Duratracs 35" on Rubicon stock wheels (17" x 7.5")?

Bigfoot

I am looking for some new tires and I would appreciate any opinion on the following requirements:

- good winter tire (Currently I live in the north east and eventually I will take this wrangler home to north Europe)
- good in sand (in the north east I will end up with the Jeep more on the beach than on something like a trail)
- anything in the 33" to 35" range (with Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares and/or a 2.5" AEV lift)
- I should better keep the stock wheel as it will be the easiest (maybe only) way to pass TÜV in Europe (which is comparable to DOT compliance and DMV inspection, just so much harder to pass :crazyeyes:)
- good daily driver (noise and fuel economy)
- when my job in the US expires I will do a road trip to California and on my way I will try to experience some real off road trails

I have a stock '07 Rubicon Unlimited with a Superchips Trailjammer TDX (aFe Power Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si PRO 5R Intake System + Superchips TrailDash).

My basic question is: Is it save to run a Duratrac LT315/70R17 on the Rubicon stock wheel (17" x 7.5"). The official rim width range of this tire is 8.5" to 10". :thinking:

If not I will probably just run 33" Duratracs with Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares (no lift then). For the record I have already read this Write-Up: Bushwacker JK Flat Fender Installation Write-Up
The pictures in this Write-Up show 35″ goodyear MT/R’s mounted on stock wheels and spidertrax wheel spacers. :icon_crazy:

JKBANDIT55

I am running 35" 315-75-17 duratracs on the stock wheels. Honestly 35" tires are very common on stock wheels and you shouldn't have a problem with this set up. Now, you will need 1.5" wheel spacers to run 35s and even some 33s. You will also need at least a 2.5" lift. Trimmed flairs as well if you plan on wheeling.

The Duratracs are going to be the BEST all around tire you can buy! Meaning, they are going to perform very well in anything you put in front of them! I have only had mine for 3 weeks on this jeep and can tell you that they out performed all other rigs on our last run in the snow. And some of those rigs had- MTR Kevlar, nitto trail grapplers, KM2s, toyo m/ts, and the stock rubicon M/Ts. I was leading the group and what I found myself easily making it up obstacles and steep climbs, they were struggling and some didn't make it even locked.

The wider more aggressive tread pattern as compared to other A/Ts are going to act a lot more like a M/T on the trail. There are a lot of people on this forum running this tire that will tell you that they do really well in anything off road.

And they have great road manners. quiet on road. They are a little cheaper than most M/Ts, and personally I think they are the best bang for the buck if you want a tire thats an all around good tire.

Here are some pics!

F0FD60EF-FF42-4AF3-A774-D41854080577-2899-000001A77DADCADD_zpsaac0c7c0.jpg

E1953DE5-131C-43FF-BBAA-62354AE6DD33-2992-000001B3D649F73A_zps6af4a16d.jpg

0860B144-D5EF-4703-9EED-E4C641552161-7529-000005BF4B6B4DFC_zpsc9b202b5.jpg

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Thanks for all the information - you have a good looking Jeep with some clean modifications. My JK is black and I would most likely keep the silver finish of the wheels. As for the colors my rig would look a little like the opposite of yours then. Which lift do you have?

I suppose it doesn't really matter which wheel spacers as long as they are 1.5" and have the right bolt pattern. Or are there any preferences for a specific reason?

I don't want the tires to stick out past the fenders. It looks alright on your photos but can you confirm that they don't stick out?

Discount Tire

JK bandit, excellent photos.

The largest tire size we recommend for your stock wheels is a 285/70R17. You can safely run a 295/70R17 BUT you'd also need to run a wheel spacer. (not recommended by Discount Tire)

Here's a link to the Duratrac sizes: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...byName.do?tmn=Wrangler+DuraTrac&typ=Truck/SUV

There is a $60.00 mail in rebate available at this time as well. It is good until March 31st 2013.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

Last edited:

JKBANDIT55

Thanks for all the information - you have a good looking Jeep with some clean modifications. My JK is black and I would most likely keep the silver finish of the wheels. As for the colors my rig would look a little like the opposite of yours then. Which lift do you have?

