Taking a trip back to Savannah

BaddestCross

I'm taking my wife back to Savannah, GA to celebrate our 25th anniversary... We spent some time there a couple years ago and she fell in love with the city. We're strongly considering moving there in the near future.

Anyhow, I'm reaching out to you folks that live in the general area to ask for suggestions of things to do or see. We probably did most of the touristy stuff the last time, so we want to spend this trip really getting to know the city to see if we really want to end up there permanently.

We're also planning on spending a day or two in the Charleston area as well (which we haven't been to), so if there's any can't-miss stuff there, those suggestions would be welcomed as well.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

WJCO

Meme King
I'm taking my wife back to Savannah, GA to celebrate our 25th anniversary... We spent some time there a couple years ago and she fell in love with the city. We're strongly considering moving there in the near future.

Anyhow, I'm reaching out to you folks that live in the general area to ask for suggestions of things to do or see. We probably did most of the touristy stuff the last time, so we want to spend this trip really getting to know the city to see if we really want to end up there permanently.

We're also planning on spending a day or two in the Charleston area as well (which we haven't been to), so if there's any can't-miss stuff there, those suggestions would be welcomed as well.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I've only visited, but did the downtown thing. Cool history there. Pretty area. We visited a beach out there on a South Carolina island just north of the city and that was cool too. The people in Savannah were extremely friendly as well.

longarmwj

I've only visited, but did the downtown thing. Cool history there. Pretty area. We visited a beach out there on a South Carolina island just north of the city and that was cool too. The people in Savannah were extremely friendly as well.

Southern hospitality in Savannah is very very prevalent.

At night though be careful where you go. There are a few rough spots down there that you wouldn’t catch me dead in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Are you flying in or driving in???

We're flying in. Last time we flew into Atlanta and spent a couple days touring Walking Dead locations but this time we're flying direct to Savannah.

The history is awesome, the architecture is beautiful, and the people are really cool. Also, I can't eat seafood here in California anymore. 😎

Southern hospitality in Savannah is very very prevalent.

At night though be careful where you go. There are a few rough spots down there that you wouldn’t catch me dead in.

Agreed... Last time we rented a condo that was a couple rooms of an old Victorian mansion that was converted into condos. It backed up to an old cemetery... We walked everywhere the whole time and even well after midnight, we never really felt unsafe. I have heard stories, though, so I hear what you're saying.

I would like to know where the "rougher" spots are, though, so I know where to stay away from as far as potential permanent housing goes if/when we do decide to move there. Any insights you may have would be appreciated.

--

longarmwj

Florance St is where most gang activity takes place. Pennsylvania Ave is where most drug activity takes place.

The general rule is MLK to East Broad. As long as you're between those streets and north of Gaston ya should be good.

BaddestCross

Florance St is where most gang activity takes place. Pennsylvania Ave is where most drug activity takes place.

The general rule is MLK to East Broad. As long as you're between those streets and north of Gaston ya should be good.

That's very helpful. Thanks!

Funny you mention Pennsylvania Ave... I had been looking around the neighborhoods between President St and Hwy 80 along Pennsylvania Ave as potential rental property areas... How bad is the drug activity? 😎

--

longarmwj

That's very helpful. Thanks!

Funny you mention Pennsylvania Ave... I had been looking around the neighborhoods between President St and Hwy 80 along Pennsylvania Ave as potential rental property areas... How bad is the drug activity? [emoji41]

--

Not sure how bad it is but I do know that there’s the monthly drug bust down there lol

catahoula

Caught the Bug

--

Southern hospitality is...well...fake. I lived in Columbia, SC 6 years tooo long. Great to visit. Now lets get down to business. We visited all towns around there including Charleston and Savannah several times.

Visit Old Sheldon Church ruins on the way to Savannah. Stop off in Beaufort check out Fort Fredrick the oldest tabby fort, Hunting Island light house...reminded me of Jurassic Park driving through there and then go on the river walk and try some she crab soup...fucking awesome. Hilton Head is a tourist trap, HOWEVER stop off at Salty Dog Cafe and get their Shrimp and grits...fucking awesomer!!! When you hit Savannah hit the Savannah Riverboat tour. When back and docked there is a restaurant that have a roof top deck you can see from the boats. Go eat outside and order some grouper...fucking awesomest!!!

Definitely, walk the towns of Charleston and Savannah. You need to walk around check out the courtyards of the properties there. Rainbow row are a given and the market place for that cheezy SC shirt or hat. Just got distracted...There is something hot about one's wife trying to drink something and it spills out and runs down her chin..."bless her heart" anyway don't forget the Angel Oak tree. Always try some of the road side food fare if you come across it. Some of the best BBQ I had was at some of those stops. We look at it like this when you are on vacation and try it and get the big d's...and I don't men Dallas you got a few days to recover.

Check out VRBO or AIRBNB for some cool places to stay, OR I stay at one of those cheap motels that have that cool fucking Belgian waffle maker. You know the one where you gotta flip? I love that shit. Yeah I'm cheap n easy!

wibornz

Go to Green Truck for the best burger. It is awesome. Of course you must walk River St. Also spend some time on Tibia Island.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Southern hospitality is...well...fake. I lived in Columbia, SC 6 years tooo long. Great to visit. Now lets get down to business. We visited all towns around there including Charleston and Savannah several times.

Visit Old Sheldon Church ruins on the way to Savannah. Stop off in Beaufort check out Fort Fredrick the oldest tabby fort, Hunting Island light house...reminded me of Jurassic Park driving through there and then go on the river walk and try some she crab soup...fucking awesome. Hilton Head is a tourist trap, HOWEVER stop off at Salty Dog Cafe and get their Shrimp and grits...fucking awesomer!!! When you hit Savannah hit the Savannah Riverboat tour. When back and docked there is a restaurant that have a roof top deck you can see from the boats. Go eat outside and order some grouper...fucking awesomest!!!

Definitely, walk the towns of Charleston and Savannah. You need to walk around check out the courtyards of the properties there. Rainbow row are a given and the market place for that cheezy SC shirt or hat. Just got distracted...There is something hot about one's wife trying to drink something and it spills out and runs down her chin..."bless her heart" anyway don't forget the Angel Oak tree. Always try some of the road side food fare if you come across it. Some of the best BBQ I had was at some of those stops. We look at it like this when you are on vacation and try it and get the big d's...and I don't men Dallas you got a few days to recover.

Check out VRBO or AIRBNB for some cool places to stay, OR I stay at one of those cheap motels that have that cool fucking Belgian waffle maker. You know the one where you gotta flip? I love that shit. Yeah I'm cheap n easy!

The cheap waffle makers? Those things are like $1000 a piece.

BaddestCross

Lol. You think so? I've spent quite a bit of time in places from Memphis to Savannah and I haven't experienced anything but solid people... Of course, there's bound to be assholes everywhere. I'm surrounded by them here in SoCal. 🤣

There's a couple spots on that list of yours I haven't checked out yet, so I'll look them up. Thanks!

I'd have to agree with you about the chin comment. 😎

I haven't had good BBQ since I left Tennessee... I'll have to look harder this time. Savannah's seafood spoiled me, but I wasn't impressed with Georgia BBQ.

I'm with you on the cheap hotels... I did the condo last time because I wanted to experience the historic home. This time we're on a tighter budget and we're only in the room at night anyway.

--

BaddestCross

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Lol. You think so? I've spent quite a bit of time in places from Memphis to Savannah and I haven't experienced anything but solid people... Of course, there's bound to be assholes everywhere. I'm surrounded by them here in SoCal. 🤣
--

It is a known fact that down south when they say..."bless your heart" they are about to talk shit about you or someone else! :cheesy::cheesy:

Ageed! There are assholes everywhere!

Scrambler

It is a known fact that down south when they say..."bless your heart" they are about to talk shit about you or someone else! :cheesy::cheesy:

Ageed! There are assholes everywhere!

You seem to be quite infatuated with the lingo of the south. There are assholes everywhere, but I’d say, in general, I prefer the “fake southern hospitality “ to some other areas I’ve visited. Maybe it’s just me...

Top Bottom