2016 JKU radiator went bad at 27,000 miles

jku612

The radiator split down a seam. I haven't been in any crashes, and it has never over heated. The local dealer told me this is a common problem with the plastic radiators. A recent thread said the mopar unit was better than aftermarket options. I was hoping to replace it with a sturdier part. Any suggestions?

Dealer also wanted to do 30k maintenance which included changing differential oil, flushing radiator, and flushing the transmission and replacing the filter. I change my own oil, and I did the diffs at 20k. Does the transmission really need service? My manual said 100k for the radiator and 60k for the transmission.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The radiator split down a seam. I haven't been in any crashes, and it has never over heated. The local dealer told me this is a common problem with the plastic radiators. A recent thread said the mopar unit was better than aftermarket options. I was hoping to replace it with a sturdier part. Any suggestions?

Dealer also wanted to do 30k maintenance which included changing differential oil, flushing radiator, and flushing the transmission and replacing the filter. I change my own oil, and I did the diffs at 20k. Does the transmission really need service? My manual said 100k for the radiator and 60k for the transmission.

First off, there is NO need for the additional service that your dealership is wanting to do. Second, the Mopar radiator is still what I would go with. While failures like yours can happen, it's isn't a common thing especially so early on. In fact, I would think this should be covered under warranty being that you're under 36k. That being said, I've had my factory JK radiators last over 100k.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

I just had my original radiator replaced under warranty at 34,000 miles on my 2016 JKU.

You don’t need any of the other service. Coolant is good for ten years like you mentioned and the transmission fluid is actually good for 120k or 60k if you tow.

tdougherty81

I was hoping to replace it with a sturdier part.

I can just say from my own experience Mishimoto was not any sturdier. Looked pretty but only lasted 8 months. Yes they have good warranties but I rather not spend that much only to have to warranty them less than a year down the road.

Top Bottom