Negative camber

Lunchbucket

The guy at the tire shop said my front tires on 2016 rubicon are wearing on inside faster than the outside. Took it to alignment shop. The guy says this is common, it’s because there is a slight bow in the axle, all jeeps have it even the Dana 44 and he can only adjust toe in/out for 87 bucks. I have a rubicon express 3.5 lift and 35s. Thanks in advance for everyone’s feedback

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The guy at the tire shop said my front tires on 2016 rubicon are wearing on inside faster than the outside. Took it to alignment shop. The guy says this is common, it’s because there is a slight bow in the axle, all jeeps have it even the Dana 44 and he can only adjust toe in/out for 87 bucks. I have a rubicon express 3.5 lift and 35s. Thanks in advance for everyone’s feedback

I would say it's only common if axle is bent. The camber shouldn't be set from the factory to have your tires wear more on one edge than the other. How bad are they wearing?

As far as adjustment, if your control arms are non-adjustable ones, that shop is correct that the only adjustment is the toe angle. This thread should help you understand all of the measurements:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Lunchbucket

I would say it's only common if axle is bent. The camber shouldn't be set from the factory to have your tires wear more on one edge than the other. How bad are they wearing?

As far as adjustment, if your control arms are non-adjustable ones, that shop is correct that the only adjustment is the toe angle. This thread should help you understand all of the measurements:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

I think the tire guy said the inside was worn a couple 32s more than the outside. Alignment guy said the toe was 3/16 off and he brought it in to 3/32. Hopefully this was the problem. Is there adjustable ball joints for jeeps? I’ve never looked it up. If so is there a preferred company that makes them. Thanks for reply

WJCO

Meme King
I think the tire guy said the inside was worn a couple 32s more than the outside. Alignment guy said the toe was 3/16 off and he brought it in to 3/32. Hopefully this was the problem. Is there adjustable ball joints for jeeps? I’ve never looked it up. If so is there a preferred company that makes them. Thanks for reply

I think there are. What was the camber reading that he gave you? Do you have the printout?

jeeeep

Hooked
if both sides are wearing somewhat equally, I'd look at the ball joints being worn out.

mine did similar but it was so minimal, hardly noticeable - guys at discount pointed it out.

I was replacing the knuckles and found the ball joints so loose I'm surprised my tires weren't any worse.

Moog has adjustable ball joints

Last edited:

Eroc147

Just had similar thing happen on Friday. Told me I had -1.25 on driver side so that’s why I’m pulling a little to right. Asked if I wanted them to order shims. Had never heard about it being an option before but I guess it is. Considering either doing that and replacing my ball joints or getting a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

Just had similar thing happen on Friday. Told me I had -1.25 on driver side so that’s why I’m pulling a little to right. Asked if I wanted them to order shims. Had never heard about it being an option before but I guess it is. Considering either doing that and replacing my ball joints or getting a second opinion.

From what I've seen about 1-1.25deg of camber is pretty common if ball joints and unit bearings are good. Very unlikely to cause a pull. Caster is what usually contributes to a pull or radial pull in a tire or road crown. Cross switch the front tires and see if your pull changes direction or goes away. If caster is even it will usually still drift right with road crown. Some tires are more susceptible to pulling also.

Eroc147

From what I've seen about 1-1.25deg of camber is pretty common if ball joints and unit bearings are good. Very unlikely to cause a pull. Caster is what usually contributes to a pull or radial pull in a tire or road crown. Cross switch the front tires and see if your pull changes direction or goes away. If caster is even it will usually still drift right with road crown. Some tires are more susceptible to pulling also.

My caster is right where it needs to be. The pull isn’t too bad. Mostly on two lane back roads at high speeds. I’ll take the Jeep up to DT this afternoon and get them to rotate and balance. See what that does. I just don’t see any way my C is bent with the mild wheeling I do and I can’t see a bend.

A.J.

My caster is right where it needs to be. The pull isn’t too bad. Mostly on two lane back roads at high speeds. I’ll take the Jeep up to DT this afternoon and get them to rotate and balance. See what that does. I just don’t see any way my C is bent with the mild wheeling I do and I can’t see a bend.

I agree with you. I am not saying you have anything bent. Just trying to help so you don’t get caught up chasing a pull that may have nothing to do with the alignment.

Lunchbucket

I went to the Jeep the Mac and Drummond island this weekend. It was very cool. Jeep heaven. Found out that yes the tubes even on the Dana 44 are weak. My cheapest answer is the moog ball joints. I have to order them according to what my camber read at the alignment shop.

Danitron

JKU Smiles

Could be ball joints or unit bearings. Check both.

I had a 4x4 mechanics shop tell me today that the -0.8 Camber on the left and right front axle is what is called the Jeep Smile, and can't be fixed with anything he would trust up in the Rockies. (Attached)

I've been searching around and see some people bending axles back, or trying ball joints or bearings or shims... anything work in this case?

2014 JKU Alignment.jpg

A.J.

I had a 4x4 mechanics shop tell me today that the -0.8 Camber on the left and right front axle is what is called the Jeep Smile, and can't be fixed with anything he would trust up in the Rockies. (Attached)

I've been searching around and see some people bending axles back, or trying ball joints or bearings or shims... anything work in this case?

View attachment 325560

The camber isn't really all that bad. Caster has a .4 deg split which could contribute to your pull. I agree the adjustable parts can make the alignment guy look good on the print out, but tend to "adjust" themselves off road and usually cause more problems. I would just run it and rotate often. Every 3-5000 miles including the spare if you can.

fiend

Caught the Bug

View attachment 325560

You can try some shims to fix the camber. I think SPC makes a one degree kit and maybe a half degree kit.

Top Bottom