Should I upgrade?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I may have an opportunity to buy a 2014 anvil colored Rubicon. It's stock so I would have to start my build over and I've almost 2 years into mine. Would it be worth switching over to the 3.6 vs the 3.8? I know the upgraded axles and lockers would be a nice addition but it will add another 2 years back to paying it off. It is an automatic also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So I may have an opportunity to buy a 2014 anvil colored Rubicon. It's stock so I would have to start my build over and I've almost 2 years into mine. Would it be worth switching over to the 3.6 vs the 3.8? I know the upgraded axles and lockers would be a nice addition but it will add another 2 years back to paying it off. It is an automatic also.

The 3.6 is much better than the 3.8 in my opinion (yes, I have had both). You could likely swap over most everything from your current Jeep, correct? The two more years payoff for a vehicle that is already four years old would be my bigger concern (even though Jeeps are fantastic at holding value).

May sound like a silly question, but have you considered getting a JLUR? That would only add 3 more years to the the two extra years payoff you are considering now...but you would be getting brand new, with a warranty, and a much better platform than either what you have now or the 2014.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
The 3.6 is much better than the 3.8 in my opinion (yes, I have had both). You could likely swap over most everything from your current Jeep, correct? The two more years payoff for a vehicle that is already four years old would be my bigger concern (even though Jeeps are fantastic at holding value).

May sound like a silly question, but have you considered getting a JLUR? That would only add 3 more years to the the two extra years payoff you are considering now...but you would be getting brand new, with a warranty, and a much better platform than either what you have now or the 2014.

Not silly at all and although I would love to buy and own a JLRU it's just out of my price range. Swapping over if definitely an option if the dealership will allow me time to swap over stock parts. I'm not too concerned with the value because I'll most likely keep it and pass it down to my son before upgrading again. I originally had the same plan with my current 2011 but had I known then what I know now I would have opted for a 2012+ Rubicon instead of sport.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't trade it in. With resale as high as it is, buy the one you want, take your time swapping everything over, then list the "stock" old one for private sale. You'll come out with more money in the long run. It's a little more risk, but could net you a few thousand dollars. You can always just sell it back to the dealer if you can't sell it yourself too. The "trade in" and "buying" are two separate transactions and don't have to happen at the same time. Dealerships love to lump them together because they make thousands on each. They'll still love to buy that used one and make a killing selling it for you...

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't trade it in. With resale as high as it is, buy the one you want, take your time swapping everything over, then list the "stock" old one for private sale. You'll come out with more money in the long run. It's a little more risk, but could net you a few thousand dollars. You can always just sell it back to the dealer if you can't sell it yourself too. The "trade in" and "buying" are two separate transactions and don't have to happen at the same time. Dealerships love to lump them together because they make thousands on each. They'll still love to buy that used one and make a killing selling it for you...
That's probably the best thing to do and will most likely what I'll do. Lets hope I have the patience and fortitude to not go on my impulse!

DP1120

Im struggling with the same thing right now truthfully. I have not gotten very deep into the build of the current one at the moment and pretty much everything i have done is pretty easily pulled off. I also have the stock parts for mine which makes it easier. It has come down to the amount i want to do to my 09 sport i would have been better off getting a 12+ rubicon to start when then i wouldnt have to change as much to get it the way i want. Mine also has a ton of miles on it which is somewhat of a factor in it.

Zstairlessone

Great advice, and don’t forget to negotiate your sale to the dealer and shop dealers. I’ve found it’s easier to separate the transactions like this, buy first then sell or if you have another vehicle sell first and you have either a down payment or a parts fund sitting in hand when you go to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
And other thing, if you end up selling to a dealer- I found a brand dealer that's different than your vehicle will pay more. i.e. don't sell it to a jeep dealer, they have too much inventory. Find a VW used car lot, etc.

mijku

Going from the 3.8 to 3.6 is an amazing thing. You can take grandma in her land yacht off the line and actually pass cars on the expressway. I took my 08jkru to dealer to see what my trade value was. Came home spent the weekend stripping everything but the lift and tires. Went to another dealer that had a 16jk hardrock i fell in love with. Gave me save trade value as 1st dealer with all of the goodies on. I debated on a personal sale but was too in love with new to think rationally. Once you go 3.6 you wont go back. Good thing i havent driven a V8 swap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I'm going to see a couple dealers tomorrow. They actually have some jl sports at a decent price, although I would love a Rubicon it's just out of my reach right now. I would really need to decide on the 2014 Rubicon vs 2018 sport jl. They will be almost the same price give or take 1500.

DP1120

Ive pretty much decided to trade mine once i get it back going again where i can trade it in anyway.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Ive pretty much decided to trade mine once i get it back going again where i can trade it in anyway.
If mine was stock I would consider it but the two dealerships I went to gave me just the blue book value. Surprisingly the Jeep dealership offered 4k more. I'm going to try and sell it privately and hope to grab a 2014+ Rubicon. Good luck, hope you find a good deal

DP1120

Ive found a few decent deals not too far from me but i am thinking they are going to try and screw me on trade in. We will see as soon as the transmission is back in it. I kept all my stock parts so it will be easy to go back to stock before i take it in.

Cobound

We went from an '08 Sahara off the showroom floor to a '14 Rubi (white - wife picked the color) off the floor...the 3.6L was a definite upgrade. That alone was worth it.

After putting over 100k on the '08, about 50k on the '14, I sold my Scrambler and wanted something newer and as built as the Scrambler I just let go...so I started putting a build sheet together on the '14 we already had...then I happened upon another '14 with everything on my list, and Anvil. Bam, I sold my Corvette and the white Rubi, bought the wife a nice TJ, and snagged a '14 Rubi on D60/80 and 40's. Personally, I'm happier w/ it than I ever would have been putting years into a build and paying for every part.

Have you considered searching for one that already has what you're looking for on it? Not only save you some money on the build end, you get to use it NOW, right away, vs spending all that garage time on it. I know some live for that, Lord knows I used to, but situations change, etc. Of course, might be a tough find if you're looking for JUST that color...but Anvil is pimp, super glad I found mine.

Anyway, good luck, you'll really like the 3.6 over the 3.8.

B

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
We went from an '08 Sahara off the showroom floor to a '14 Rubi (white - wife picked the color) off the floor...the 3.6L was a definite upgrade. That alone was worth it.

After putting over 100k on the '08, about 50k on the '14, I sold my Scrambler and wanted something newer and as built as the Scrambler I just let go...so I started putting a build sheet together on the '14 we already had...then I happened upon another '14 with everything on my list, and Anvil. Bam, I sold my Corvette and the white Rubi, bought the wife a nice TJ, and snagged a '14 Rubi on D60/80 and 40's. Personally, I'm happier w/ it than I ever would have been putting years into a build and paying for every part.

Have you considered searching for one that already has what you're looking for on it? Not only save you some money on the build end, you get to use it NOW, right away, vs spending all that garage time on it. I know some live for that, Lord knows I used to, but situations change, etc. Of course, might be a tough find if you're looking for JUST that color...but Anvil is pimp, super glad I found mine.

Anyway, good luck, you'll really like the 3.6 over the 3.8.

B
That's definitely crossed my mind. Depending on what I can find locally although I don't find a lot of built up jeeps around here. I'd just have to get lucky and wait. After test driving Clay's 14 Rubicon on 35s, I'm definitely sold on the 3.6. I just have to sell mine now, hate the waiting game.

jeeeep

Hooked
The transmission alone would be a good reason to trade up.

I've got a 2010 Rubi and 2015 Sport ..Correction, I had a 2015 Sport, my daughter has it now lol

If I didn't have so many upgrades on my 2010 I would trade up in a heartbeat. The 3.6 and especially the transmission Is so much better than the 3.8

I've considered upgrading and doing a parts swap but it looks a lot easier on paper than the reality of doing the work in the driveway and having 2 Jeeps I can't drive for some unknown period of time.

I'm eyeing a JL because of the minimal upgrades need to run 37's and wheel it versus a newer JK and swapping parts or starting over.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug

I've got a 2010 Rubi and 2015 Sport ..Correction, I had a 2015 Sport, my daughter has it now lol

If I didn't have so many upgrades on my 2010 I would trade up in a heartbeat. The 3.6 and especially the transmission Is so much better than the 3.8

I've considered upgrading and doing a parts swap but it looks a lot easier on paper than the reality of doing the work in the driveway and having 2 Jeeps I can't drive for some unknown period of time.

I'm eyeing a JL because of the minimal upgrades need to run 37's and wheel it versus a newer JK and swapping parts or starting over.
I keep debating over and over on the two options. 2014 Rubicon or 2018 sport jl. They are both in my price range but the jl is obviously stock and the Rubicon is built almost the way I want it. Although it's a sport, I may just do the jl and upgrade vs just having a jk Rubicon. But do I wait until 2019? Argh the agony

Zstairlessone

If you’re trying to save money don’t, I repeat don’t watch the Jet-Li videos or you’ll be trading up to the JL pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dale72

Hooked
I keep debating over and over on the two options. 2014 Rubicon or 2018 sport jl. They are both in my price range but the jl is obviously stock and the Rubicon is built almost the way I want it. Although it's a sport, I may just do the jl and upgrade vs just having a jk Rubicon. But do I wait until 2019? Argh the agony

If it's the Jk that's at the dealer in Jackson on 55 that I'm thinking of wait and get the JL

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom