Any bow hunters out there?

black pearl

Hooked
So I'm thinking of getting back into bow hunting. Last time I bow hunted I was about 15. There has been a lot of changes to bows in the last 20 years. So I'm looking for input on a descent compound bow.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
So I'm thinking of getting back into bow hunting. Last time I bow hunted I was about 15. There has been a lot of changes to bows in the last 20 years. So I'm looking for input on a descent compound bow.

Haven’t been for 20 years. Back when the Chronic Wasting epidemic started in Wisconsin, I gave it up for target and club shoots. Can’t say that I miss it, but I should put a new string on the old Jennings and see if can still pull it back. What are you looking to hunt?

black pearl

Hooked
Haven’t been for 20 years. Back when the Chronic Wasting epidemic started in Wisconsin, I gave it up for target and club shoots. Can’t say that I miss it, but I should put a new string on the old Jennings and see if can still pull it back. What are you looking to hunt?

Thinking of starting with rabbit and turkey. If all goes well move up to dear. I'm sure it's going to take me a minute to get back in the swing of it.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Well I switched from a compound bow to a crossbow now. But Mathews make some nice compound bows. Honestly I prefer bow hunting over gun hunting now.

JKbrick

Well I switched from a compound bow to a crossbow now. But Mathews make some nice compound bows. Honestly I prefer bow hunting over gun hunting now.

Have you found a place around here to hunt? I quit hunting years ago cause I couldn’t find a place to go anywhere

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

Ya can't really go wrong with Mathews or Hoyt both make great boys. Hoyts are a little more temperamental and can be a pain to tune but once dialed in they are a sweet shooting setup. I shoot Hoyt but that's for Target and 3d tourneys. If you're serious though my advice would be to go to a good pro shop around you and not a big box store for your initial fitting.

black pearl

Hooked
Awesome thank you. That's one of the brands I had come across.

Ya can't really go wrong with Mathews or Hoyt both make great boys. Hoyts are a little more temperamental and can be a pain to tune but once dialed in they are a sweet shooting setup. I shoot Hoyt but that's for Target and 3d tourneys. If you're serious though my advice would be to go to a good pro shop around you and not a big box store for your initial fitting.
Thank you
I'm going to look up Hoyt now.
I'll try to find a good shop around me.

I’ve only driven by while working so I haven’t had a chance to go in. But I’ve heard good things about West Coast Archery in Petaluma.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I like PSE and Hoyt myself. I shoot every chance I get in between kids and work. Just waiting for the New Mexico hunt draw results for my mule deer and elk applications.

black pearl

Hooked
I like PSE and Hoyt myself. I shoot every chance I get in between kids and work. Just waiting for the New Mexico hunt draw results for my mule deer and elk applications.

Awesome I'll take a look at PSE also.

Id set a budget and shoot every bow that fits it. A good pro shop will help you find what fits you.
Oh there is definitely a budget. I just want about better brands so I'm not going in blind. Reading up on fps on the different models and draw length and all that good stuff.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Sometimes, a local pro shop can set you up with a quality used bow that someone may have traded in or sold them, and you reap the benefits because they’re usually fully set up and you save money. I would stay away from used bows from sellers you don’t know like online and craigslist stuff. Sometimes it could be a seller who didn’t know what they are doing and possibly dry fired it; then you deal with the safety issues there.

tunafed

I shoot a Hoyt, I have friends that shoot Mathews, Bowtech, PSE and Elite and they are all good bows. Like others said a pro shop is a must. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, always just thought I was a bad shot with a bow until I went to a pro shop and he had me shoot some left handed bows. Ended up with a Hoyt just because it felt more comfortable to me. They will measure you for the correct draw length, etc. Just don't get carried away on draw weight. 60 is plenty for deer and won't wear you out as quick when practicing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

black pearl

Hooked
Sometimes, a local pro shop can set you up with a quality used bow that someone may have traded in or sold them, and you reap the benefits because they’re usually fully set up and you save money. I would stay away from used bows from sellers you don’t know like online and craigslist stuff. Sometimes it could be a seller who didn’t know what they are doing and possibly dry fired it; then you deal with the safety issues there.

I shoot a Hoyt, I have friends that shoot Mathews, Bowtech, PSE and Elite and they are all good bows. Like others said a pro shop is a must. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, always just thought I was a bad shot with a bow until I went to a pro shop and he had me shoot some left handed bows. Ended up with a Hoyt just because it felt more comfortable to me. They will measure you for the correct draw length, etc. Just don't get carried away on draw weight. 60 is plenty for deer and won't wear you out as quick when practicing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you!
I'm going to check out a local shop here soon. Now I have some brands and other information for when I go in.

Allenn

I bow hunt a lot. Like said above Matthews and Hoyt are good bows to be honest now days most all of them are good just get a good archery shop to fit you with one and decide which one feels the best to you. Another thing broadheads have made drastic improvements also. Far as CWD I wouldn’t let that bother me to much there is no proof it can transfer to a human.

black pearl

Hooked
I bow hunt a lot. Like said above Matthews and Hoyt are good bows to be honest now days most all of them are good just get a good archery shop to fit you with one and decide which one feels the best to you. Another thing broadheads have made drastic improvements also. Far as CWD I wouldn’t let that bother me to much there is no proof it can transfer to a human.
As I'm reading up on everything, it seems everything has made huge improvements.

Ditched my compound about 8 years ago. Went to a longbow, live it!

I use to have a long bow. I did like it also.

Allenn

As I'm reading up on everything, it seems everything has made huge improvements.

I use to have a long bow. I did like it also.

Yes they have! Lots of well priced bows that will do the job. I’m a firm believer in mechanical broadheads, but that argument is about like a what’s the best oil argument .

Top Bottom