Shocks

justtryingtolivd

I know it’s a dumb question to ask, but I’m going to do it anyway, how long do shocks last? I’ve got a rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift with bilstien shocks. I think I’ve got rough 60k miles on them. Normal highway driving, with some fire trails along the way. My Jeep has about 115k Miles on it. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd say that its somewhat subjective being that so many rigs are driven differently, have different weight based on bumpers, winch spare tire etc. Are they giving any indications of them being worn?

Not that I can tell, just wasn’t sure if there was like a certain mileage.

Blistien make a good shock and I’ve got a set on my old FJ60 land cruiser with well over 60k and they are still doing a great job. I’d imagine that like anything, you get what you pay for and while the higher priced shocks may last longer, it comes down to how the vehicle is being driven and what kind of routine maintenance it sees. I’m sure that the oil in some shocks certainly has a lifespan and at some point will break down to the point where it no longer does it’s job. Things like seals and weather or not the shafts get abused to the point where they tear into the seals is also another factor.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Not that I can tell, just wasn’t sure if there was like a certain mileage.

Milage is not a great gauge. Leaking oil means the seals are failing. Disconnect the lower bolt and compress to full stop by hand, then let go and let it decompress. If they are really easy to compress or it takes an eternity to decompress, then they are shot.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Milage is not a great gauge. Leaking oil means the seals are failing. Disconnect the lower bolt and compress to full stop by hand, then let go and let it decompress. If they are really easy to compress or it takes an eternity to decompress, then they are shot.

Agreed^^^ this tells a lot.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
So in the "biz" we use 50,000 miles as an "average", but as mentioned there are a lot of factors in this number.
:beer:

jdofmemi

The factory installed Rancho shocks on my F-350 were shot by 20,000 miles. The ones on factory Ford's suck, the last 3 super dutys I had did no better

The Rancho RS-9000's on my Toyota had nearly 80,000 on them, and were used very hard, and still in good shape

Bilsteins on my 2500 Chevy went over 100,000 with lots of off road, and were just starting to fade

Check yours as described above.

This is a perfect example of YMMV

UtahJK

The factory installed Rancho shocks on my F-350 were shot by 20,000 miles. The ones on factory Ford's suck, the last 3 super dutys I had did no better

The Rancho RS-9000's on my Toyota had nearly 80,000 on them, and were used very hard, and still in good shape

Bilsteins on my 2500 Chevy went over 100,000 with lots of off road, and were just starting to fade

Check yours as described above.

This is a perfect example of YMMV
What model Ranchos were on your Ford? I'm looking at new shocks for my tow pig and was looking at Ranchos.

Seth

My Bilsteins have over 60k miles and they are all doing great except one which has a minor leak. I'll get it serviced and the rest probably still have a lot of life left in them.

jdofmemi

What model Ranchos were on your Ford? I'm looking at new shocks for my tow pig and was looking at Ranchos.

I'm not sure what model they are. They are part of the fourX4 package and are factory installed. They are great when new, but don't last.

Look at the RS 9000. I have been very happy with them on several trucks. It is great that they are adjustable, so you can tune them to your set up and driving style

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Most likely the shocks that come with the FX package. The RS9000XL is a way, way bigger/better shock for this platform.
We are fortunate to do a lot of shocks in the Jeep world, but man, the 3/4 1 ton truck. Crazy.
:beer:

UtahJK

Most likely the shocks that come with the FX package. The RS9000XL is a way, way bigger/better shock for this platform.
We are fortunate to do a lot of shocks in the Jeep world, but man, the 3/4 1 ton truck. Crazy.
[emoji481]
So, they were a Ford specific shock and not like a 5000 or something?

UtahJK

I'm not sure what model they are. They are part of the fourX4 package and are factory installed. They are great when new, but don't last.

Look at the RS 9000. I have been very happy with them on several trucks. It is great that they are adjustable, so you can tune them to your set up and driving style
Do you find yourself adjusting them every time you have a load on/in the truck? I go from loaded to unloaded quite often and don't want to have to climb under the truck that frequently. Because of that I was thinking maybe the 7000s.

jdofmemi

I have never ran the 9000s on my work truck. On my Toyotas I would find the setting I like and leave it

Top Bottom