Don’t be dumb like me... service your bearings!

Well guys I found out the hard way yesterday what happens when you slack on servicing your wheel/hub bearings. Luckily the Jeep gave some warning before it broke and was able to get it off the road where it came apart. This right here is going to be an expensive lesson. I want to give credit to Dynatrac as they have said they will give me a discount on replacement parts, what an amazing company.

So the lesson here folks... don't be dumb like me! IMG_3319.jpg IMG_3323.jpg IMG_3325.jpg IMG_1758.jpg IMG_1757.jpg IMG_1756.jpg IMG_1759.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Isn’t it a unit bearing? If so, what servicing can you do? Just replace when worn, no?

WJCO

Meme King
Dana 60 with locking hubs? They probably are serviceable. Most of the other 1 tons I used to work on had to be serviced from time to time.

JAGS

Hooked
Are you running a wheel adapter of any kind? On the last pic I see rust of what looks like 5 lugs. Asking because maybe an adapter/spacer put extra stress on the bearing.

If not, never mind the question.

A.J.

It's a D60 that "someone" never repacked the bearings. Lol! Should have been lots of warning signs like growling noises that increased when turning, very hot hubs when driving and such. Bummer because you probably need the hubs and spindles as well as the bearings and races. Brakes, rotors, dang expensive day. I would repack them at the very least annually, but if your doing any water crossing then much more often.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, your not the first and won't be the last. It's amazing sometimes how things go gradually unnoticed until it either breaks or someone else notices what you gotten used to hearing and feeling. Good times!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's a D60 that "someone" never repacked the bearings. Lol! Should have been lots of warning signs like growling noises that increased when turning, very hot hubs when driving and such. Bummer because you probably need the hubs and spindles as well as the bearings and races. Brakes, rotors, dang expensive day. I would repack them at the very least annually, but if your doing any water crossing then much more often.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, your not the first and won't be the last. It's amazing sometimes how things go gradually unnoticed until it either breaks or someone else notices what you gotten used to hearing and feeling. Good times!

Yup! Needs a new hub assembly from dynatrac and the stubby hub conversion kit from warn. Needs all new bearings, ABS and wheel speed sensors, rotor, caliber, pads, seals, and a new wheel. It’s going to be an expensive one.

A.J.

Yup! Needs a new hub assembly from dynatrac and the stubby hub conversion kit from warn. Needs all new bearings, ABS and wheel speed sensors, rotor, caliber, pads, seals, and a new wheel. It’s going to be an expensive one.

Dang it! The wheel too! Ugh. Could you use it for the spare maybe? Some of the parts will come in pairs like the hub conversion so you can save the old parts that are still good for spares.

jdofmemi

Ouch!

On the bright side, at least you didn't have it fail at 70, and the wheel and hub come all the way off after breaking the caliper, jump the center divider on the freeway, and hit three different cars coming the other way.

A good rule of thumb is to give her a good check after every wheeling trip and check things over thoroughly during each oil change. Some things may not show signs right away, but it never hurts to check. I put mine up on the rack after EVERY outing and so far it has saved me a ton of money. Catching things before they cause a catastrophe like this is a lot easier on the wallet.

jeeeep

Hooked
damn, I felt the sucking sound from your wallet from over here! :icon_crazy:

This is part of my fear as I keep wanting more upgrades, the maintenance required versus my skills in putting it off until I hear noises that don't sound right :doh:

Top Bottom