I suppose it doesn't really matter which wheel spacers as long as they are 1.5" and have the right bolt pattern. Or are there any preferences for a specific reason?

I don't want the tires to stick out past the fenders. It looks alright on your photos but can you confirm that they don't stick out?

Thank you. As far as wheel spacers. I would actually make sure your spending money on a quality spacer to make sure your 100% safe in your jeep. Some companies make floating wheel spacers that dont bolt to your jeep. And those dont sound too safe to me. I am running g2 wheel spacers that I got from 4 wheel parts. Spidertrax also makes some alike wheel spacers that are also a good quality. You can find a good set of spacers for around 90$ a set. You will need 2 sets.

Now the tires are going to stick out past the fenders just about 1/4 inch. But the reason is that the space is needed so you dont get any rubbing while turning.
D706C641-1A91-4FBA-95CC-ADC086E8BA4A-7662-0000052A7016144C_zpsfbab83a6.jpg

I am running a 2.5" RC Coil lift and painted my wheels black simply because I like the look of it. Personally I think Black on Black wheels would look sweet on your rig but its whatever makes you happy!

I got my tires from discount tire. They offer the best prices and have a great warrenty and service. Most discount tires will not mount wheel spacers but after showing them the quality wheel spacers I have, they decided to install them and the wheels and tires for me.

Good luck

JKBANDIT55

I agree, floating wheel spacers don't seem safe to me either. The Spidertrax spacers seem the way to go. However when I make a side by side comparison with the Rough Country spacers I feel like I have to pay 40 bucks extra only for a blue double anodizing process. Any objections against the Rough Country spacers?

Those spacers are made from the exact same metal as the spidertrax or g2 wheel spacers so I would think they are about the same quality. Besides I know rough country stands by their products so I say get them. Just make sure they come with LocTite. If not buy some.

Rivertoys

I just put 315/70 17 Duratrac's on 17x9 M/T Classic III's. I think it's a good width for the rim, on that tire. f it would even fit a 7.5, I think it would be ballooned quite a bit.

jeep-tires.jpg

Love the tire so far, but have not had it off road. Very smooth and quiet, compared to the 32" BFG M/Ts that came off.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I just put 315/70 17 Duratrac's on 17x9 M/T Classic III's. I think it's a good width for the rim, on that tire. f it would even fit a 7.5, I think it would be ballooned quite a bit.

jeep-tires.jpg

Love the tire so far, but have not had it off road. Very smooth and quiet, compared to the 32" BFG M/Ts that came off.

Nice looking rig! How do you like your RK lift?

Rivertoys

Nice looking rig! How do you like your RK lift?

Thanks! I like it a lot, but I'm still in break-in mode. I was worried I would not like the springs, or the ride. I spent a lot of time talking to the guys from RK about it, at the off-road expo in Pomona last year. They were right, I really like the springs and the ride. I just went through this weekend, and re-checked the torque on all of the key parts. I plan to finally get it in the dirt this coming weekend. I have a feeling I will really like it there too though.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would say running them on the 7.5" rim is ok. After getting more info from Eddie about running 35's on my 8" wide rim he would recommend it. Helps from breaking the bead when aired down. To wide of a rim and you have to run bead locks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DK'sJK

Is each discount tire different in what they will install? Just called mine here to order 35" mud grapplers and they will not install on my stock rims.

bob-o12jk

Banned
Is each discount tire different in what they will install? Just called mine here to order 35" mud grapplers and they will not install on my stock rims.

Just buy the tires and when they come load them up and go to Walmart. They usually will mount them

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Discount Tire

There was some confusion in our last post. See the edit we made to post #4.

All our stores operate under the same guidelines.

Last edited:

sacax

hi all!

just to be sure of it... will 35" trail grapplers or toyo's mt will fit my 2013 stock rims? even if they say the smallest width should be 8" ?

thanks!

Discount Tire

hi all!

just to be sure of it... will 35" trail grapplers or toyo's mt will fit my 2013 stock rims? even if they say the smallest width should be 8" ?

thanks!

See our earlier reply. Post #4 :thumb:

The tires will physically mount up but you may experience irregular tread wear because the sidewalls will be pinched slightly upwards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom