Used 2016 Rubicon JKU Hard Rock - Requesting thoughts [Please]

supreeth

Hi guys,

I'm back but firstly thanks for all the input and help on my previous post I tried to move forward with it but then apparently he decided he loved it too much & didn't want to sell it. Bummer :(

Oh well, onto the next one - which brings up the need for this post.
Here's another one I just saw.
2016 Rubicon JKU Hard Rock Edition - 13k miles https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=478849789
Just got off the phone with him, seems like a nice older gentleman (late 40s and 4 kids). Lives in Florida has multiple cars and doesn't have time to MALL CRAWL this hehe.

Here's my questions and would love your thoughts on these -

1. Sprintex Supercharger Kit - https://www.extremeterrain.com/sprintex-36-super-tuner-263A1001.html
    Thoughts on this upgrade please. Pros and cons? Is it a worthy addition and will it actually be of use for wheeling?
    Also does the supercharger sound way too loud in the bay or annoying on long roadtrips?
  2. AEV 3.5 inch lift kit - https://www.quadratec.com/p/aev/35-inch-dualsport-sc-lift-kit
    Is this the top of the line or average? Pros and cons?
  3. 4:1 Rock-Trac part time 4WD system (manual transmission) -
    How's the performance of 4.10 gear ratio on and off road with 35s on?
    Would I need to upgrade to 4.83s or will this do just fine for my needs (read below)?
  4. Dana 44 front and rear axles -
    I'm guessing I should be very happy with these?

I would your thoughts on these and the vehicle/deal in general. Anything I should know or be concerned about or advice.

To help better answer those questions, I'll mostly be using this as my mountain/adventure. I live the bay area (SF) and hit up the slopes in Tahoe almost every weekend. But now that the winter season's over, I can't wait to go check out some off-road trails around here. So I would be looking to build this (or any other JK) into a good off road capable vehicle. This is not going to be a daily driver, mostly weekends only. Considering I don't live real close to the mountains, I would be doing a lot of highway riding (and a little San Francisco city driving) - hence the gear ratio question.

I've attached a photo of the sticker, with all upgrades from showroom in this post too.

Is this a good deal, worth a serious look?
Again, thanks in advance and will be looking forward to hearing from you guys. And as per usual - learning more about Wranglers :)

Thanks,
Supreeth

Attachments

• Rubicon 2016 hard Rock - Sticker.jpg
    Rubicon 2016 hard Rock - Sticker.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 168

A.J.

No on the supercharger. Not worth the $ and completely unnecessary for off road. AEV lift is pretty basic nothing special. It will drive good with the drop brackets but better options out there if you get more ambitious with your off-roading. 4.10's will be fine for the 35's and the axles should be good just have some c-gussets welded on and your good to go. All in all a solid start and should work well for what you intend to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Edit: I see it already has the supercharger installed. Looks pretty clean and has a few other extras like tube doors etc. 39k is a little high in my opinion but if it's what you want why not?

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Seems like a lot of money for nothing. Why not buy brand new for $40k? Then you wouldn't have the settle/pay for "crap" mods...

Not to mention all the trouble that supercharger is going to bring you :dont_tell:

IMO the AEV springs and Bilstein shocks are fine, its the drop brackets/control arm cams B.S. for front pinion/caster that ruins it, I would consider this KIT - Entry level at best... There are WAY better kits out there for around the same cost... :Disappointed:

The 4:1 Transfer case is Standard on all Rubicons and only effects 4wd Low. You would still want to regear if you are spending a lot of time in the hills/mountains...

The d44 front and rear again, Standard on all Rubicons -> C-gussets, regear, brakes, Upgrade housing. :twocents:

so... like I said (and this is just my opinion) it seems like a whole lot of money, for nothing... Why not buy a brand new Rubicon :idontknow: we're talking basically the same amount of money

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
You might have trouble getting it smogged in California. I don’t think Sprintex is CARB approved.

Amrth

If I were you with that budget and had experience in owing a Jeep before, I would look around and pickup a weekend warrior kind of Jeep for half the budget and be happy about messing with the nuts and bolts on that Jeep

Second, since you are new to Jeeps.. GO buy a New JL wrangler, join a local club, drive around with them and then figure out what you need for your Jeep and go about modifying per you need and style. This will definitely suit your budget and give you more confidence on what your vehicle is capable of doing! BTW the new Jeep out of the showroom is more capable than you think..

Are you part of any local clubs in your area, if not I would recommend you look around and join one.. kind of helps you see their builds and figure out what you'd want in your Jeep..

Matter of fact I'd buy this and be happy about getting a great deal for my money..
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...JK-Wrangler-Rubicon-Unlimited-–-Bright-Silver

Last edited:

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
My 2 cents... Get a Rubicon basically stock, used or not. Start wheeling, maybe join some trips you find here on Wayalife or local clubs. Start doing the mods once you learn what you like to do. I bought my '16 and thought it would stay stock....
WRONG!!!
LOL

jdofmemi

That one is not for sale any more. It is the Jeep that I bought, I just used it as an example. Compared with the ad in your original post, it was way better equipped.

Good ones are out there, but VERY hard to find.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
That one is not for sale any more. It is the Jeep that I bought, I just used it as an example. Compared with the ad in your original post, it was way better equipped.

Good ones are out there, but VERY hard to find.
Very nice jeep!

jdofmemi

Thanks

It was a good find.
I've built rigs before, but this time I wanted to start out at a high level, equal to my last rig.

I did my research, and searched far and wide for the"right" one.

I also know each person has a different idea of what the "right" one is.

Top Bottom