Radiator Advice?

jeepsheets

Had to put front and rear seal replacement on hold as I appear to have popped a radiator yesterday... will pressure test to confirm, but based on loss of coolant and initial inspection of hoses, pretty sure the plastic top cracked.

It’s a ‘90 YJ with 6 cyl. 180k miles. I plan to keep it for quite a while if I can afford to... Question is this, should I go aluminum with the radiator or stick with stock? No serious off roading, just a big mud hole here and there. Mostly just a fun drive around Jeep.

I’ll be doing this work myself, so any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I've got a stock one from my 97 TJ with the same dimensions lying around. Different part numbers but cooling capacity Is the same. If you end up going with stock I can get it rolling to you for the cost of shipping.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepsheets

Wow, man that’s an amazing offer. Thanks a lot, but it now appears my leak is coming from the water pump. Based on the amount of spray I thought for sure it was the radiator.
After everything was cool I filled the radiator with water and had a good stream running off the hose from the water pump. So I thought maybe the hose was bad. I just replaced the hose, refilled with water, and have the same problem. Is my water pump cracked somewhere? Is that even possible? The pics try to show where the water is coming from... IMG_2810.jpg IMG_2812.jpg

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Wow, man that’s an amazing offer. Thanks a lot, but it now appears my leak is coming from the water pump. Based on the amount of spray I thought for sure it was the radiator.
After everything was cool I filled the radiator with water and had a good stream running off the hose from the water pump. So I thought maybe the hose was bad. I just replaced the hose, refilled with water, and have the same problem. Is my water pump cracked somewhere? Is that even possible? The pics try to show where the water is coming from... View attachment 299161 View attachment 299162

If you're sure it's the water pump I'd just get a new one. They're really cheap and good insurance and piece of mind. And no problem! I've got tons of stock TJ parts lying around.

jeepsheets

I’m not sure. Where else could the water be coming from? Any way to test it? I rented a pressure tester but not sure it’s any use. My leak is bad with just gravity... sorry. First Jeep and I’m learning as I go.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I don't see any obvious leaks however the Jeep's coolant system is fairly straight forward. Radiator water pump and hoses. Other than that it's just connections. New hose kits run like 25 bucks and water pump is 30 bucks. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace them

jeepsheets

I don't see any obvious leaks however the Jeep's coolant system is fairly straight forward. Radiator water pump and hoses. Other than that it's just connections. New hose kits run like 25 bucks and water pump is 30 bucks. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace them

Finished replacing pump and hoses last night. Cleaned clutch and fan while I had it all apart... got a good flush of the system while in the process... everything seems to be working correctly. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom