Thinking of switching to Ridge Grappler

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
When I put my STT pros on last year I had a truck and wasn’t driving the Jeep much so it was only my trail/weekend driver. A couple months back I ended up selling the truck and the Jeep has since become my DD and seeing a lot more highway miles. (2hr trips most weekends, Mexico 5 times a year, etc).

My dilemma is this:
I love my STT Pros (37x13.50) but considering switching to the Ridge grapplers for better road manners. I like that the RG is an (aggressive) A/T and should be smoother and quieter while still offering great performance the few times a year that I’m actually in the rocks.

Right now my tires like to grab every little rut or line in the road and follow them making it wander quite a bit. I’m thinking 12.50 all terrains night track straighter than the 13.50 but I’m not really sure. Anyone have any input on this?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I DD mine with the same SST's and have no issues with 17,000 miles on them. I don't think changing tires will change the manners. Maybe you got worn out ball joints or steering components? What's your castor set at?

I also stupidly bought an extra set of 17's and 35" Toyo AT's for "daily driving" and I hated it. They looked stupid, didn't drive any better, and sold them at a huge loss.

badandy1

I'm with Zimm. I DD on 37x12.50's 100 miles round trip every day. 6 degrees of caster at 75 MPH no issues at all. Look over Ball joints, track bar, etc for wear and tear.

J

JKDream

Right now my tires like to grab every little rut or line in the road and follow them making it wander quite a bit. I’m thinking 12.50 all terrains night track straighter than the 13.50 but I’m not really sure. Anyone have any input on this?

I have Ridge Grapplers and they do the same thing.
With that said, on a flat road with no ruts or anything it tracks straight, but I also have a PR44 and six degrees of caster.

jesse3638

Hooked
It's a lifted jeep running 37's, it's gonna drive like a lifted jeep on 37's no matter the tread pattern. My jeep on 35's drives great but my Senta drives better. When I drive the jeep after that I feel like I'm all over the road just because that little car drives like a little car.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I ran ridge grapplers on my last JK. They were really quite and had decent road manners. The sidewall was really stiff so the Jeep rode like a boxcar but that could be solved with a different rating. They wore great after 15k they looked like they did when I got them. I put Cooper's on my new jk and couldn't be happier with them. They performed better in rain and snow then the rg's or at least it seemed like they did. If I had to choose between the two right now the Cooper's would be my choice

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I think this is the first post I’ve seen where someone is considering moving away from the Coopers.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
It's a lifted jeep running 37's, it's gonna drive like a lifted jeep on 37's no matter the tread pattern. My jeep on 35's drives great but my Senta drives better. When I drive the jeep after that I feel like I'm all over the road just because that little car drives like a little car.

Agreed. While there may be some improvement (and that improvement being subjective) it wouldn’t be worth it to me to make it less capable then what i bought and built it for. But to each their own.

JK-JOHN-E

About 800 miles on my 35x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers and love them. Aggressive sidewall and mud lug on outside, AT inner tread pattern. Ride great, balanced great and highly recommend

Deacon

I currently have 37x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers for about 5 months - ride great no problems, looks good on the jeep but may switch over to the Cooper Stt Pro 40's end of summer - wish I would have just gone that route to begin with :doh: . Also the Coopers are a lighter tire then then nittos in the sames sizes if that matters.

But otherwise the Nittos ride great - no complaints.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I think this is the first post I’ve seen where someone is considering moving away from the Coopers.

I have since decided to keep my coopers. I do a lot of long highway hauls and life have been crazy so I haven’t had the opportunity to wheel since Moab in early March, and thanksgiving before that. I do hit dirt/sand every couple of months and right now that’s more than I rock crawl lol

Top Bottom