Which winch?

wanderer

looking for recomendations for a winch for my JLU R. Which winch? I am not so fond of warn anymore and was thinking of something else. Suggestions ENGo superwinch, something else?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
looking for recomendations for a winch for my JLU R. Which winch? I am not so fond of warn anymore and was thinking of something else. Suggestions ENGo superwinch, something else?

Why not a fan of Warn?... Never heard anything bad about them other than price.

My Superwinch has been doing fine, though I've only used it a couple of times.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Please do tell. What happened with your Warn?

BobNH

Could be a bad experience, or listening to someone else's.
I have only seen two winches fail on runs over the last 10 years of wheeling and both were Warn's, both the same day. I am absolutely certain they were not properly maintained. Doesn't matter how good the product is, if you don't maintain it properly it will fail. Doesn't make it a bad product. But, many don't tell that part and just say the product is the problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BobNH

Why listen to them if they didn’t maintain their winches properly?

I would suggest a warn zeon

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Not really what I said. I knew that, and they never complained.
My point was a lot of shared experience comes from one side of the story, and that side always leans in the favor of the person telling it.

BobNH

.... [emoji848]

Meaning, they did not tell me the product was bad, nor did I say it was. It was an example given of a failure clearly due to maintenance, and it happens, but not everyone who says "My Warn is shit" adds "because I don't take care of it." Again, not saying that is what happened in my case, just saying this sort of omission is where a lot of people get their (mis)information.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Meaning, they did not tell me the product was bad, nor did I say it was. It was an example given of a failure clearly due to maintenance, and it happens, but not everyone who says "My Warn is shit" adds "because I don't take care of it." Again, not saying that is what happened in my case, just saying this sort of omission is where a lot of people get their (mis)information.

I get that no one will admit their stuff breaks due to lack of maintenance... but why base your opinion about warn due to poorly maintained warn winches.

Mark54

I recently bought a winch too. Speaking of maintenance...any basic tips to keep it healthy so mine doesn’t go bad like the ones above?

BobNH

I recently bought a winch too. Speaking of maintenance...any basic tips to keep it healthy so mine doesn’t go bad like the ones above?
Generally the manual will tell you, but keep the grease fresh, and make sure you unspool and spool the line a couple times a month. Make sure your connections aren't corroded, frayed, jacket melted/abraded/cut (I used plastic loom).
Again, most will be right in the manual. It just needs tlc and use.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Depends on the winch. Mine has no lubrication requirements. I pull the cable quarterly and clean it. Keep it wound under tension and try to keep the salt off it. This is what my manual says:

IMG_6863.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Could be a bad experience, or listening to someone else's.
I have only seen two winches fail on runs over the last 10 years of wheeling and both were Warn's, both the same day. I am absolutely certain they were not properly maintained. Doesn't matter how good the product is, if you don't maintain it properly it will fail. Doesn't make it a bad product. But, many don't tell that part and just say the product is the problem.

What models were they? We're the the VR series? Those are the Chinese made ones and could be part of the problem. Either way I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Warn if I were you. Especially as you said it was most likely maintenance issues which resulted in the failures. Learn from their costly mistakes and don't make them yourself.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Allenn

I have a harbor freight (Badlands) winch on my jL. Haven’t used it yet, but I’ve used them on other trucks with great luck. I also do lots of atv riding and use the same brand and it’s nothing to use one 10-15 times on a big mud riding trip and they have held up great. I’ve had several different types of winches can’t go wrong with a Warn obviously, but the Badlands has been great for me. My type of 4wheeling is more mud and water than rocks not many rocks here in Louisiana. They are actually on sale right now and can get the two year warranty no questions asked hard to beat the price. The 12k is on sale for 299$ right now plus tax and I think I payed 70$ for the two year warranty.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have a harbor freight (Badlands) winch on my jL. Haven’t used it yet, but I’ve used them on other trucks with great luck. I also do lots of atv riding and use the same brand and it’s nothing to use one 10-15 times on a big mud riding trip and they have held up great. I’ve had several different types of winches can’t go wrong with a Warn obviously, but the Badlands has been great for me. My type of 4wheeling is more mud and water than rocks not many rocks here in Louisiana. They are actually on sale right now and can get the two year warranty no questions asked hard to beat the price. The 12k is on sale for 299$ right now plus tax and I think I payed 70$ for the two year warranty.

I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about badlands winches, I think I’ve seen a couple of negative reviews out of about 100.

They are the same as smittybilt which is the same as Engo which is the same as the next Chinese garbage winch. All made in the same factory with a different sticker on the front.

Allenn

They are the same as smittybilt which is the same as Engo which is the same as the next Chinese garbage winch. All made in the same factory with a different sticker on the front.

Guess I’ve just been lucky. Heck it may burn up the first time I use it. So far they the one I’ve owned has did really well though. I guess time will tell.

Top Bottom