inspection in va issues...

kawimoto

Had the jeep inspected and failed on a few items. one exhaust. it dumps in front of the rear axle so it fails. I did argue that its got a soft top so no matter where the exhaust dumps its going to get fumes in the cab.... regardless I digress. ill bolt up an extension. second and most frustrating, the oro license plate/ third brake light isn't DOT approved so its a no go. anyone else running this setup and run into this? I ordered a standard 2" DOT led taillight that ill wire in line with the existing setup. cut a bracket out of plastic to mount it just above the license plate. just curious if anyone else running aftermarket third brake lights have this issue on inspection day... PITA. anyone know if once a vehicle is rejected if it has to go to the same shop or if I can just get a "second opinion" elsewhere?

zimm

Caught the Bug
You can go to a different station for the re-check. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section60/

VA sucks. I would keep your "inspection stuff" handy and ready to swap in for the inspection, then put it back afterwards. My dad had to drop out the Quadratec LED headlights I gave him because they don't say "DOT" on the lens.

You're in Winchester, check with AK at Chaos Fab and see where they get their inspections done. A friendly visit vs a phone call might help get the "hook up".

daltexjeeper

I too live in VA and have had an inspection on my jeep 2 times at the same shop with the ORO Brake Light LED without issue. Here is the address to the shop if you want to use it:

4657 Duke St, Alexandria, VA 22304 (Exxon)

Bit of a drive for you ;)

kawimoto

You can go to a different station for the re-check. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section60/

VA sucks. I would keep your "inspection stuff" handy and ready to swap in for the inspection, then put it back afterwards. My dad had to drop out the Quadratec LED headlights I gave him because they don't say "DOT" on the lens.

You're in Winchester, check with AK at Chaos Fab and see where they get their inspections done. A friendly visit vs a phone call might help get the "hook up".
Yeah AK and I are good friends. The shop we typically go through got a new inspector and he seems to be an ass. Ill be keeping "inspection parts" on hand from here out... just hate dealing with beurocratic bs

kawimoto

I too live in VA and have had an inspection on my jeep 2 times at the same shop with the ORO Brake Light LED without issue. Here is the address to the shop if you want to use it:

4657 Duke St, Alexandria, VA 22304 (Exxon)

Bit of a drive for you ;)

Thanks I appreciate it. it is quite the drive

Amrth

I feel your pain! I've been on the same boat and then took the Jeep to a off-road shop used by our club, it was a breeze in there..

I'm surprised he did not say anything on the beadlocks (assuming you have them).. I've heard its not allowed on road in VA for vehicles to have beadlocks..

Top Bottom