hey Jeep fans! I found a new noise today. Jeep has close to 120,000 miles and I recently moved up to 37s, I do have 5.13:1 gears, 1350 JE Reel front Shaft and it is a Rubicon. I don't wheel very hard. Today I came up on a climb and shifted from 2wd to 4-low. I shifted into drive from neutral with no brake and heard about 4 or more fast pops. I made the climb and heard popping a few times as I was going up. Once I got to the top I shifted back into 2wd and goosed it a little and heard no pop. I have attached a link to a video of 4-high acceleration so you all can hear this neat new noise and point me in the direction you think it may be.

Thank you all!

https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/1o...=instagram.com
    What axle shafts? Sounds kinda like a bad U-Joint? Is the 1350 driveline new? Grease-able joints?

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    What axle shafts? Sounds kinda like a bad U-Joint? Is the 1350 driveline new? Grease-able joints?
    The front shafts are original stock units. I purchased the driveline new. The driveline has very few miles on it and i grease it religiously. Only the pinion u-joint and the slip yoke have grease fittings. The noise is only heard when the front end is under load. To me it sounds as if the splines on the axle shafts are stripped and can no longer grip the carrier or the hub ends, but i am not sure how logical that really is.

Hard to tell for sure from the video but I would start by giving your front shaft u-joints a look. That being said, it kinda sounds like you have broken teeth on your ring gear.

Run it on jackstands if you can with a helper. Sounds to me like tcase or ujoint.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Hard to tell for sure from the video but I would start by giving your front shaft u-joints a look. That being said, it kinda sounds like you have broken teeth on your ring gear.

Definitely hoping it is not the ring gear....Next time i get home i'll pull the cover and inspect the gear.

I was under the Jeep before i went out on Thursday and the shaft u-joints looked alright. I will give them a closer look. I think i would hear noise from them even in 2wd due to them always spinning, but being under a load vs just spinning is totally different.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Run it on jackstands if you can with a helper. Sounds to me like tcase or ujoint.
    U-joint should be something you can verify or rule out pretty quickly. Being that the t-case runs on a chain, I'd have to think you'd hear more than just a few pops on acceleration.

If nothing visible can be seen, I'd pop open the diff cover and give things a look there. I'd bet you'll find broken teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post

I will give this a shot as well.

Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridge81 View Post
    Definitely hoping it is not the ring gear....Next time i get home i'll pull the cover and inspect the gear.

I was under the Jeep before i went out on Thursday and the shaft u-joints looked alright. I will give them a closer look. I think i would hear noise from them even in 2wd due to them always spinning, but being under a load vs just spinning is totally different.

Thanks for your input.
    It's the load thing that gets me to think it could be broken teeth. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    U-joint should be something you can verify or rule out pretty quickly. Being that the t-case runs on a chain, I'd have to think you'd hear more than just a few pops on acceleration.

If nothing visible can be seen, I'll pop off the diff cover and give things a look then. I'd bet you'll find broken teeth.

I am thinking broken teeth may be it. I figured it would be a more violent sound that could be felt/heard more if it were teeth. Then again i am not exactly hitting WOT to hear the noise. I have heard front diffs go out and they seemed louder than this noise.

Have you ever experienced a chain failure in the transfer case? Does the chain only move when engaged in 4wd? I would think that over time the chain could stretch and possibly make this type of sound.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast