It's not a tumor (well, it is)

Chiromancer

I write this with a little trepidation to my finger tapping. This past Monday, I had a visit with a sports medicine doc who was investigating some discomfort in my shoulder w/ some pain that would sometimes shoot into my hand. After determining my shoulder was fine via x-ray and examination, he ordered an MRI. As luck would have it, there was a spot available that afternoon. I was about to leave for my two week work rotation the next morning, so I arranged to pick up the results and a CD in the morning. I show up, go through the front desk procedures, but after checking in, I'm told I'm getting a CT scan. As I'm lead back, the rad tech agrees that is odd and calls the radiologist. He confirms an MRI is needed and to call the doc. He states it should be an MRI so they hunt to find me a spot. Luck is on my side and one of the last spots for the night is available. I return after dinner...

6/8 sequences in, the tech says he'd like to call the radiologist and ask if he'd like some contrast views. I respond by saying "if that is what he needs, lets do it." I thought it was a little weird, but perhaps there was something in my joint and I'll have answers in the morning.

Fast forward to the next morning, I call to the imaging facility and tell them I'd like to pick up my results. They said they'd have them ready for me when I get there. I go in, identify myself and am handed a nice little CD-sized paper case sealed with a piece of clear tape. I head to my car, flicking at the tape that refuses to give up its hold. After much mashing of teeth, it relents and after opening it, it pull the single folded sheet of cheap printer paper. Unfolding it reveals a lonesome, ominous, four letter word: STAT.

I think, "Odd, I don't recall there being any rush when we ordered this. Perhaps because it was the same day or the scheduling mess up..." As I read on, I learn the weight of a new four letter word: mass. Unfortunately, it wasn't a pretentious medical reference to my weight, but instead an ovoid mass intimately associated with my brachial plexus (fancy word for the group of nerves that control your arm).

Much reading and many phone calls later, there is some good news. It appears it is a tumor of the cells that surround the nerves called Schwann cells, hopefully making it a schwannoma. I say hopefully, as that would make it benign and of a type that rarely becomes malignant. The down side about the location means it is hard to find someone who can do it. No neurosurgeon in the Austin area does it, but after some digging, they found one guy with a rather special speciality.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic oncologist in the middle of next week and hopefully around that time, I'll hear back from the Mayo Clinic up in Minnesota about getting a separate evaluation from them.

I guess this will be a year to test me, but I'm confident it will go well. I've been told this type of tumor is a "good type of tumor to get, if you are getting a tumor." But, the location mine is in is rather tricky as it involves around 8 major nerves instead of one, as well as it is pressing into my lung and sits adjacent to some major arteries. But, I am this far pretty positive and have a great support network. Plus, I have a Jeep!

My short time here has really help me appreciate my vehicle and I'd love to be posting the build thread I've been planning. But, it appears that is getting postponed, which is a bummer. I may end up doing a little more vicarious Jeeping, so you guys keep the stories coming! Bring the camera on your outings and take pictures. To the Utah folks, it appears my trip out is on hold too, but I'll make it out at some point! Thanks for putting up with my little story here, I'll share updates as I learn more. But, get out this weekend and enjoy your jeep, family and friends... Then share it here!

RamP

Best of luck and please keep us posted. It's good that you found out what's going on early instead of letting it go on.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wow! I am very sorry to hear this chiromancer. Please keep us updated. It sounds like you have a great attitude, which is half the battle.

Tackerdown

Banned
Keep that glass half full it will always get you threw hard times. Look forward to seeing your build.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

You have a great attitude brother, please keep us updated.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Topper

Well brother it is I a brother from another mother here to tell you keep your head up and stay positive I'm also from Utah and I'm from the NORTHERN UTE TRIBE. So my brother I will be praying for to get well soon Native pride on your side.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I hate to hear these type of things, but your attitude is great! I hope everything works out!

JK&Beyond

Best of luck to you. Keep the attitude positive and keep the seat of your jeep warm (it can go through anything, even this). :thumb:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Great attitude Chiromancer. May The Lord bless you on your journey and let Him guide you. Good to hear you'll be visiting the Mayo Clinic I hear that is the place to go.

Top Bottom