Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative camber

Negative camber

The guy at the tire shop said my front tires on 2016 rubicon are wearing on inside faster than the outside. Took it to alignment shop. The guy says this is common, itís because there is a slight bow in the axle, all jeeps have it even the Dana 44 and he can only adjust toe in/out for 87 bucks. I have a rubicon express 3.5 lift and 35s. Thanks in advance for everyoneís feedback

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbucket View Post
    The guy at the tire shop said my front tires on 2016 rubicon are wearing on inside faster than the outside. Took it to alignment shop. The guy says this is common, itís because there is a slight bow in the axle, all jeeps have it even the Dana 44 and he can only adjust toe in/out for 87 bucks. I have a rubicon express 3.5 lift and 35s. Thanks in advance for everyoneís feedback

I would say it's only common if axle is bent. The camber shouldn't be set from the factory to have your tires wear more on one edge than the other. How bad are they wearing?

As far as adjustment, if your control arms are non-adjustable ones, that shop is correct that the only adjustment is the toe angle. This thread should help you understand all of the measurements:
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...-End-Alignment
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I would say it's only common if axle is bent. The camber shouldn't be set from the factory to have your tires wear more on one edge than the other. How bad are they wearing?

As far as adjustment, if your control arms are non-adjustable ones, that shop is correct that the only adjustment is the toe angle. This thread should help you understand all of the measurements:
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...-End-Alignment
    I think the tire guy said the inside was worn a couple 32s more than the outside. Alignment guy said the toe was 3/16 off and he brought it in to 3/32. Hopefully this was the problem. Is there adjustable ball joints for jeeps? Iíve never looked it up. If so is there a preferred company that makes them. Thanks for reply

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbucket View Post
    I think the tire guy said the inside was worn a couple 32s more than the outside. Alignment guy said the toe was 3/16 off and he brought it in to 3/32. Hopefully this was the problem. Is there adjustable ball joints for jeeps? Iíve never looked it up. If so is there a preferred company that makes them. Thanks for reply

I think there are. What was the camber reading that he gave you? Do you have the printout?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

I dont

if both sides are wearing somewhat equally, I'd look at the ball joints being worn out.

mine did similar but it was so minimal, hardly noticeable - guys at discount pointed it out.

I was replacing the knuckles and found the ball joints so loose I'm surprised my tires weren't any worse.

Moog has adjustable ball joints
    Last edited by jeeeep; 04-17-2018 at 01:35 AM.

Just had similar thing happen on Friday. Told me I had -1.25 on driver side so thatís why Iím pulling a little to right. Asked if I wanted them to order shims. Had never heard about it being an option before but I guess it is. Considering either doing that and replacing my ball joints or getting a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Eroc147 View Post
    Just had similar thing happen on Friday. Told me I had -1.25 on driver side so thatís why Iím pulling a little to right. Asked if I wanted them to order shims. Had never heard about it being an option before but I guess it is. Considering either doing that and replacing my ball joints or getting a second opinion.

From what I've seen about 1-1.25deg of camber is pretty common if ball joints and unit bearings are good. Very unlikely to cause a pull. Caster is what usually contributes to a pull or radial pull in a tire or road crown. Cross switch the front tires and see if your pull changes direction or goes away. If caster is even it will usually still drift right with road crown. Some tires are more susceptible to pulling also.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    From what I've seen about 1-1.25deg of camber is pretty common if ball joints and unit bearings are good. Very unlikely to cause a pull. Caster is what usually contributes to a pull or radial pull in a tire or road crown. Cross switch the front tires and see if your pull changes direction or goes away. If caster is even it will usually still drift right with road crown. Some tires are more susceptible to pulling also.

My caster is right where it needs to be. The pull isnít too bad. Mostly on two lane back roads at high speeds. Iíll take the Jeep up to DT this afternoon and get them to rotate and balance. See what that does. I just donít see any way my C is bent with the mild wheeling I do and I canít see a bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroc147 View Post
    My caster is right where it needs to be. The pull isnít too bad. Mostly on two lane back roads at high speeds. Iíll take the Jeep up to DT this afternoon and get them to rotate and balance. See what that does. I just donít see any way my C is bent with the mild wheeling I do and I canít see a bend.

I agree with you. I am not saying you have anything bent. Just trying to help so you donít get caught up chasing a pull that may have nothing to do with the alignment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast