Hardtop racks and baskets

Loni

Hey everyone, I haven’t posted in awhile. I was curious who has Yakima or Thule or any other brand for that matter, cargo racks on their wranglers?
I have Yakima rain gutters with 58” bars. I am looking to get a basket and fairing. I need the basket purely for holding suitcases and luggage on my road trips. Does anyone else have cool baskets and if you do, what basket and what dimensions is it?

Pics would be appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone, I haven’t posted in awhile. I was curious who has Yakima or Thule or any other brand for that matter, cargo racks on their wranglers?
I have Yakima rain gutters with 58” bars. I am looking to get a basket and fairing. I need the basket purely for holding suitcases and luggage on my road trips. Does anyone else have cool baskets and if you do, what basket and what dimensions is it?

Pics would be appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone!

I have a Yakima mega load warrior that I use occasionally. All the weight is on a plastic hardtop, so obviously you need to be mindful of that. It works well for large but not heavy things. IMG_2517.jpg

jpone

I am running Yakima crossbars and a Thule Force XL rooftop cargo box. The box is huge and we fill it heavy. Added a 3rd crossbar in the middle being overly cautious. Haven't had any problems. Works great.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 4.14.29 PM.png

Loni

I have a Yakima mega load warrior that I use occasionally. All the weight is on a plastic hardtop, so obviously you need to be mindful of that. It works well for large but not heavy things. View attachment 299131

Do you know the measurements of your load warrior? Is yours attached with the raingutter style? It looks like you put actual rails into your hardtop.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Do you know the measurements of your load warrior? Is yours attached with the raingutter style? It looks like you put actual rails into your hardtop.

Not attached to the rain rails. Yakima makes a kit for pickup shells. That’s what i have. I drilled through my top. The aluminum channels are permanently attached.

https://explore.yakima.com/custom-i...3595381-1295950481.1490651529#fiberglasstrack

I don’t know the dimensions of the mega load warrior. You probably can find in on Yakima’s website.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Has a body armor rack along with the basket .. no pics in my phone but some in my album on here ..... as for the weight It will vary by Maker most are good for a few hundred pounds though .. and they normally state the rating somewhere in the spec.

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Loni

Ok here is what I ended up doing. I put some Yakima bars using raingutter style attachments and bought a rack online. It worked as far as holding bags but my jeep was constantly overheating. The only thing that changed was the rack. So on my way home I ended up taking the lower fairing off and it was way better but not great. Long story short, the added wind resistance really messed with MPG and heating up the jeep IMG_2504.jpg

I-Eat-Mud

Holy crap, just adding the rack made you overheat?! That's the first time i have ever heard of that. I just use one of those hitch mounted baskets for extra storage when i'm not going to be on trails.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok here is what I ended up doing. I put some Yakima bars using raingutter style attachments and bought a rack online. It worked as far as holding bags but my jeep was constantly overheating. The only thing that changed was the rack. So on my way home I ended up taking the lower fairing off and it was way better but not great. Long story short, the added wind resistance really messed with MPG and heating up the jeep

It's possible there is something else going wrong with the cooling system and the extra load made the symptom show up. An example I had was that my Jeep ran completely fine in the mountains when I first got it, but as SOON as I installed a winch in the front that blocked the grill, it would get hot anytime I went in the same mountains. I was bummed thinking that the winch was the problem, but after some diag, it turned out to be the mechanical fan clutch. Replacing the fan clutch fixed it right away and the winch has still been on to this very day.

Loni

That really good to know. I actually brought it to the dealer before my trip and they replaced some relay (I don’t remember exactly what they said). Anyway I assumed it was fixed and headed out. Nope. Had the engine overheat light come on several times on my trip. I had to have the heater blowing on high and the windows down since it was 85 degrees outside. Anytime I hit a hill, I would see the gauge needle climbing. It was a horrible trip. The way home, after removing one fairing, I only had the issue about three times compared to about 10 on the way there. So obviously something is going on. Time to hit the forums and see what it could be.

Top Bottom